Mileage Reporting 36er Week of 2013

Oh, also my run was in my new Merrell Pace Gloves... They seem to be ok. Need to be broken in. It feels weird to run in shoes after running barefoot 98% of the time for the past two years. I think I'll probably reserve them for trail runs only, and try to get more of those in.

Dama, yes, i would like a nice back and hip massage thanks for asking.

did a little 3 run to the park and back with the dogs. got to the park and almost puked. i've been gagging because of the phlegm the last two days but today was worse. great. WD is tomorrow. i hope i can get it all out before the race. did some body weight exercises too.

i also got this big trigger point out of my hammie when i finished running. a little more searching and destroying and i hope to get rid of this longer leg that gives me so many little problems.

Dude netti pot, steam, and snort salt. So I did 35 minutes of weights today, FULL-range for the first time at these pounds and I was able to complete reps on everything except chin-ups, not bad! And glute medius stuff. I have not started laying an egg yet so I might get to do it and I'm pretty excited to go, whether as a participant or a cheerleader!

Reactions: happysongbird
And make sure you bring your old-man-handkerchiefs cuz there's no faster way to ward off girls than blowing snot-rockets. Oh, and I will be a good wing-man, this year -promise! ;)

Was thinking about it and I think I figured out why I have been having so much more for problems lately for soreness. Now that I moved and have no gym I am not doing my full body workouts, which includes the leg workouts. I've noticed that despite staying right around 200lbs that I am getting "fatter" again.

I know when I get fatter I lose about 3 - 4 seconds/mile per pound I gain in weight...doesn't seem like much until I gain 5 - 10 lbs...seems to matter then.

back, hips, rolling and massaging. Do you like that Mike?:)
Two things I noticed-the arch does not like it when doing squats and the tendon that runs along and up the big toe is bright red BUT it does not hurt. That's good right?

I wouldn't run on that. Time to let the hubby have some glory and you be a good cheerleader.

I did a six-month stretch where I did the graveyards and it felt like it nearly killed me.

Yep...I understand that feeling now first hand now... I actually got 6+ hours sleep the last couple work days...now i have 2 weeks vacation starting tomorrow...I should be good after that.

Friday morning, .9 walk commute, then 2.46 run-commute in the afternoon, followed by mid-body strength training.

It was 91 F but the humidity wasn't too bad, so I took a bit of a detour through my neighborhood on the way back home. About two and a half miles felt just right.

Once home in my garage, the st session started out great. I was really killing it on the bent-over rows. I think I'm ready to add another 25-lb plate. It's always fun when you graduate to another weight increment, no matter the exercise, but having a strong back is my number one goal in strength-training, so I was especially pleased. And the landmines went well afterwards. I was looking forward to a great, full workout when stuff came up and I had to cut it short. Bummer. I'll try to make up the other mid-body exercises on Sunday.

Saturday morning. Had a bit too much wine Friday night, or maybe it was just that I hadn't rehydrated properly before dinner. Anyway, woke up at 2:30, drank a bunch of water, then couldn't get back to sleep. So what to do? Run!

I got out by 3:30 am I think. Didn't put on my headlamp again. I wanted to enjoy the moonless surprises hidden along the way. About halfway through I stepped on a sharp rock right in the middle of the left mets. I licked my lips in satisfaction. Then close to home I stepped on another sharp rock right under the right mets. Another licking of the lips to try to fool my brain into thinking it felt good until the pain dissipated. Other than those two direct hits, all the other rocks and debris were quite tolerable, even the patches of squirrel shrapnel. And no direct hits on the heel fissures, although one sharp rock under my right arch had me bending my knee so low that I almost did a squat. This route also has a good variety of asphalt and sidewalk surfaces, everything from silky smooth to sandpaper rough to mild chipseal to disintegrating blacktop.

I wasn't in the best of shape for a run, so I put on an old jam to help me get in the mood. I ran really slow anyways, but felt OK. After the first jam finished, an hour later, I stopped to put on another one. After that walking pause, I really lost steam, and the rest of the run was a bit of a challenge. I kept trying to speed up to prevent joint fatigue from the slow pace, but wasn't able to sustain it. I also stopped to stretch a couple of times but the relief was brief. I ended up with a little over nine miles. A few blocks from home I knew I had met my goal of running 30mpw, so I walked the rest of the way.

Now I see in my Excel exercise log that I ran a little over 31 miles this week. So that's a milestone of sorts, and twice the weekly mileage I used to run in Chicago 10 years ago. "You're not getting older, you're getting more obsessive"-- isn't that how the old Geritol commercials used to go?

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

Sun: 5.86 mi, trackwork
Mon: 1.8 mi run-commute (morning and afternoon) [also: upper-body st]
Tu: 5.8 mi out-n-back (and 1.5 mi walk-commute)
Wed: zip [but: lower-body st]
Thu: .9 mi run-commute in the morning, 5.27 mi run-commute in the afternoon
Fri: 2.46 mi run-commute in the afternoon [and half of mid-body st] (.9 mi walk-commute in the morning)
Sat: 9.05 mi out-n-back

And since taking breaks is perfectly legit when running ultras, I can say I've run my first 50K! I've added this and my almost half-marathon of a few weeks ago to my signature . . . eat your heart out Dama!

Thursday noon a scratchy throat hit me. By Friday it had moved to my head no more throat soreness. So I had a dilemma. Saturday I was due for my long run and had been looking forward to it all week. Woke up Saturday morn and had a cup of joe and took stock. Not dizzy, check. Not fevery, check. Not coughing, check. I suited up for my run with a check all systems at one mile mindset. If I was cratering at one I would head home.
Mile one came and went without incident. I was slower then normal and at mile 4.5 feeling sluggish. Made my six as intended and was thankful that I took a chance on myself to go out there and get my six mile and not take the easy ..stay in bed road.

For my efforts I was rewarded with 4 seperate screech owls calling and one bigger owl as well. A record 10 rabbits that kept Becky interterained through the journey.

Feet good
Legs good
Head snotty

My morning run started and ended by a dead garter snake that got run over by a car.

Ran easy a total of up over 3.5 miles. Legs were feeling sluggish some, so I took a ten minute walking break in between the first part that was run and the last mile or so home.

Way to go Lee on your weekly mileage accomplishment!

No exercise yesterday, decided since my quads were a touch tender from the bike the day before to just rest since I have the Warrior Dash that I am doing today. Today just the Warrior Dash with a couple of the other Oregon Crazies. I will be doing this in my Luna Pacers. I have a cotton lace that constricts as it gets wet (like hemp laces do) so I am pre-soaking them for a little bit before I put them on. Hopefully this will prevent them from constricting too much more while during the actual run as they should hopefully be constricted already thanks to the pre-soaking. Anyhow, thinking I am going to take it easy and just make it through the race, but then part of me, the competitive side, wants to run as if my time's a big deal. Maybe I will get to do the Jingle Bell Run later this year and can see what I can do.

Oh and yesterday my wife had her dr apt and the doc says the baby is LARGE. I guess 9+ pounds. She also said that even though it's still a couple weeks early she just may come early (anytime now actually). Guess she says this baby is cooked and there are signs that she is ready to come out into the world. Hopefully she doesn't decide today is the day unless I am home from the race already.

Sounds good Mike. Hey so I have no idea where this Helvetia exit is, and that link you gave me gives me an error so I can't see whatever it is. Anyhow, I will meet you all there at the race and maybe we can all have a beer afterwards.
Good luck with your day at the races gents. And here's hoping honey doesn't drop while you're there Nick!
friday: 1 hr swim
Lovely minimalism Sced. BTW, I tried a few of your stress intervals yesterday. Not fun. I hope things have settled down a bit for you.
I know when I get fatter I lose about 3 - 4 seconds/mile per pound I gain in weight...doesn't seem like much until I gain 5 - 10 lbs...seems to matter then.
That's great Mr. Moka. The pound-to-pace ratio. By your reckoning I should be a minute/mile faster if I can ever shed my belly fat. I figure there's about twenty pounds there. Maybe I'm a prepper and don't realize it. I like the fact that if I can imagine a skinnier me, I can run as fast as Tristan.

2.89 miles on rough pavement, but since I am testing this aerobic pace thing, I was just enjoying it. Hubby went with me for his first run since the heat blisters. He wore shoes. He still runs circles around me, but this time I wasn't stressed by being slower than him because I was really relaxing into it. Dancing on the schedule tonight and I really don't think I can stay in the aerobic zone for that! I'l dance circles around him. :singing:

That's great Mr. Moka. The pound-to-pace ratio. By your reckoning I should be a minute/mile faster if I can ever shed my belly fat. I figure there's about twenty pounds there. Maybe I'm a prepper and don't realize it. I like the fact that if I can imagine a skinnier me, I can run as fast as Tristan.

The 3 or 4 seconds may be off for you a bit since my heavy weight is about 165lbs at 5'10"...my fast racing weight is 145-150lbs. I'm not sure which way the ratio shifts for bigger stronger runners...would be an interesting experiment though. I haven't read much about this other than weight is one of the biggest factors in basic running/biking speed especially on uphills.

I have a couple friends who are bigger than me who have similar speeds on a flat running course but I crush them if there are hills on the course...they are generating much more power than i can and on shorter flat races with a bit of downhill in them they out sprint me easily at the end.

Got in 13 km this morning, new distance record! :) Didn't do any running since last Monday, I wasn't sure how far I was going today, but felt better than I thought I would!
I'm up to 218 barefoot km this year, 392 km running total.
Got passed by one shod runner, passed a few runners heading in the opposite direction.
People say Good morning or hello as they pass... don't they realize I don't have that much air left to reply? Lol. Just a nod would do really...:)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7