Mileage Reporting 27th Week of 2013

Got up early again and ran 6.5 miles this morning. Saw a couple of deer in my first mile and then saw 5 thanksgiving diners (turkeys) in the park where I ran a 1 mile loop. This has been the furthest I have ran barefoot so far. Feet were good. Leg muscles a bit sore from the new quicker pace but ok. Temps were in low 70's. Mowed the yard, watered some wild flowers started from seed this spring, and went out to the farm weeded the watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins. Also watered the wild flowers out there then shredded around the cherry tree and picked about 4 quarts of cherries. Came home cleaned up and noticed the leg muscles are slightly sore so may skip a morning run and go on a barefoot walk instead. Wife and I then went out to eat for the evening.:)

friday:
morning: short swim, but outside! 2 lap lanes at the aquatic center set aside in one of the outdoor pools. i had my own lifeguard.
midday: short easy run in my mom's burbs again, some abs, a few squats
evening: killing time in chicago, waiting for horrible traffic to clear. walked around with kids, maybe 2-3 miles, on pathways,at lake shore. i have to say lincoln park is a LOT cleaner and full of flowers than i remember.

Last Monday I ran 9.06 km barefoot, then 9.66 km today barefoot again. The week of not running helped my knee feel better, (old hockey injuries) but my feet felt the run this morning! Not sure if it was the time off, or the wet bike paths adding to the wear and tear. Thinking of going out tomorrow, but I might have to put hockey tape on both second toes, wore some skin off both of them. The distances are slowly going up though, still feel good at the end of the runs. Noticed there is a trail going off into the bush at my turn around point on the asphalt path, I might have to explore how far it goes, try some trail running!

Thursday: 20 minutes of swim drills, concentrating on not tweaking my right arm, followed by 60 minutes on spinning bike watching movie with post-op hubby, who is doing well and happy that the surgery did restore a lot of important range of motion to his right arm.
Friday: 45 minutes in my pool increasing time intervals for the first 30 minutes, then some increase in speed after that. That was after about 4 hours of weeding some huge weeds that grew behind my back.
Today: 16 miles on the road bike in 64 minutes, then 4.1 miles running at about 9 mm pace. Couldn't have done it without my 19 year old daughter's encouragement as I am feeling in a bit of a slump today. Will probably kick around in the pool some later for fun. Now for food.

Did not get up with the chickens this morning and slept in till 6:30am (that is sleeping in for me) instead. Walked with my wife 3.5 miles in our neighborhood. I was barefoot she had on shoes. Scanned the asphalt for glass as I plan on trying to do at least some of my daily runs on this surface instead of going to the trails. My feet were slightly sore after the walk. Guess my mileage in the neighborhood will probably be greatly reduced until my feet build up to the next level. Noticed my feet are stained black from the dark asphalt. May ride my mountain bike some this evening but temps are to reach mid 90's today so we will see.

Extended break from weightlifting cuz I over-did it last time. Tsk tsk tsk. Whacked out my upper body which whacked out my hips which has now whacked out my running. Hubby was nice enough to massage my angry muscles for an hour today -will need to do it again tonight. Signed up to run 3, flat pavement miles in a relay tomorrow.

12.9km (about 8mi) trail running in centenial park, I found an awesome track, outside the loop everyone takes, much more interesting, lots of different surface, gravel, tree roots, even sand !!, feet are very sore, but I thoroughly enjoyed that run !! First time someone talks to me about being b/f..'Aren't you cold ?' she said..It was 7C this morning

afternoon: swim, in the pool just shy of 2 hours, first 45 min+ working with kids, doing laps here and there to stay warm. They made good progress today. My 8 yr old is getting better at breathing on both sides; my 10 yr old is working on doing her flip turns not a million miles too far from the wall. Me? Uh, I made progress in not drowning and being able to tell others to succeed where I may not be able to.

evening: hike to beach, walk around on beach, decide water is too cold today after about 10 strokes. sit on beach. hike back fast cuz the squiters might git me. Told kids they "lost 5 points" if they got behind me, gain 5 points if they could stay ahead. It took them until the way back to even think to ask: what will these points get us?

Ran Irving summer 1/2 marathon yesterday at 7:00 am, 72 deg., 69%rh, seemed hotter in the sun. probably 1/2 shaded 1/2 no shade. Mile 10 cut out into a fresh mowed field with no trail for about 1.25 miles. I have not been running off road lately. The cut grass stubble was a little tricky. saw ducks, turtles and a few geese. Great run, the heat and sun seem to take a little out of me.
This was the end of week 11 of training for me 27 miles total.
Feet Good. Legs Good. (I love ice after a summer run)
Does anyone know how the Garmins figure the temperature? i.e. from the start, or average, or from the end.

Was a little worried I might have overdone it yesterday, but seem to have got away with it. I went for a run at the local stately home garden where I have a season ticket and did some alternate bf running and walking - I was pleased to find I could run fine on the paths this time as well as the grass so I think the skipping (jumping rope) must have improved my form. I was quite careful not to overdo it, just a little less than a mile including walking, then went to pick up DH & DD who had gone for a walk to the beach. We decided to walk some more after a drink at the pub and I ended up walking a much longer way than I expected in my homemade huaraches. I thought I was getting a blister but it was only a hotspot.

Woke up just after 4:30am this morning and decided to go ahead and get up for an early run. When I began running it was still quite dark and was a bit concerned about stepping an a rock as it was too dark too see much on the trail. Saw a mother raccoon with 3 little ones. They didn't hear me coming and were a bit startled once I was about 20 feet from them. Had an excellent 6 mile total run! Ran 1.5 miles on the concrete trail but then ran 5 laps around the park (for some sole conditioning) loop which is 1 mile of asphalt each loop. I ran the entire way without a shirt. The breeze felt nice and cool on my chest. (I highly recommend this for the ladies.) ;) The park asphalt consists of about 3/4 mile of old rough asphalt and another 1/4 mile of newer somewhat smoother asphalt. The varying textures felt on the park loop was awesome! I ran concentrating on spreading my toes as far as possible. I seemed to experience a heightened sense of feeling in my soles (especially the palms of both feet) while running with the toes spread! It was great! A couple of times during my run I glanced down watching my tan toes smoosh the fallen mulberries that lay on the surface of the road. A person wearing shoes could never experience such feelings and will never know what they are missing. After the run I walked 1.5 miles back to the car still spreading the toes as far as possible. Needless to say my soles were highly stained after running that distance on the asphalt with the mulberries. Have to say it had to be the dirtiest my feet have ever gotten from any runs previous. Good thing feet are washable huh? :) The mulberry stains do tend to leave the soles stained for a couple of days. :happy: Not even the scotchbrite pad can remove all of it. My feet held up better than expected and I didn't even step on any of those nasty rocks a person usually finds lurking on the asphalt that sends you stepping a bit lightly after landing on one of them. Anxious for tomorrows run!

Ran Irving summer 1/2 marathon yesterday at 7:00 am, 72 deg., 69%rh, seemed hotter in the sun. probably 1/2 shaded 1/2 no shade. Mile 10 cut out into a fresh mowed field with no trail for about 1.25 miles. I have not been running off road lately. The cut grass stubble was a little tricky. saw ducks, turtles and a few geese. Great run, the heat and sun seem to take a little out of me.
This was the end of week 11 of training for me 27 miles total.
Feet Good. Legs Good. (I love ice after a summer run)
Does anyone know how the Garmins figure the temperature? i.e. from the start, or average, or from the end.
You are so casual about the 1/2 marathon!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Ronnie B. thanks for the concern. i keep an eye out on the dogs when i run. i had a water bottle just for him and forgot to carry it so i kept close watch. there are streams on the trail where he took a few sips. since he didn't drink much i cut the run short. he was still trotting at the end so i thought he was good. sad thing is he doesn't trust me around water now as i douse him to cool him off. :cool:

ran a little relay put on by Dr Ray Mclanahan and a PT Sanatan. they did it to encourage people they teach to run bf and minimalist. a few of us did it bf and the entire 9.4 miles. my distance turned out to be 10m. i had to take a bathroom break right at the start. it seems 2 movements just wasn't enough and i just finished the 4 prior to writing this.

i did in it just over 2 hours. it started on a hill, went through town, and ended with about 2m uphill. we went own the water front where a blues festival was going on. had to run through the crowds that were lined up to get in. i got lots of stares. i even got an angry comment on my run that you'll have to see in that other thread.:p

ended with 34 miles for the week. 1 was in shoes. feet were tired.