Mileage Reporting 17th Week 2013

Accidental 2.01 miles, with 1.78 miles barefoot. I had planned on only doing the 1.78 miles but while at the park with my son I realized I had miscalculated the time and I needed to hurry up and get home to feed my son before grandpa picked him up... Oops. Had a much better run today despite it being hotter out than the other day. Must have been those 3 beers I had last night! :)

Okay, mixed results on today's run, but it all brings me to some interesting personal statistics.

Longest barefoot fun today: 14 miles. Woohoo! The first 9 miles went very well, with me keeping a comfortable 8:45 - 9 mm pace. Then, my right calf started to cramp up and I had to slow down quite a bit. I decided to push through, try to adjust my form, etc., as part of a race day prep, should something like this happen. The cramp was finally gone by the end of the run, but I wasn't feeling like sprinting either.:meh:

However, in view of the fact that this WEEK I have set some personal week-total records for this point in my life (and possibly more than I did in a week in college when I went on my everyday weekday morning 5 mile run) and totally barefoot records AND did an extra hard speed work out at track practice, I'm not too disappointed. :D

I may run again on Saturday, since I got "out of sync" missing last Saturday's run, but if I do, it will definitely be entering new territory.

Yay! Congratulations!!!

Reactions: happysongbird
David and I are going on a REAL vacationa and we are going to Zion National Park and Yosemite National Park! And what will I be doing the whole time I am there??? RUNNING - hopefully mostly barefoot! And, yes Nick, I am aware it might be hot there. I plan to be done with my runs by 10 a.m. every day. I am not a morning person, but I WILL BE a morning person for this occasions. I hate heat more than I hate lack of sleep. Who needs sleep anyway? Oh, that's right -me- the one who had to DNF last summer on a trail race because I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before! Lol! The last several posts reminded me of a deep thought I had yesterday on my run. It was, "Why do I enter races?" It is actually so that people can see me running barefoot and maybe come to the dark side. Then I thought, "I'm paying money to get people to come to the dark side." Hmmmmmm. This year I am only planning on running some trail races on Wildwood, mud runs, and obstacle courses. The only pavement run I enjoy is Run Like Hell and that's just for the costumes. I had big plans to run a half June 1st, well, not really - I was just contemplating it. However, I've had a couple of people, some of whom are injured (from TMTS), warn me about that big of a leap. And then I thought to myself, again, "Why do I need to enter a "race" to run 13 miles anyway?" I can just run it one day, whenever the time is right.

Jen, have a great time and enjoy yourself as much as you can.
I like entering races because I have tons of fun doing them races. I also like the medals-a lot and the t-shirts and all the othe stuff you get with it but mostly for the fun...and the medals:)

Yosemite is awesome! Hope you enjoy it there Jen. I went a couple years ago and only got to barefoot a little, but I did a lot of huaraches there. Neat place with some great trails, just watch out for the bear. There are a ton of bears there. You'll see signs everywhere warning you to keep an eye out so you don't run them over...

Accidental 2.01 miles, with 1.78 miles barefoot. I had planned on only doing the 1.78 miles but while at the park with my son I realized I had miscalculated the time and I needed to hurry up and get home to feed my son before grandpa picked him up... Oops. Had a much better run today despite it being hotter out than the other day. Must have been those 3 beers I had last night! :)

Accidental run..my arts.:singing:

Reactions: happysongbird
Yosemite is awesome! Hope you enjoy it there Jen. I went a couple years ago and only got to barefoot a little, but I did a lot of huaraches there. Neat place with some great trails, just watch out for the bear. There are a ton of bears there. You'll see signs everywhere warning you to keep an eye out so you don't run them over...

So how many pairs of huaraches did you manage to make;)
Yea about the bears Jen be nice to them.

Reactions: jldeleon and NickW
wienerdog, how do your butt cheeks hit your thighs? do they swing around the front? are you giving yourself applause when you run? can we see some pics?

Lee, i don't mind being picked on. i make fun of myself. he who can laugh at himself will always be entertained. if you can't laugh at yourself just call me. i'll do it for you.

hills are my big challenges. i do pistols almost everyday and feel a bit stronger from it. i can tell you i immediately noticed how weak my left ankle is. when my next anaerobic phase swings around i may have to go lift weights and try to add some big strength gains so i can conquer those hills.

oh, running fast downhill is awesome. it's the only time i can go fast. i was even able to maintain a 8m/m pace in my maf zone. can't do it right now but i did and will again.

Ran a 5.5 mile (well ran 5 and walked about 0.5) around LSU lakes today. Mixture of cement, grass, dirt, and the typical Louisiana asphaltic surface (think lava rocks). Would have probably been able to run the whole thing if not for the asphalt sections. That is definitely my longest barefoot run, and will probably be my longest for a while, but very enjoyable.

4.5 to 5* mi trail run (took about an hour, so I'm guessing)

*But I had to cheat and wear shoes - the trail was too damn treacherous. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone, it'll be our little secret. Yes, I know I'm a heathen.

David and I are going on a REAL vacationa and we are going to Zion National Park and Yosemite National Park! And what will I be doing the whole time I am there??? RUNNING - hopefully mostly barefoot! And, yes Nick, I am aware it might be hot there. I plan to be done with my runs by 10 a.m. every day. I am not a morning person, but I WILL BE a morning person for this occasions. I hate heat more than I hate lack of sleep. Who needs sleep anyway? Oh, that's right -me- the one who had to DNF last summer on a trail race because I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before! Lol! The last several posts reminded me of a deep thought I had yesterday on my run. It was, "Why do I enter races?" It is actually so that people can see me running barefoot and maybe come to the dark side. Then I thought, "I'm paying money to get people to come to the dark side." Hmmmmmm. This year I am only planning on running some trail races on Wildwood, mud runs, and obstacle courses. The only pavement run I enjoy is Run Like Hell and that's just for the costumes. I had big plans to run a half June 1st, well, not really - I was just contemplating it. However, I've had a couple of people, some of whom are injured (from TMTS), warn me about that big of a leap. And then I thought to myself, again, "Why do I need to enter a "race" to run 13 miles anyway?" I can just run it one day, whenever the time is right.

Zion and YNP? How many days are you allowing for that?

Ya know what? Screw that! Don't come here - we don't like your kind! We already have enough weirdos in California and there's no room for you! :p

Reactions: jldeleon
Zion and YNP? How many days are you allowing for that?

Ya know what? Screw that! Don't come here - we don't like your kind! We already have enough weirdos in California and there's no room for you! :p

TWO weeks!

Ya, bears, that's why I won't be bringing any twinkies with me. ;)

or a picnic basket.

wiener dog. so your hammies. not as exciting an image as your cheeks swinging around to the front. or should i say scary?

Missed my strength-training session because I had to help my brother move a fridge, up stairs. So indirect strength-training, and I could tell my increase in lower body st really helped me pull the dolly up. A lot like deadlifts. This is one of the downsides of being in relatively good shape for my age. People call me when they're too cheap to pay for delivery charges. In a few more weeks I'm supposed to help a friend move his sofa.

Anyway, today I have to decide between making up my missed st session, and doing my scheduled long run tomorrow, or vice versa. Decisions, decisions.

It's supposed to be up in the 70s today, so the run should win out. On the other hand, it's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. Decisions, decisions.

In any case, time for a family boat ride on the Mississippi.

Lee, i don't mind being picked on. i make fun of myself. he who can laugh at himself will always be entertained. if you can't laugh at yourself just call me. i'll do it for you.
Agreed. That's part of the reason I married my wife -- we're constantly giving each other sh!t, for laughs.

And I secretly admire your dedication to the Church of Maff. I have enough trouble sticking to my weekly plans, I can't imagine having seasonal ones.

It's also cute to see shirtless men with little straps around their nips.

The last several posts reminded me of a deep thought I had yesterday on my run. It was, "Why do I enter races?" It is actually so that people can see me running barefoot and maybe come to the dark side.
I think you're just one of those people who needs a public.

Reactions: Larry