How did you hear about the BRS, and why did you join? Please share...

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
How did you hear about the BRS?

Why did you join the BRS? What did you want to get out of it?

Please share...

Heard about it from the Ken

Heard about it from the Ken Bob book (Step by Step)

Joined because it looked interesting.

Continue visiting and posting because I still find it interesting, informative, and helpful to get feedback from more experienced barefoot runners.

I don't remember how I got

I don't remember how I got here, but I think I saw it mentioned over at barefoot running university and came over.

I stuck around because I didn't know anyone else doing it, and wanted to hear how others had dealt with various challenges, issues, etc.

I'm still here because I still rind the BRS a valuable source of info, a great sounding board, and a place filled with great people who share my passion for self-torture (i.e. Chip seal roads). ;)

Interwebs etiquette rules

Interwebs etiquette rules against sharing PM's with others, but under the circumstances....

---- barefoot.zumba.runner wrote on Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 8:40 AM ----

To: Longboard

Subject: thought for sure you were there already

do you still need an ivite, I've got a few left :) We need a PWI thread, I started up a Pub...come on over, beer's cold and food's hot

Back in the day you did'nt just decide to join the BRS, you had to get invited. I remember joining, hanging out, and then the big day came when we went PUBLIC!

I miss ZUM! Is she still around?

I kept seeing references to

I kept seeing references to the BRS, first on Ken Bob's Running BareFoot, then in indirect searches. I couldn

t figure out how to get in contact with anyone to get invited in, but was not too frustrated and the gates opened for me and a lot of others just after Labor Day last year.

I was looking for like minded soles, of course. I had never met anyone actually doing this BFR thing, and had invested myself deeply, having begun in May and run through the summer. I've been very happy here. Sniff...You're all my running buddies!

Sniff. Sniff. Sniff is

Sniff. Sniff. Sniff is right. Some of my best friends are people I have never met.

Zum's got a lot going on in her life right now. I know she has some studies coming up, then she started her own Zumba gym. Her's a busy lady. I miss her too. And her energy. I hope she's well.

Yes, the invites were just because we were in beta, and we wanted to make sure that we had the "major" kinks out before we opened the flood gates. We opened with 680 beta members on September 6, 2010. (We were founded on November 1, 2009 though.) We now have over 3,300 registered members.

Board, didn't I know you from "that other place?" You could have asked me for an invite. I wonder why I didn't send you one? Where's the kicking one's own butt smiley?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Board,

Barefoot TJ said:
Board, didn't I know you from "that other place?" You could have asked me for an invite. I wonder why I didn't send you one? Where's the kicking one's own butt smiley?

That's o.k., I just hung out there with those who were left behind after everyone deserted us and left us all alone, I was fine with it,

even if Zumba had'nt invited me I would have been o.k., don't worry 'bout me, I was quite content at that "other" joint all the while knowing you guys were partying on over here, Oy, believe me , it was'nt a problem at all.......

Honestly can't recall how I

Honestly can't recall how I joined the party, I believe I did get a invite, but from who I am not sure. Also not sure how that particular blessed soul found me, stewing up here in Canada. But none the less, I am glad they found me, because I now know I am not alone on the weird looks front. ;-)

I got a personal invite from

I got a personal invite from you TJ! This was before the board went public, and a few of us were using it during the "test phase".

I started with RW barefoot forum, but really trying to migrate over here more. There is defnitely more talk about barefoot running here. This place seems a bit more chilled out as well.

I got my invite from Zum as

I got my invite from Zum as well. I don't miss her because I see her all the time. The Zumba gym is going really well, and she's out of her mind busy right now. I love going to her Zumba classes. After you attend, you realize why she is the way she is.

Anyway, BRS has been great to me. I've met so many cool people. I've learned a lot from everybody. And being the MN Chapter prez has given me a lot of cool opportunities to be an attention whore. Gotta love that.

I found this site via Google

I found this site via Google and the forums just felt like home. I also found it to be more active than any others and after the feed back I got just from "dipping my toe in", I was sold! Can't find this kind of a genuine, helpful, passionate, experienced and fun collective anywhere else that I've looked! I'm only this far this fast because of TJ, Saypay, Migangelo, BF Gent, stomper and the rest! I drank the koolaid, so...I'm locked in for life!

-Jonny

I read about the BRS as it

I read about the BRS as it was forming, on that nameless forum that TJ keeps citing. I registered as a member on that forum but, its parent company made it too difficult to login/post so, I was only able to lurk there.

I'd heard about the BRS forum from a post on BFT's google group.

I joined this forum because Google stopped allowing me to post on google groups (or maybe BFT did it - I really don't know). Also forums are typically a lot more versatile than google groups.

I do miss my friends from the BFT google group: BFTed, Patrick, Piper, Onion Fire (yes, that's how I address him), Tsedee, Sonja, Spacey, JoshW, ParakeetOfProtection and some of the less prolific posters there. And HHH. I don't know if many of them do any actual 100-percent-BF running so, don't know the likelihood that I'll see them here.

Ssssh, Gent.  Don't tell

Ssssh, Gent. Don't tell Board. ;-)

Thanks, you guys.  Keep the

Thanks, you guys. Keep the stories coming.

Nyah, i started on that

Nyah,

i started on that site as well. i still go there but they are more technically oriented and shoe driven. they get into some very rude and rowdy discussions and it can be quite entertaining. they especially love to pic on a podiatrist who likes to frequent the column and contradict everyone. sometimes he even congratulates someone and they still jump on him.

i think i found this place through a google search. there wasn't enough bf talk on the site i mentioned so i joined here while it was in beta test. i didn't get invited, i crashed. i was shocked to see it going public and had no idea how i got in while in testing stage.

i like it here and hearing that i have helped others makes it even better. thanks for the mention Jonny. i've made some good friends here and promote this place when i can. like yesterday when i was walking to cool off after my run i saw another bf'r on our trail. i thought maybe it was joshh but this guy had a shirt on and i could see his hair wasn't so curly as he got closer. we started talking and he had just joined the site last week.

that said i will be running the warrior dash tomorrow with a big bf painted on my back along with address for here. hopefully we'll pick up some newbies. or at least i pick up something other than a beer! /sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/wink.png

Mike

Maybe it was too long ago or

Maybe it was too long ago or maybe I am just getting old, but I have no idea how I found this website. I just remember when I did find it, it was such a relief to be amongst runners who shared the same experiences I did (The funny looks, the catty comments, TOFP, etc.)

In fact, it may have been my foot pain that led me to search out other runners like me. Anyhoo, I come back because everyone here rocks and is super nice and helpful (which for a website is extremely rare. It starts at the top, so Thanks TJ). And all the helpful info on products and I love reading race reports. You guys do such a good job of making em feel like I ran the race with you.

Overall, its just good to be a part of a running group that doesnt think I am crazy.

Gosh, I'm blushing you guys! 

Gosh, I'm blushing you guys! Thanks for the nice comments. :shy:

Mike (Mig) please take a picture of your painting, and you write a race report, I'll put it on the home page. Sounds like another good mud run.

i can only get pics if joshh

i can only get pics if joshh brings his camera as i don't have one. i doubt he will. maybe i can borrow one from my little girl? hmm.

I got the invite from you I

I got the invite from you I believe during the Beta trials when you, Jason, etc. were doing all the trials and setting up the site (great job BTW)

I go on "sabbaticals" sometimes but I'll always come back!

I don't know what I want from the site except for dropping in to see old friends, it all started with jazz hands right TJ?

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7