Mileage Reporting 37th week 2013

2.75 miles around the waterfront BAREFOOT! It was no coincidence that I ended my run at the Salmon St. fountain! And I'm pretty sure the strangers' words, "barefoot", "OMG", and "dangerous" were for me!

My weigh in this morning was 143.6 lbs.
Are we all supposed to report our weight now, too??? :nailbiting: Actually, I haven't weighed myself in months now and it is probably for the best.

So far today, just upper body work carrying heavy computer around. Sigh. Hope to swim or bike.

Easy 3 miler this morn at 5am 78 deg. A few bun buns here and there otherwise uneventful. Humidity still in the tropical zone makeing me gulp air in an unbecoming manner. Dreaming of my fantasy cocktail of conditions of 60 with 30% humidity. I thing I might be able to run like a prize filly then.

All parts good
Sounds like you should just swing on over to Idaho for a run. Pretty much have those conditions in the morning right now. :)
Just figured out you probably mean bunny rabbits!

2.5 miles yesterday in mugginess, and 5 miles today with 1/2 mile cool/stretch walk at end for 5.5 miles today. Today at the end of my run, the last mile, I caught up to the grade 4-6 running club from the elementary school in my neighborhood. Damn those grade 6'ers are fast. They kicked my butt, the fast bunch had great form and ran like gazelles, no heel strikers in that bunch. I did manage to pass a good portion of them though and heard a lot of "did you see that guy, no shoes", "wow, that's neat", and a lot of quiet whispers, also heard their teacher comment as to how there are not to many barefoot runners here in Manitoba. I would like to have been a fly on the wall when that group got back to their gym. :D But I am not mad that I got poned by those grade sixers, if I use Dama's age handicaping system I would have kicked their butt and come in first to win the cash like she did. :rolleyes: All in all a great day running on a cool day for change, tomorrow a quick fast run and back to chasing golf balls in the afternoon. :)
Great story, especially the comment on age-grading. :hilarious:

i got in a short trail run yesterday. went to a trail i used to run. it has so much gravel. i can't believe i ran there so much. was fun but shorter than i thought it was.

5 mile road run today. went without the dog so i could run and not have to keep him on leash and stop continuously. felt good. must have had too much caffeine or the run gave me too much energy because i went for a 13 mile bike ride later in the evening.

Laura, you know they make new computers called notebooks and tablets that are much easier to carry around than computers. a rolling desk might be better to move your computer around. :borg:

Thursday morning: 1-mile run-commute to office
Thursday afternoon: 8.44-mile run-commute home.

It had been a while since I had run down to the Mississippi River, so I ran down there, over to the West Bank, up to the Stone Arch Bridge (http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=268)(http://www.mrdbridges.com/stoneArch.php), and then back over to the East Bank and home through the Minneapolis UofM campus. Lots of runners out on the river's paths, including a real runner who seemed to be going twice as fast as me. Around the campus the sidewalks were teeming. It was kinda cool to pull in a little publicity for Barefoot Running. I had to keep up a decent pace till the very end, because I was running a little late to pick up the kids, but just as I got home my wife called to tell me she would pick up the kids on her way home from class if I would start grilling the chicken. Deal, and I immediately popped open a damn cold Saga IPA.

Took some pics.

Crossing over Franklin Avenue Bridge to Minneapolis.
13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 1.jpg

One nice thing about this part of the river is that it's full of bridges, so you can easily adjust the route distance 13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 2.jpg

Mill City
13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 3.jpg

The Stone Arch Bridge
13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 5.jpg

Lots of different textures on this route--including wood (as well as gravel and mild chipseal)
13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 4.jpg

We used to party around here in HS. The whole area used to be a dump until it was revamped while I was away traveling in the 80s and early 90s
13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 6.jpg

Ruins turned into an ampitheater inside
13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 7.jpg

The reason Minneapolis exists; this used to be the last navigable part of the river for bigger vessels. Then they built a spillway and a lock on top of the falls and rapids, so no more need for portage. 13.09.12--Run to Stone Arch Bridge 8.jpg

Yesterday Had a excellent 5 mile run at 5:00 am., 81 deg., 62% rh.. Heard 2 separate owls. A couple of times got that feeling of floating along (too cool).

Are we all supposed to report our weight now, too??? :nailbiting: .
Only if one is making progress. Judging from your new avatar, I'd say you're all set. I'm renewing my push towards 200 lbs/34 waist. Another goal on my fitness bucket list I suppose.
So I've got my forty in already, that means I can kick back the rest of the week.;)
It's funny, I've recently made 30mpw my goal. Something new to obsess about I guess. So I know what you're talking about; I missed Sunday and Monday, but after yesterday's run and this morning's 1-mile run-commute, I only have 10 miles to complete this aft and tomorrow, so I can relax a bit.

Ok, just checked our weather report and it looks like we may have rain during a 10k on the 21st. We are in a level 8 drought here in Dallas. Chances for rain runnung are very rare.I need some advice please from you seasoned veterans of running. Coz even though I'm a summer chicken, I'm fairly new to running. Never have run more then 3 in rain. Should 6 be any different?

Yeah, I don't think weigh-ins are a required feature, I just saw that Lee posted his weight yesterday and since I weigh myself every morning and put it in my log of blood sugars, insulin, weight, and number of steps counted by the pedometer, I just thought I'd add mine in. I'm back on the skinny side of things again. There was a time in 2010 when I was up to near 165 lbs with most that being muscle, and a tiny bit of extra padding.

Had another running dream last night, and people were asking me why I was running barefoot. I said it felt good. They said, "What do you mean?" I thought about it and said, "Well, it's hard to describe, it's like trying to describe colors to a blind person. I feel a whole bunch of good sensations that you don't because your feet are trapped in shoes and blindfolded. You don't know about the colors under your feet."

I combed through the running log last night and found out that yesterday's easy run of that out-and-back is the fastest I've ever run that. I've almost always run that run easy, but I did have one entry tagged as a fartlek, but it was still 12 seconds slower than yesterday's.

Last bit of random stuff is that last week I came across a Youtube video showing a cat which had been outfitted with some shoes on its feet. The cat was thrown way off kilter, you would see it lift its feet and put them down and realize that it just didn't feel right. It made me wonder if every day that people wear shoes they aren't getting a similar sort of subtle psychological effect. We have all those nerves down in the soles of our feet, but they aren't getting the information and feedback they maybe expect. And maybe that's subtly adding to the rate of depression or other psychological difficulties we see in our times and culture. That's very speculative though. And I'm certainly not going to say that taking off our shoes can cure depression. Depression is a wicked beast to wrestle and it's probably not any one simple feature of our physiologies and culture.

Yeah, I don't think weigh-ins are a required feature, I just saw that Lee posted his weight yesterday and since I weigh myself every morning and put it in my log of blood sugars, insulin, weight, and number of steps counted by the pedometer, I just thought I'd add mine in. I'm back on the skinny side of things again. There was a time in 2010 when I was up to near 165 lbs with most that being muscle, and a tiny bit of extra padding.

Had another running dream last night, and people were asking me why I was running barefoot. I said it felt good. They said, "What do you mean?" I thought about it and said, "Well, it's hard to describe, it's like trying to describe colors to a blind person. I feel a whole bunch of good sensations that you don't because your feet are trapped in shoes and blindfolded. You don't know about the colors under your feet."

I combed through the running log last night and found out that yesterday's easy run of that out-and-back is the fastest I've ever run that. I've almost always run that run easy, but I did have one entry tagged as a fartlek, but it was still 12 seconds slower than yesterday's.

Last bit of random stuff is that last week I came across a Youtube video showing a cat which had been outfitted with some shoes on its feet. The cat was thrown way off kilter, you would see it lift its feet and put them down and realize that it just didn't feel right. It made me wonder if every day that people wear shoes they aren't getting a similar sort of subtle psychological effect. We have all those nerves down in the soles of our feet, but they aren't getting the information and feedback they maybe expect. And maybe that's subtly adding to the rate of depression or other psychological difficulties we see in our times and culture. That's very speculative though. And I'm certainly not going to say that taking off our shoes can cure depression. Depression is a wicked beast to wrestle and it's probably not any one simple feature of our physiologies and culture.
I've been a casual barefooter my whole adult life. I always think about how much everyone shod is missing out on, although I wear shoes too. Today my feet are a bit sore from yesterday's run on mild chipseal and a good dose of gravel, but in a good kinda way.

The only times in my life I've ever felt depressed were when I don't exercise. After two or three years of graduate school and no exercise, I began to feel depressed and got insomnia. A doc prescribed Paxil. I tried it for three days and felt horribly numb and apathetic. So I ditched that and started getting back into shape. Problem solved--good mood, good sleep, good energy, good concentration. The fact that running takes you outside into the elements and barefooting brings you in touch with the ground, just enhances the benefits of exercise, I think.

I've been a casual barefooter my whole adult life. I always think about how much everyone shod is missing out on, although I wear shoes too. Today my feet are a bit sore from yesterday's run on mild chipseal and a good dose of gravel, but in a good kinda way.

The only times in my life I've ever felt depressed are when I don't exercise. After two or three years of graduate school and no exercise, I began to feel depressed and got insomnia. A doc prescribed Paxil. I tried it for three days and felt horribly numb. So I ditched that and started getting back in shape. Problem solved--good mood, good sleep, good energy, good concentration. The fact that running takes you outside into the elements and barefooting brings you in touch with the ground, enhances the benefits of exercise, I think.

I definitely agree about activity and exercise. I'm at my best when I get physical activity in. But what I've been experiencing with barefoot running has been making me think a lot. So far I've observed that a runner's high comes on quicker and much more intensely when I run barefoot. The only couple of runner's highs I've had in my shod past which were comparably strong happened when I was reaching the end of my first half-marathon and when I had an impromptu 10-miler in February 2008. Yesterday when I ran barefoot, at around the 15 minute mark I began to experience the surroundings of me with a weird clarity. It felt like I was hearing everything around me, my feet were caressing the asphalt and that even though it was dreadfully hot and humid, I was still capable of gliding along.

I've never had a gliding feel run in heat and humidity before. But it happened yesterday.

I guess my feeling is that it may be much harder for shod runners to connect into those sorts of feelings, because of their soles not getting all the feedback and information that evolution gave us the nervous system to experience. It can still happen, but it takes longer. Just like a shod runner can get a sense of the spring that Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talks about, but it's harder to feel. I have to pay close attention to feel the spring when I use the Xeros, it's just not nearly as strong and obvious.

Maybe feeling that is a nearly necessary part of us feeling full and human. Our feet got wired to expect input and pass that along to our brains. Our brains grew in response to that to make us into hunters, trackers, and communicators. Running barefoot may have help drive the development of language in us. With language, we have a tool to construct our identities and ponder those, and share them with friends, family and lovers. Just how much has our modern culture lost in the development of demanding people be shod? Just how much have we all lost as individuals?

Resting today (except for some chins and dips).
The reason for the resent runs in my shoes, as you might have noticed, is a mix between a feeling that I need to run and still can't as much as I want to in my vff, and the fact that tomorrow I'll run a 10K race :D which I'll do in my shoes.
I have been registered for that race for a couple of months. I had hoped (before I had an idea of how long time it takes to transition) that I could do it in the vff, but yeah.. you all know the rest...

I definitely agree about activity and exercise. I'm at my best when I get physical activity in. But what I've been experiencing with barefoot running has been making me think a lot. So far I've observed that a runner's high comes on quicker and much more intensely when I run barefoot. The only couple of runner's highs I've had in my shod past which were comparably strong happened when I was reaching the end of my first half-marathon and when I had an impromptu 10-miler in February 2008. Yesterday when I ran barefoot, at around the 15 minute mark I began to experience the surroundings of me with a weird clarity. It felt like I was hearing everything around me, my feet were caressing the asphalt and that even though it was dreadfully hot and humid, I was still capable of gliding along.

I've never had a gliding feel run in heat and humidity before. But it happened yesterday.

I guess my feeling is that it may be much harder for shod runners to connect into those sorts of feelings, because of their soles not getting all the feedback and information that evolution gave us the nervous system to experience. It can still happen, but it takes longer. Just like a shod runner can get a sense of the spring that Dr. Mark Cucuzzella talks about, but it's harder to feel. I have to pay close attention to feel the spring when I use the Xeros, it's just not nearly as strong and obvious.

Maybe feeling that is a nearly necessary part of us feeling full and human. Our feet got wired to expect input and pass that along to our brains. Our brains grew in response to that to make us into hunters, trackers, and communicators. Running barefoot may have help drive the development of language in us. With language, we have a tool to construct our identities and ponder those, and share them with friends, family and lovers. Just how much has our modern culture lost in the development of demanding people be shod? Just how much have we all lost as individuals?
Well-put!

I think the sensory feedback is especially important for children's development.

I never had any problems running shod, but bare is so much better, it definitely heightens the other senses too. Lately I've been running bare in the dark. It's worth the occasional sharp rock because my eyes and ears really perk up when I have to run a little more cautiously, using my feet to sense the surface even more than in daylight.

And when I ran shod, five miles always felt like about enough. When I'm bare I want more. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to run 30mpw if I were running shod. The difference between running shod and running bare is probably the same as running on a dreadmill and running outside. I hate it on those really cold winter days when I have to don the minimalist shoes. The run doesn't feel complete.

Funny, on yesterday's run, just before getting home, I took a shortcut over some railroad tracks. Just as I got there a train came through, so I had to stop and wait for a few minutes. As I stood there waiting, I looked down at the big rocks, and wondered what it would be like to master running on those . . . If there's a zen of running, it's definitely gotta be done bare.

Well, the foot I think is better now, must have been a bruise or strain or something. Yesterday I ran around the park with my son quite a bit (probably 1/4 to 1/2 miles worth) and had no problems later from it so now I am debating on doing a short run this morning. My soles are all bruised still, probably from the gravel near the fire jump of last weekends race, so I am sure I will wear some sort of footwear if I do run. Really struggling with myself on if I should run yet or if I should just wait until at least Sunday so I give myself a full week of recovery....

Ok, just checked our weather report and it looks like we may have rain during a 10k on the 21st. We are in a level 8 drought here in Dallas. Chances for rain runnung are very rare.I need some advice please from you seasoned veterans of running. Coz even though I'm a summer chicken, I'm fairly new to running. Never have run more then 3 in rain. Should 6 be any different?
Take it easy, especially in the early miles, and make sure you are not pushing off and all should be well.
I find warm rain runs really refreshing and I'm not unduly troubled by softening skin - so long as I'm moving all the time. If it's raining while you wait to start it is probably worth having some shoes you can discard - or someone to hand them off to - to avoid softening your plantar skin.

Have fun!

Take it easy, especially in the early miles, and make sure you are not pushing off and all should be well.
I find warm rain runs really refreshing and I'm not unduly troubled by softening skin - so long as I'm moving all the time. If it's raining while you wait to start it is probably worth having some shoes you can discard - or someone to hand them off to - to avoid softening your plantar skin.

Have fun!

How about some plastic supermarket bags over the feet and held in place with rubber bands to keep the plantar skin from softening? And then telling people that yes that's what you plan to run in? That'd probably give Owlrun plenty of space to run as no one is going to want to be too close to someone like that.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7