What do you say -- about time of day?

Ah man that's like my wife. Shower before workout and then another after. She does Zumba classes in the evenings, so on those days she takes THREE showers! I never understand the need to shower right before a workout. This past Saturday I was cleaning out a garage most of the day and didn't even bother to shower that morning. No point IMHO.

I just can't leave the house unshowered. Can't do it. If I'm running in the morning from home, I run and then shower. But during the week when I'm going to the gym, I shower first. Everyone else in the gym is probably grateful.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I essentially place a high value in its accomplishment. ... Stay focused and commited and there is no doubt in my mind that you can get below 200lbs :)
I like that phrase, 'place a high value in its accomplishment.' That's been key for me. I actually give workout a higher priority than work sometimes, because the former makes the latter more productive.
As for the weight, thanks for the encouragement, I know it'll come off. I average one or two pounds per month, without any real dietary concessions or hardship, so by next year sometime I should be in pretty good shape, possibly sooner if I can consistently exercise six to seven days a week, an hour per day, which may be possible with an early morning schedule.

I'll run in the PM up to 90F or so, and then, under duress, switch to AM runs.
It's funny, I kind of like those really hot summer runs, and the tingly feeling up and down my spine when I stop, but I never run more than five miles on those.
That almost makes up for the gruesome earliness.
That's a good way to put it. Have you ever run early AM consistently enough to where some of the gruesome earliness was less stress? That's what I'm hoping will happen, that I will adapt within a week or two and actually wake up looking forward to a good run or workout first thing. Kinda like BG sleeping in his running shorts, although I prefer barebody sleeping, so I'll have to make sure the shorts or sweats are laid out the night before so I don't make too much noise dressing.
I can run without traffic anytime, and usually am more concerned with staying in the shade in the PMs.
I didn't quite follow that. Are you saying with traffic you can only run certain times of the day?

I just can't leave the house unshowered. Can't do it. If I'm running in the morning from home, I run and then shower. But during the week when I'm going to the gym, I shower first. Everyone else in the gym is probably grateful.
That's the beauty of working out at home. I remember when I worked out in a gym in São Paulo, Brazil that was full of models and beautiful people. One of the personal trainers came up to me and told me to come to the gym less stinky. Previously I had only worked out in serious free-weights, lifting-type gyms, so it took me a while to adopt to the different mindset. But he was right; in mixed company, you gotta watch the BO.

"That other place" was...okay, but it didn't feel like home. It was unpleasant, to say the least, at times, sometimes hostile, at other times. It's sad that it has turned out the way it has, after all the work I and others put into it. And it was fine that we had a place to talk about BFR, but Jason and I and the others wanted to meet and run with other barefoot runners. He wanted to conduct clinics and have conventions, and I wanted running clubs (starting with my own state first). I felt we needed a home of our own, and I and the others wanted to offer more resources to the members, resources that you won't find in other running clubs and websites. We wanted/want to be the one-stop shop for all things barefoot and minimalist running.

Reactions: Barefoot Everett
"That other place" was...okay, but it didn't feel like home. It was unpleasant, to say the least, at times, sometimes hostile, at other times. It's sad that it has turned out the way it has, after all the work I and others put into it. And it was fine that we had a place to talk about BFR, but Jason and I and the others wanted to meet and run with other barefoot runners. He wanted to conduct clinics and have conventions, and I wanted running clubs (starting with my own state first). I felt we needed a home of our own, and I and the others wanted to offer more resources to the members, resources that you won't find in other running clubs and websites. We wanted/want to be the one-stop shop for all things barefoot and minimalist running.
Thanks so much!!!

I read somewhere that people who exercise consistently tend to do it first thing in the morning, but I also read that one’s body isn’t very prepared for exercise right after it awakens (lower hear rate and body temp, I think were the reasons, although testosterone levels are high, at least for men, in the morning, which is good for strength-training).

Well the only thing 'constant' about my schedule is that it will always be different, mainly because of my rotating shift schedule at work. It does take a few extra moments to get going in the morning but once I'm running for a few minutes I dont notice my performance is any worse, in fact I think during the heat of the summer my performance is significantly better. Running at my MAF HR on a cool summer morning compared to a hot evening my pace can be a couple minutes faster (in some cases, a few minutes even)!

But I rarely get up early. When I am working dayshifts I have to get up a 4am already. And I am not a morning person. I usually dont get to bed until 10-11pm, and often times when I start my first one I coming off nights and not used to sleeping at night and often get a quick hour or two nap in before 4am and thats it. Combined with ~5hr sleep the next few nights leaves me tired and no way I am going to sacrifice any more sleep. I'll either run at the park on the way home or when I get home 6-7pm.

When I am working nights I actually get more sleep, usually at least 6hrs. I'll run when I wake up at 2-3pm, thats early morning for me but you miss out on the cool temps of early AM. If its too hot I'll run on may way home from work in the morning, 6am, but its really late at night for me then lol.

My days off are my chance to sleep well so I rarely interrupt them with early morning runs. I actually sleep a good 10+ hours on my first day off and then settle in at ~8hrs sleep.

Another thing to consider if your running on the roads... I think drivers are going to be a whole lot less sharp early morning. I know I am (reflexes somewhere in the range of a zombie).

Congrats on hitting a 1000!

Well the only thing 'constant' about my schedule is that it will always be different, mainly because of my rotating shift schedule at work.
Man, that's a seriously f**ked up schedule. Congrats to you for getting any kind of exercise in at all!
Although I tend to stay on cement sidewalks and asphalt paths, it's pretty easy to hear cars coming early in the morning, especially since the feet are so silent. And my neighborhood and the fairgrounds adjoining it where I will do most of my early morning running only have a few busy streets, so traffic isn't much of a factor for me. And this morning a truck actually stopped for me so that I could cross one of those streets. I wonder if that would've happened later in the day with more traffic and a more harried driver.
So far, the only real disadvantage I'm seeing with early morning runs is that I won't likely get out to my river and lake paths as much, unless on the days I have errands to run I hold off on the run so that I can combine them when the errands take me close to one of the paths (which are abundant in the Twin Cities).

I have always found running first thing in the morning to be the best for me. If when I do two a day, both runs are done before lunch. If I do plan a run in the evening or night, I feel like I need to be more careful about what I eat. Traffic is also really bad after 7am. So I try to make sure I am back home before then. Also, before 6am, most of the lights are flashing and there is hardly any traffic, so I can just run through the lights.

That's the beauty of working out at home. I remember when I worked out in a gym in São Paulo, Brazil that was full of models and beautiful people. One of the personal trainers came up to me and told me to come to the gym less stinky. Previously I had only worked out in serious free-weights, lifting-type gyms, so it took me a while to adopt to the different mindset. But he was right; in mixed company, you gotta watch the BO.

Man that's so ridiculous. Anyone who goes to a GYM and works out has to expect some odors. If not then they're full of themselves. That's just how it is.

Reactions: NickW
Man that's so ridiculous. Anyone who goes to a GYM and works out has to expect some odors. If not then they're full of themselves. That's just how it is.
Yah, I was kind of offended but I could work out there for free, and it was close to where I was living, so that's how I ended up there. It was more of a aerobics type place, with a pretty minimal set of free weights. Lots of eye candy though.
Also, I've since found that using Neutrogena facial soap on the pits really cuts down on the odor. No pore-blocking film I guess. It's more expensive than something like Irish Spring, but if you just use it on your pits and keep it dry when you're not using it, it lasts a long time.

It's funny, I kind of like those really hot summer runs, and the tingly feeling up and down my spine when I stop, but I never run more than five miles on those.

No, I don't like the "tingly" feeling. The one I get seems more like the precursor to falling over.

That's a good way to put it. Have you ever run early AM consistently enough to where some of the gruesome earliness was less stress? That's what I'm hoping will happen, that I will adapt within a week or two and actually wake up looking forward to a good run or workout first thing. Kinda like BG sleeping in his running shorts, although I prefer barebody sleeping, so I'll have to make sure the shorts or sweats are laid out the night before so I don't make too much noise dressing.

No. Don't want to. As far as "barebody" sleeping, is that bare bare? (winky emoticon)I too would consider running shorts too much to sleep in. How much trouble is it to pull on a pair of shorts, anyway?

I didn't quite follow that. Are you saying with traffic you can only run certain times of the day?

Where I run there's never any traffic to speak of, unless it's bicycles or deer. I'd rather concern myself with thinking of shade.

That last post was a train wreck. I don't know how to use the embedded "___said" stuff. I'm too frustrated to figure it out now.

Lee, thanks for the questions. I've been starting work at 0600 or 0700 for too many years to find it romantic to get up early. I'd just rather run during civilized hours. Having said that I was done my 5 mile run at 0645 this morning to avoid the 100F temps this PM. Jumped into the canal and swam for 5 minutes, too!

Where I run there's never any traffic to speak of, unless it's bicycles or deer. I'd rather concern myself with thinking of shade.

OK, got it. Sounds very nice.

And yes, I meant bare bare-naked. I don't get the whole nightwear thing--even on the coldest nights I prefer an extra blanket or comforter to PJs.

For the embedded stuff, I just copied the post I was responding to three times, and then cut out the parts of each section I wasn't responding to (A,B,C), and then inserted my comments/questions (x,y,z) in-between:

(ABC) --> (ABC) (ABC) (ABC) --> (ABC)(ABC)(ABC)--> (A)x(B)y(C)z.

I know the diagram probably doesn't help. I just like making them.

Reactions: Lomad

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon