How did you hear about the BRS, and why did you join? Please share...

Jazz hands!

Jazz hands!

I found the BRS in Jason

I found the BRS in Jason Robillards book. Actually I checked out every resource in the appendix. I had plenty of time, weeks and weeks without running, because I had done way too much too soon. As reading and researching about bf-running was at least somehow related to actual running I, used it as a substitute for the real drug...

In the beginning I also wished to be not alone doing this. It took some time to feel not awkward anymore for always being the only bf-runner on the streets and in the woods. At least knowing that there are others helped me a lot with this. And I find it especially cool to be part of a community that has members in so many different countries.

I also hoped to be able to meet some bf-runners in reality at some point and this has happened three times until now. Every time it was great and I enjoyed it very much to run together. In one week will be the fourth time, I invited everybody in Germany to a meet-up and a couple of people are going to come! I´m very excited about this already.

Would I run barefoot without the internet? No. I probably would have never heard about this and never tried it. Thanks, internet!

Would I have met other bf-runners without the BRS? Not until now, most definitely, maybe at some point in the future. Thanks, TJ and all the others who offer this wonderful virtual place and help to make things happen even in remote places on the earth like Germany.

You're welcome, all!  Glad

You're welcome, all! Glad you're enjoying it so much and that it's so helpful to you all.

Board offered invitations

Board offered invitations over at the RW forum and I accepted.

Blame him!
wink_smile.gif

I don't recall when I joined

I don't recall when I joined - it was a while ago - probably when it was launched. My account sat extremely idle, however, for a very long time.

I came "back" when it was announced in the Runner's World Barefoot forum about the addition of a doc or two to the Ask The Docs forum here. That is very VERY cool. So I hopped over here, asked and got good feedback, and now I'm lurking around here a bit more.

BTW, you should know that every now-and-again the topic of "Where did so-and-so go?" comes up in the RW forum when someone of note (Zumba is an example.) isn't seen for a while. More often than not the reply is "They're hanging out over at BRS."

Jim

Lovin' it!

Lovin' it!

Angie Bee's post from the old

Angie Bee's post from the old site: I joined because it was the next inevitable step after being a part of the runners world BF crew. I became the Iowa chapter president because, well it just needed to be done! I love you guys! Seriously barefoot runners are good people!

Thanks, Jim, for recreating your post. It was lost to the old site/host server.

From Paint Boy's post: I found it searching for barefoot running on google. I love the idea of local chapters. I have gone on several runs with 3 others from the tennessee chapter.That would not have happened without this forum. Thanks a lot TJ.

I still go over there because

I still go over there because there are so many new folks that have'nt heard of the BRS, I like at least introducing them to it when appropriate.

But Joe (admin), how did you

But Joe (admin), how did you hear about the BRS? Hee.

I found this site through

I found this site through google

I didn't actually know that i was running minimalist style, i'd just brought a pair of trail gloves from the local running store because they looked comfortable and headed for the hills, having never run before in my life I now manage an eight mile loop most days.

My reason for joining is to meet like minded people, learn a few things, share a few of my experiences.

I know i'm not a barefoot runner like most of you guys, but i totally understand the spirit of it, and feel i belong here.

You do belong, Ske.  We all

You do belong, Ske. We all do. ;-) Thanks for being here! Love the avatar too, BTW.

I'm not sure how I found the

I'm not sure how I found the site. Probably through a google search. Like another poster, I think I joined while in the beta stage (when it was part of Barefoot Running University?) and then migrated over here. Not sure how I did that as it seems like most people had been invited to join. Anyway, I don't post much, but read a lot. Great resource here!

Never part of the Barefoot

Never part of the Barefoot Running University. That's a separate entity founded by Jason Robillard who is a co-founder here. All good stuff.

I googled a weird barefoot

I googled a weird barefoot question, found a post on this site. Then I tracked down one of the posters (CBethRun) and asked her for an invite.

I like the variety of experiences and most of all the open mindedness of people. I don't like to read people (virtually) yelling at each other about who is right. If I'm interested in yelling I can just listen to my kids. On this forum people remain courteous and positive even when their opinion differ. And if they are not they are quickly reminded to keep a positive attitude.

I've been a pretty 'true' barefoot runner since I started running last year. I've been wearing minimal shoes only on rare occasions only since the Spring, but I've always appreciated that the site was from the begining open to minshod.

Now that the membership expanded so much I don't have time to read every post like I once did and I don't know everybody but i still feel like I'm sharing ideas and experiences with real people, not anonymous posters.

I tend to spend more time on DailyMile and less here but I always keep an eye on the Active Forum topics to see what's going on.

Thanks to the BRS I met some other BF runners in person, I got a ride and registered for my first trail race/first half-marathon last May. And now I hope to meet more NJ/PA runners at the Pose workshop organised by our Cahpter president.

--Stephanie

PS: Other positive points: Nobody ever made fun of my english here. And most people use real words and semi correct spelling/syntax/grammar, not this text message style abbreviations that are so difficult for me to understand.

Your english is spot-on,

Your english is spot-on, sloutre. I didn't notice any problems.

Joseph, How many languages

Joseph,

How many languages do you know and where did you learn them? Do the trees talk to you or is it the fishes?

I've seen you writing a few works to people in probably 5 different languages.

Me too.  What gives?

Me too. What gives?

English, Spanish, Hungarian,

English, Spanish, Hungarian, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Farsi, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Pashtun...

I can say at least "hello" and "thanks" and maybe a few other important things like "where's the bathroom?" in most of them. The first 3 I can get by in conversationally.

I took care of trees in the embassy neighborhoods of Washington, DC for a long time. If I didn't hear 8 or 10 languages before lunch I was dogging it. It's actually just kind of a party trick to get the right language with the person I'm talking to.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7