Mileage Reporting 37th week 2013

Sunny, but cool, needed to go long-sleeve and then roll up the sleeves after 15 minutes. 2.8 miles in the Xeros, I saw another runner approaching as I approached the turnaround point for the out-and-back I was running. So as I hit my turnaround, and she was maybe 10 yards away, I raised my right arm and said, "Good morning!" I didn't get any response back and don't know whether her mind was puzzling over why was that guy running in sandals.

Good feeling run, yesterday's recovery pace did the trick and my feet and legs felt light. Also turned the cool trick of running the back portion faster than the out portion, and that's a good one because this particular out-and-back is more downhill on the way out and more uphill on the way back.

Well approximately 2 years ago today I started barefoot running! :barefoot: Last year, on the 10th, I wrote up a post about my 1yr anniversary run (http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/my-1yr-anniversary-run-lots-of-pics.7464/ ) and today I did the same run. 13 and change rail trail out through beautiful countryside here in Ohio and along the Kokosing river. Well its nice for Ohio anyway. But last year, that was the longest run I had done up to that point, 13.5 miles, and only the third time I think I'd been over 12. This year, instead of running 13.5 and having my bike stashed at the end for a return trip, I headed out to do most of it and back running. My record was 20 miles, two weekends ago. It was hot and muggy and I was at the brink of exhaustion. Today was nice and cool (~60F) and it felt so nice! I planned on upping my previous long run by 10%, so 22 miles. I had the garmin on and figured I'd just do 11 out and back. A couple miles shy of the end of the trail, so I'll save the whole thing for a future run.

I experimented with eating grapes along the way and it really seemed to help, I never got hungry and felt pretty full of energy. Didnt seem to have any problems eating them either, but I was maintaining a pretty modest pace. The trail was probably more crowded than I had ever seen. Still not actually 'crowded' but did pass people frequently. Lots of comments about the bare feet today, something I don't often get. I also went music free for the first time on a long run in a long while. Lots of insects and birds making noise, and it was just such a nice day I felt great just enjoying it with my ears.

Finished up at 22 miles on the dot in 3:38 (includes my warmup and cooldown), taking those out my main part of the run was 19 miles and I did it in 2:59 for an average 9:26 pace. I hope to be able to knock almost a minute off that pace in my upcoming marathon but I'm not too worried if I hit that goal or not. I didnt have any big issues with this run, which is suprising being the first time at any particular mileage usually leaves me pretty sore and strained. Now I am a bit sore and strained but only minor, much much better than the 20 miler I did the weekend before last. I even picked up the pace for a couple miles about 4 miles from the end.

Previous this week... Tuesday was going to be my sprints but it was 88F and humid and I felt like a slug. I barely pulled off 4.5miles at over a 10 minute pace!

Thursday I did sprints, well not actually sprints but my 1/2 mile speed repeats. 9 miles total, with 6x 1/2 mile repeats from 6-7 minute pace.

So week total for me is 35.5 miles. Think that might be a record too! Next weekend will be a 5k race, and no long run (counting it as a rest week for mileage, and the 5k will take the place of my speed workout) and then I'll have one more long run weekend after that before I start tapering. Next weekends race will be my first attempt at breaking 20 minutes in my adult life. Hopefully my energy reserves will be back by then!

4 miles Friday and 3 miles today for a weekly total of 51. The runs at the front of the week beat me up. Back to every other day running. Also, no more trying to increase my pace. A little sprint fired up my PF a bit so I'm going to add more hiking and reduce the running a bit.
Well I just stopped in today so not sure what your earlier runs were but dang your cranking out some mileage! Awesome.

1 mile micro run this morning. Fast pace, had too keep warm as this morning was on the minus side of 0 Celcius. My outdoor thermometer showed a temp between 0 and -1 on my return. Bring on the winter challenge.
I don't want to hear that! :coldfeet: It was in the 90's here just a few days ago! Finally getting used to the heat, and now the mercury starts dropping. But honestly, I have given some thought to moving lately, to a slightly colder climate but cant stop thinking about how it will impact my runs! In the modest winter of central ohio is a pain to keep mileage up. I do like winter for many reasons, but don't look forward to running in it. :( maybe I'll eventually adapt to colder running, just hasnt seemed like it the last two winters (and they have actually been mild ones). I ran so few that would count in the winter challenge I never bothered to enter in that.

Got that 14 mile run in this afternoon. I almost abandoned the thought as my left knee cap has been giving me a little aggravation.

This afternoon I said F&@$ it and went for a run, wasn't planning on doing the 14 but I did. My time was 2 hours 8 minutes. A big comment and heckling afternoon too during the run.

Anyone else ever experience pain or aggravation on the top interior side of their knee cap?

Also after 9 month I stepped on my first literally microscopic shard of glass. I actually thought it was a thorn at first until I picked it out.

Raced the Reaper - only did about half the obstacles, completely...and came out 100% injury-free! Best 6+ mile run I've had in a long time! I paced myself, well - REALLY well -I had great energy the entire time! The best part were the two gigantic muddy slip-n-slides at the end!!!

yup, raced the reaper and left it feeling pretty beat up. i did all but two obstacles. they were hard and not many did them. monkey bars but with hanging ropes in place of bars and a rope climb. rope was slippery from the rain. was fun and freaked out a lot of people with my loin cloth. such a small race that everyone saw me. going to retire it because it's falling apart. need a new design.

Well approximately 2 years ago today I started barefoot running! :barefoot: Last year, on the 10th, I wrote up a post about my 1yr anniversary run (http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/my-1yr-anniversary-run-lots-of-pics.7464/ ) and today I did the same run. 13 and change rail trail out through beautiful countryside here in Ohio and along the Kokosing river. Well its nice for Ohio anyway. But last year, that was the longest run I had done up to that point, 13.5 miles, and only the third time I think I'd been over 12. This year, instead of running 13.5 and having my bike stashed at the end for a return trip, I headed out to do most of it and back running. My record was 20 miles, two weekends ago. It was hot and muggy and I was at the brink of exhaustion. Today was nice and cool (~60F) and it felt so nice! I planned on upping my previous long run by 10%, so 22 miles. I had the garmin on and figured I'd just do 11 out and back. A couple miles shy of the end of the trail, so I'll save the whole thing for a future run.

I experimented with eating grapes along the way and it really seemed to help, I never got hungry and felt pretty full of energy. Didnt seem to have any problems eating them either, but I was maintaining a pretty modest pace. The trail was probably more crowded than I had ever seen. Still not actually 'crowded' but did pass people frequently. Lots of comments about the bare feet today, something I don't often get. I also went music free for the first time on a long run in a long while. Lots of insects and birds making noise, and it was just such a nice day I felt great just enjoying it with my ears.

Finished up at 22 miles on the dot in 3:38 (includes my warmup and cooldown), taking those out my main part of the run was 19 miles and I did it in 2:59 for an average 9:26 pace. I hope to be able to knock almost a minute off that pace in my upcoming marathon but I'm not too worried if I hit that goal or not. I didnt have any big issues with this run, which is suprising being the first time at any particular mileage usually leaves me pretty sore and strained. Now I am a bit sore and strained but only minor, much much better than the 20 miler I did the weekend before last. I even picked up the pace for a couple miles about 4 miles from the end.

Previous this week... Tuesday was going to be my sprints but it was 88F and humid and I felt like a slug. I barely pulled off 4.5miles at over a 10 minute pace!

Thursday I did sprints, well not actually sprints but my 1/2 mile speed repeats. 9 miles total, with 6x 1/2 mile repeats from 6-7 minute pace.

So week total for me is 35.5 miles. Think that might be a record too! Next weekend will be a 5k race, and no long run (counting it as a rest week for mileage, and the 5k will take the place of my speed workout) and then I'll have one more long run weekend after that before I start tapering. Next weekends race will be my first attempt at breaking 20 minutes in my adult life. Hopefully my energy reserves will be back by then!

Great run report Tristan. Congrats on your 2 years and new long run distance. Looks like you are setting yourself up perfectly for a successful marathon.

Great job everyone else on your running and races. A lot of successful mileage this week!

Got a barefoot 16 miler in yesterday, but lost my wedding ring during the run. I didn't notice it was gone until mile 14, so it could of dropped anywhere. I didn't even hear it hit the ground, my wife was not happy when I told her, and I was upset as well. I then got on my bike and rode 16 miles to look for it. No luck finding it.

A total of 32 barefoot miles for week 37

Got a barefoot 16 miler in yesterday, but lost my wedding ring during the run. I didn't notice it was gone until mile 14, so it could of dropped anywhere. I didn't even hear it hit the ground, my wife was not happy when I told her, and I was upset as well. I then got on my bike and rode 16 miles to look for it. No luck finding it.

A total of 32 barefoot miles for week 37

I lost my wedding ring in the surf about 7 years ago. I went with the "I don't need a ring to know I'm married" approach, and it worked. Fortunately my wife isn't big on ceremony - in fact I don't think she has worn her wedding ring for a few years either.

I don't wear my ring a lot at home because I have a friend who lost hers in the garden while digging in the dirt! I often don't wear mine to races because of being afraid of it slipping off with all the sweat and dehydration that can go on. I certainly don't wear it in the open water.

Reactions: Barefoot Gentile
I lost my wedding ring in the surf about 7 years ago. I went with the "I don't need a ring to know I'm married" approach, and it worked. Fortunately my wife isn't big on ceremony - in fact I don't think she has worn her wedding ring for a few years either.

My mindset is like that as well but my wife is very sentimental with things. I knew should we be upset, but the dust has settled. I truly feel bad it happened though.

Catching up on last week as I was visiting family in Colorado. The big rain this week caused some flooding where I was staying about 10 miles out from the mountains just south of Boulder.

Thursday night a big water surge came thru the area raising the local creek at least 10 feet...by Friday at noon the water had went down enough to go for a run on the local gravel farm roads. Ran 6 miles total with about 1/2 mile of that thru ankle deep water...at my turn around spot the road had washed away from the same creek...took this picture later from the car.

road2.JPG

Saturday did a short hike in the mountains on the Continental Divide trail above Loveland Pass...stopped on the way back at the Tommy Knockers micro brewery in Idaho Springs.

Reactions: happysongbird
Anyone else ever experience pain or aggravation on the top interior side of their knee cap?

I've felt that a couple of times after long very hilly runs...massage the quad muscles closest to the pain and check the underside of your knee below the pain, use your fingers for this part...I found knots and massaged those points...pain faded away within a couple days or so.

Reactions: otoole4info