Mileage Reporting 27th Week of 2013

It looks like this heat is not really going to let up much in the forcastable future. Looks like maybe Thursday and Friday may be ok, but then after that the heat will go back up.

One thing you might want to try is get some cold packs and put them on your femoral arteries. Also, put your hands in bowls of ice water. It's not A/C and it's not stylish, but better than nada.

One thing you might want to try is get some cold packs and put them on your femoral arteries. Also, put your hands in bowls of ice water. It's not A/C and it's not stylish, but better than nada.

Femoral arteries!!! LOL! :p

Tuesday afternoon
9.07 mi / 14.6 km
83 F / 29 C

Ran down to the Mississippi River, crossed the Franklin Bridge to the Minneapolis side, ran down the West River Road to Ford Parkway Bridge, crossed back over and ran up the East River Road. By that time my soles were getting a little seared by the hot surfaces, so I cut over to a busy street a little before my planned exit from the river, in order to finish the run as quick as possible. I would've walked the last mile or so back, but that would've just prolonged my exposure to the hot surfaces. I was worried about getting blisters, but today my feet seem OK. The soles are a little sore and sensitive, but no pain. Still, I may have to bring my Moc3s for back-up next time I run on a hot afternoon.

My legs felt fine throughout the run, although my form got off towards the end when my soles became more and more sensitive and I encountered a lot of small debris. I started to feel it a bit in my right ankle and on the outside of my lower legs. I think that's the first time I've felt any niggling in the ankle. I musta been skrunching up my arch a bit or something to lessen the contact time with the hot sidewalks on the last stretch.

Kinda ironic that just yesterday Laura and Ahcuah were posting about hot surfaces.

I got in a nice stretch a little past the midway point on Ford Parkway Bridge. The guardrail on the bridge is almost shoulder-high so I can really stretch out the hammies and groin good there. I really like my mid-run stretches. I feel so rejuvenated afterwards. Overall I'm quite pleased I can run these longer distances now without having to worry about ITB or MCL issues. Today my legs feel just slightly sore, and I don't feel anything at all in the knees.

Lots of people were out on the river path walking, running, cycling, and cross-country skiing on rollers. A group of young gals in a rented four-seat cycle buggie all gawked at me. "Oh my gawd" cried one.

Monday - No run took the day off I guess.

Tuesday - Ran at a quicker pace than usual to help eleviate the tight calves. Had planned on running 6 miles but took a new route and was unsure of the distance but was getting tired toward the end of my run. Checked the distance on MapMyRun.com and ended up running 5.7 miles. Oh and the quicker pace did greatly help the calf muscles.

Today - Got up at 4:30am to try a run in the neighborhood before work but it was sprinkling so went back to bed and will run after work.

Forgot my Garmin, but since I kind of needed to relax about my run, that was okay. I went on my .93 loop around the ponds for 10.25 miles. Judging by the car clock, I was keeping a decent pace, maybe about 9 mm. Except, I was still relaxed by mile 10, so I kicked in the last mile, singing part of the time with my iPod :singing: and it felt very good! 52% humidity, 80°F at 6:30 AM! But cloud cover, thankfully.

I did have to face down a mob of geese one time :eek: , but they gave in and went back to the water. Several ducklings with the fuzz still on them looking for a napping place, which they found because I saw them napping on the next times around. :angelic:

Forgot my Garmin, but since I kind of needed to relax about my run, that was okay. I went on my .93 loop around the ponds for 10.25 miles. Judging by the car clock, I was keeping a decent pace, maybe about 9 mm. Except, I was still relaxed by mile 10, so I kicked in the last mile, singing part of the time with my iPod :singing: and it felt very good! 52% humidity, 80°F at 6:30 AM! But cloud cover, thankfully.

I did have to face down a mob of geese one time :eek: , but they gave in and went back to the water. Several ducklings with the fuzz still on them looking for a napping place, which they found because I saw them napping on the next times around. :angelic:

Nice! What's up with all the rainbow writing?:singing:

I did a moderately-paced 10K around nearby Lake Harriet. The heat and humidity have both been much much higher in the last couple of weeks, so I'm still adjusting to that. This has become a much bigger issue now for me, pretty much since I hit 50 a few years back. It just zaps my energy so much now. On the other hand, maybe my dinner was at least partly to blame. My meal, which included beer and nachos, is probably not what you would call the food of champions.

I'm really trying much harder now to start out at a very slow pace. I spend about the first mile just taking stock of how everything feels, and letting my body get used to running. In many ways I find this more useful then stretching before running. I still do a lot of stretching, and much of it before I run, but I'm just saying that if I had to do one or the other, I would skip the stretching and do a very slow warm up.

Oddly, at this time of year, when I'm hitting my stride with barefoot runs, I start realizing that I should do an occasional run with shoes. The reason is that I often run a 1/2 marathon in late October. One year, when it was unusually warm for most of the year, I went for about 8 months without wearing anything on my feet for running. Just a few days before the 1/2, the weather turned and the temp on race morning was 29 degrees F. That's a bit out of my comfort zone. I wore shoes for the race, and suffered pretty bad blisters. I don't want to repeat that, and so I try to keep my feet used to wearing shoes for that time, when, inevitably, the temp will fall.

I did squat today-nada I didn't feel like it:p.

6.35 miles in my lunas. I ran at an avg 11:21 pace despite the heat. Felt pretty good over all I just kept it nice and easy and didn't try to push anything. No ST again as the gym is still closed due to painting. I wish they would hurry up already.... I'm already wishing that winter was here again. Tired of the sunshine already. I want my clouds and rain back.

16 miles last week.

Wednesday - 3 miles warm up run on on the Adidas Running Trail in prep for Friday. (See below)

Friday - The Ards Half Marathon.
Went brilliant. Blew my previous best out of the water.
Prev best (in shoes) 2:11
Friday (barefoot) 1:56
So happy!

I had a moment of Zen after the run. I'd been trying to increase my pace on Wednesday but ended up going slower!!? Baffled.
Friday, I was pacing myself in the marathon, getting ready for "The Hill" and just trying not to go out too fast so I could make it to the end. But hey, turned out I was going faster without trying. Just concentrating on my form. Brilliant.
More pace, less effort!
Tried "running slow" again last night on a 3miler and beat my prev best by 3mins 52! It's like it's all fallen in to place! Good times.

Friday - The Ards Half Marathon.
Went brilliant. Blew my previous best out of the water.
Prev best (in shoes) 2:11
Friday (barefoot) 1:56
So happy!

I had a moment of Zen after the run. I'd been trying to increase my pace on Wednesday but ended up going slower!!? Baffled.
Friday, I was pacing myself in the marathon, getting ready for "The Hill" and just trying not to go out too fast so I could make it to the end. But hey, turned out I was going faster without trying. Just concentrating on my form. Brilliant.
More pace, less effort!
Tried "running slow" again last night on a 3miler and beat my prev best by 3mins 52! It's like it's all fallen in to place! Good times.
congratulations!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7