another late start
and a stiff lower back from yesterday's st
I feel like I haven't had a decent run in ages,
but it's only been two weeks.
A woman said to me,
"very brave" -- standard reaction,
but then added,
"with all the crap on the sidewalk."
Good of her to notice the extra challenge to a barefooter all the spring debris brings.
Sweepers,
the snow has finally fallen for good now,
time to emerge from your burrows and set to it!
I ran a loop on busy suburban streets near my son's daycare.
Lots of asphalt sprinklings from the winter's plows on the sidewalks and paths.

@Laura: great job! Looks like you're in good shape for May's half Mary.

Lee, that was damn funny! there are some threads on running downhill. i love it and don't heel strike. if falling or sliding your heel coming down will usually, or hopefully, stop that from happening. remember to bend the knees.

always struggle with hills but am noticing a small improvement. i have slowed down from last year. over training, too much stress, and caffeine really messed me up. plus not running.

back to running now about 4-5 x week. do i post everyday? once a week?

had decent long run on the trails yesterday. i say they feel much better than my everyday hour runs.

Went out for a 5 miler my favorite part of Wildwood trail today. And here are some lovely photos from today's run! Check out that creepy looking tree trunk in the last photo. Something is seriously wrong with that trunk! Lol! I've been focusing on doing a minimum of 5 miles 3x a week. So far, so good. The last two runs I did were 6.5. It's been strangely good weather here lately, so that helps.

Attachments

• 20130425_121936.jpg
    20130425_121936.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 6
  • 20130425_132903.jpg
    20130425_132903.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20130425_130840.jpg
    20130425_130840.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20130425_130750.jpg
    20130425_130750.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6
  • 20130425_122946.jpg
    20130425_122946.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
[quote="jldeleon, post: 127183, member: ]It's been strangely good weather here lately, so that helps.[/quote]
Ya, I think we are in for a hot hot summer Jen... Not happy about this weather this early this hot... Nice runs by the way. Sounds like your running is improving!

Reactions: jldeleon
[quote="jldeleon, post: 127183, member: ]It's been strangely good weather here lately, so that helps.
Ya, I think we are in for a hot hot summer Jen... Not happy about this weather this early this hot... Nice runs by the way. Sounds like your running is improving![/quote]

I think about you whenever I start dying of heatstroke on my runs cuz I think you are the only person that truly understsnds my pain and suffering! Lol! Ya, I decided I was not giving it my all with my running. Plus I'm not following behind Mr. Maff as much ;) so how can I not improve? BWAHAHAHAAA!

45 min at gym: 30 min elliptical, 15 min sit ups and a few leg weight machines. a few stretches cuz i'm tired and my arms/back/upper body is still feeling all the swimming (in a good way), and i have a swim lesson at 11 for which i will be sorely unprepared, as I have practiced zero "fancy" swim moves since my last lesson a few weeks ago.

So how do you like that type of training are you already running ultras?

Haven't done any ultra's but want to some time...I'm not much of a racer really even though i do well at races. The type of running I do really works best for trail running which is what I prefer but I get in road shape first every Spring..this is my ninth Spring getting into barefoot shape...gets a little easier each year. I have vacation in September/October and want to do a marathon or ultra then...it will take all summer to get into shape. I have a rule nowadays that I have to be in shape for race distance before I sign up.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Lee, that was damn funny! there are some threads on running downhill. i love it and don't heel strike. if falling or sliding your heel coming down will usually, or hopefully, stop that from happening. remember to bend the knees.

always struggle with hills but am noticing a small improvement. i have slowed down from last year. over training, too much stress, and caffeine really messed me up. plus not running.

back to running now about 4-5 x week. do i post everyday? once a week?

had decent long run on the trails yesterday. i say they feel much better than my everyday hour runs.
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep experimenting with the input you and others have given me, although right now I'm leaning towards faster ascents and walking descents on the specifically 'hills' workouts. Still, as part of my goal to become a well-rounded runner, it would be good to get better at running descents. I'll look up the threads you mentioned later . . .

The secret with ascents is of course smaller strides/higher cadence. A German guy I hiked with in the Andes taught me this, especially helpful at higher altitudes, but the same principle applies anywhere, of keeping one's heart rate steady by maintaining the same effort level. In the Himalaya I went up to 20,000 feet with a top-200 tennis pro and a guy who had just completed the Appalachian Trail. The tennis pro puked and the AT guy got a migrane. I felt fine and could enjoy the deep-blue sky, because I took baby steps and drank a camel-load of water. I told them to do the same, but they wouldn't listen.

I like this mileage forum quite a bit. I tune in every day but others once a week or less. It helps keep me motivated when I don't feel like working out, and I enjoy hearing of others' experiences and progress. I would be great if you started contributing more regularly. I promise not to mention anything having to do with heart rate monitors. I also like my long, easy-paced aerobic runs, but I prefer to go by feel. Just a personal preference. I think everyone has to find what works best for them, because, as I've said in other places, enjoyment is key. If you enjoy what you're doing, be that wind sprints or ultras, you'll keep doing it, which makes improvement inevitable. Only pros need to worry about the most efficient methods.

I agree with you about the long runs. Those are my favorites. The hour-long weekday runs feel more like workouts, although lately I've been thinking of expanding one of them to be a lesser LSD run of about 75-90 minutes, sort of a long recovery run, and just do one run a week as a proper hills/intervals/tempo workout (I run 3 x per week--two weekday, one weekend).

@Jen, beautiful landscapes Jen. I'm envious.

I have a rule nowadays that I have to be in shape for race distance before I sign up.
Although I've never raced, and am currently prohibited from doing so by my wife, that's the way I've always thought it should be. First get comfortable at a given distance, and then seek out races for it. I signed up for a half last year, long before I could run a half distance comfortably, and it messed with my head, made me do things I proly shouldn't have been doing. I feel much better now taking each run one at a time.

Reactions: NickW
15.02 miles today, trails.
Not much to report just taking it steady, took my camelbak with 2.5 L of water to get used to the extra weight I'll need carry in the summer. Only stopped once to poop, couldn't find any squirrels though as Jason suggested in the title of his new book, so I had to make do with a badger ;)

Nice run, one word of caution though, you have to be extremely careful when pooping on front of a badger those creatures are very agressive and who knows what might happen...just sayin';)

Reactions: NickW
Haven't done any ultra's but want to some time...I'm not much of a racer really even though i do well at races. The type of running I do really works best for trail running which is what I prefer but I get in road shape first every Spring..this is my ninth Spring getting into barefoot shape...gets a little easier each year. I have vacation in September/October and want to do a marathon or ultra then...it will take all summer to get into shape. I have a rule nowadays that I have to be in shape for race distance before I sign up.

I am always in BF shape and I have to because I never plan races I always end up signing up for races spontaneously so I have to be ready because I never know when the urge for entering a race is goin to hit me:D
Have you done a marathon before? or this will be your first provided that you sign up for one.
Oh and I don't like rules-hate them with a passion.:rolleyes: But if you don't mind them go ahead;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Warning for Lee's video, language that you may not want your children to hear. It was funny the little bit I listened but my toddler boy who is mimicking everything lately was right there... I was super lucky he didn't mimic any of this...

Reactions: Bare Lee
I am always in BF shape and I have to because I never plan races I always end up signing up for races spontaneously so I have to be ready because I never know when the urge for entering a race is goin to hit me:D
Have you done a marathon before? or this will be your first provided that you sign up for one.
Oh and I don't like rules-hate them with a passion.:rolleyes: But if you don't mind them go ahead;)

I've ran a trail marathon once in moccasins in the cold...there aren't any marathons where I live that are warm enough for barefoot to me except one and its new and has sold out too fast for me sign up. My work is too erratic to plan much of any races unless I'm on vacation. I stay in half marathon shape anyways so the rule is really for marathon and above. I usually do a few 5 - 6 hour trail runs in late summer/fall just for fun.

Although I've never raced, and am currently prohibited from doing so by my wife, that's the way I've always thought it should be. First get comfortable at a given distance, and then seek out races for it. I signed up for a half last year, long before I could run a half distance comfortably, and it messed with my head, made me do things I proly shouldn't have been doing. I feel much better now taking each run one at a time.

This is a good way to go for me too...I don't need a race for motivation and like not having a time table on building up the miles. No plan is my plan.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7