Mileage Reporting 36er Week of 2013

Hmmm, well, foot pain started a couple hours after the race and I still have it this morning. Hope I don't have a stress fracture. I don't think it was the running that hurt the foot, but the drops from a couple of the obstacles were probably 5+ feet high and not doing any training for that sort of thing possibly set me up for problems. Hope it's nothing serious. I can still walk but it is a bit painful.
I can't imagine doing a race like that and NOT having some pains for a while after!

Reactions: NickW
Ran about a mile or so on my walk this morning. That felt good. Then all charged up with that, I with the help of a Youtube video, removed the broken pieces of the motor coupler in the washing machine and put the new one in. Now I know why the machine had been sounding rather noisy when spinning and agitating, probably because 2 of the 3 legs on the one piece had already broken off before the third finally snapped last week. Now the new coupler is in and the machine sounds nice and smooth when agitating and spinning.

10.3 miles this morning on a new trail. Wore Vibrams because it said there would be gravel but I probably could have done it bare. 5 miles up, 5 miles down... 1591 ft. elevation change. I definitely walked up some of climb. I also caught a root going downhill AGAIN and ate it AGAIN. Trail runners: does this stop? It wasn't as bad as last week but the abrupt stop and ending face-down and slamming my knees into the ground is not the most pleasant part of the run.

10.3 miles this morning on a new trail. Wore Vibrams because it said there would be gravel but I probably could have done it bare. 5 miles up, 5 miles down... 1591 ft. elevation change. I definitely walked up some of climb. I also caught a root going downhill AGAIN and ate it AGAIN. Trail runners: does this stop? It wasn't as bad as last week but the abrupt stop and ending face-down and slamming my knees into the ground is not the most pleasant part of the run.
My husband takes me out on a trails sometimes, with all kinds of terrain and plant life. I've never fallen. I'm wondering if it is because I just slow down more to make sure of my footing? (After my bike accident 5 years ago, where I broke my face, I really don't want to fall again.) But it always feels like a fun run to me, as I am hopping around, feeling light on my feet. I know I don't run trails as much as some people, though. If I did it more, I might fall more.

5teph4n13,

slow down maybe? i've tripped and fell on my knees or slid onto my ass but never hit my face.

I also caught a root going downhill AGAIN and ate it AGAIN.
I did this a couple of times when first wearing Vibrams and minshoes on the sidewalk. Apparently, tree roots had lifted the sidewalk in a few places about a half inch. After that, I made sure to lift the feet up just a bit more when wearing shoes, and no more problems. Just had to take into account for the slight thickness of the shoes.

5teph4n13,

slow down maybe? i've tripped and fell on my knees or slid onto my ass but never hit my face.

I meant face pointed at the ground, not actually on the ground. But, yes, slowing down would help. This particular root was just a little guy set up to take people out. I was trying to be careful because of last weekend but he still got me.

I guess I'm lucky, but I've never gone down. I'm a pretty slow and cautious runner though, since many of my runs are out in the middle of nowhere. I usually have a good stub or close call when I am shod and pushing the pace a little or distracted by something. Experiment with your cadence. Quicker steps when trail running.

Reactions: happysongbird
34.2 miles this week!

6.7 miles barefoot on Monday along the coastal path.
3 miles barefoot on the dreadmill on Wednesday, working on form and keeping the heart rate down. Mostly kept it around 150bpm. Needs to be lower but I'll get there. Just started in to my MAF training. :)
3 miles barefoot on Saturday at the Victoria Park Parkrun with two of the other club guys!
15.5 miles yesterday at the Titanic 25k event. Which was brilliant! Race report to come sometime soon.
(Won't let me upload a pic here from the tapatalk app?). Dang.
Anyway good weeks running. :)

I wouldn't run on that. Time to let the hubby have some glory and you be a good cheerleader.
oops! too late!
I ended up doing the race and I did better than I thought I would do.
I ended up taking first place in my age group:D
But this is the kicker I ended up taking age graded(new this year) overall female award and I walked away with a trophy and $50.00 price money.
I giggled like a high school girl for a little bit-me, a fifty eight year old little Mexican barefoot woman walking away with price money. I still giggle when I think about it:happy:.
The age grade finishing time translates to 19.34 min 5K:happy:
So I took,
13 overall female out of 175 female race participants
58 overall out of 326 race participants
Oh, and Lee, I did this whith only sporadic running and with less than fifteen miles a week-so take that!:p.

2.89 miles on rough pavement, but since I am testing this aerobic pace thing, I was just enjoying it. Hubby went with me for his first run since the heat blisters. He wore shoes. He still runs circles around me, but this time I wasn't stressed by being slower than him because I was really relaxing into it. Dancing on the schedule tonight and I really don't think I can stay in the aerobic zone for that! I'l dance circles around him. :singing:
I hope you enjoy that MAF journey Laura, I have tried it maybe three times I can't stand it, it drove me bananies EVERTIME:turtle:

Hmmm, well, foot pain started a couple hours after the race and I still have it this morning. Hope I don't have a stress fracture. I don't think it was the running that hurt the foot, but the drops from a couple of the obstacles were probably 5+ feet high and not doing any training for that sort of thing possibly set me up for problems. Hope it's nothing serious. I can still walk but it is a bit painful.
Oh oh, I hope things are better today Nick.

Well good thing you ignored me then Dama. (I'm used to it from my kids, dogs, wife). Well done, Well done! Everything is fine with the foot then?

So I'm not too sure about the age grading though. Does this mean a whole new set of PR's to keep track of? But hey, a win is a win, and a trophy and money? Nice.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Well good thing you ignored me then Dama. (I'm used to it from my kids, dogs, wife). Well done, Well done! Everything is fine with the foot then?

So I'm not too sure about the age grading though. Does this mean a whole new set of PR's to keep track of? But hey, a win is a win, and a trophy and money? Nice.
Well this year the running club I belong to decided to do the age grade thing on top of age group and overall winners maybe they wanted to increase participation? I don't know why they did it but me likey:D.
The foot feels gooder I don't know what took care of the pain I did all kinds of stuff Friday night and when I woke up next day the pain was barely noticeable but I was mindfull of it during the race I was ready to stop if the pain came back but luckily it didn't.
I'll kepp track of the age graded PR when offered.
So I'll be adding this one to my sig Lee:p

Oh, and Lee, I did this with only sporadic running and with less than fifteen miles a week-so take that!:p.
Way to go Dama!

It feels good to have met my weekly mileage goal (30mpw), and to be close to meeting my long run goal (two continuous hours of running). I wanna sustain that, but also start getting more serious about working on pace. Lately I find myself mostly running at an aerobic pace, but that's usually all I'm up for first thing in the morning. Not sure what to do. I'll probably hold tight for another few weeks while I continue to adapt to the higher mileage and more frequent running, and hope that gradual improvements begin to come again as I build my aerobic base. I have been doing sprints once a week. That and maybe one tempo run per week in the afternoon might be enough to speed up progress. Still dreaming of being able to run 8mm as my aerobic (long run) pace . . . That's the last of my running goals. Probably will take at least a year to get there. Blah, blah, blah.

but since I am testing this aerobic pace thing
Speaking of aerobic pace, how are you defining it? As per MAF training?

For me, aerobic pace is a pace I can sustain indefinitely heart-n-lungs-wise. What gives out are my legs. There's a range to it, but I always know when I go above it. I can feel my heart rate increase and I usually need some mental effort to sustain the pace. When you say you're testing aerobic running, are you saying that you generally always run tempo pace or above? Not trying to be polemical here, just curious. A while back you ran 15 miles, and I'm having a hard time imagining you do that at anything faster than an aerobic pace.