When to give up on a spouse

I think that the attraction and enjoyment in barefoot running/living is more easily grasped and applied by certain personality types. What do you think? We all can't be the same, but maybe strongly share some of the same attitudes.

Maybe your husband feels the external pressures from our society that just cannot bear to see someone barefoot in public. I would prefer be barefoot all the time, but still put on my huaraches before going into the grocery etc. I am far from a confrontational type person. The negative looks and attitudes about me being barefoot that I feel and see at races still bothers me a lot.

My wife has read and experienced all the benefits of being barefoot. She enjoys it. But if she did not, I would be completely satisfied living with a stupid spouse who felt the need to rely on shoes.

From my male perspective, my advice to you is as others have said, "sorry about that injury, injuries are no fun, I hope you work it out...etc, etc.

Cap off: I have a "friend" that shops, cooks, and then cleans up after including the dishes. What would he be?
I'm a stay at home dad throughout the day and a college student at night, so I take care of my toddler during the day, clean the house, cook, and do all the grocery shopping. The only thing I don't really do much around the house is laundry and that's because I have a habit of shrinking stuff that doesn't need shrinking or washing stuff that is only supposed to be dry cleaned. It all looks the same to me and my wife has banned me from doing the laundry. The only laundry I do is when my son has an "accident" in the middle of the night and I need to wash his bedding and pajamas. I get in trouble at least once a week too because I can't tell which blouses get hung up and which get folded and put in the dresser. I try to help but usually it just causes my wife more of a headache trying to find what I did with her stuff. :D

This! My wife was like this in the gym. She asked me to show her stuff and asked my advice and then told me I was wrong and got a personal trainer, who then told her the exact thing I did which she then took as gospel... I had to make sure I pointed out to her that I said the same things and she admitted I was right. She still doesn't listen to me about things though. I think that's just part of having a significant other.

Your wife is a saint. I would've clocked you. Actually, DH and I made a pact when we first got married. Whenever we have a disagreement over something, each of us insisting that we are right, and then we discover that we are actually incorrrect, the party in the wrong must make the statement: "I'm sorry, dear. You were right and I was wrong." However, the wrong party must figure this out for themselves. "I told you so" is absolutely forbidden.

This! My wife was like this in the gym. She asked me to show her stuff and asked my advice and then told me I was wrong and got a personal trainer, who then told her the exact thing I did which she then took as gospel... I had to make sure I pointed out to her that I said the same things and she admitted I was right. She still doesn't listen to me about things though. I think that's just part of having a significant other.
There is a saying in Portuguese that roughly translates into: "A saint can never preform a miracle in his/her own home."
Or "The house of a blacksmith has a wooden door"

You get the idea.....the issue is not WHAT you told your wife, it's that YOU told your wife.
Wait until your kid gets older...its going to be worse with them! :D

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
My husband is the one who introduced me to barefoot running when he was researching it. He runs with what I think we could call a "semi-minimalist" approach to help deal with plantar faciitis. (oh, how do you spell that!) He just doesn't want to work that hard at keeping track of where he puts his feet down all the time, and he IS fast in his shoes. But he is very supportive of my efforts and obviously proud of how much progress I've made. I just figure it's his choice, even if he has injuries once in a while that seem to be due to shoes.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Your wife is a saint. I would've clocked you. Actually, DH and I made a pact when we first got married. Whenever we have a disagreement over something, each of us insisting that we are right, and then we discover that we are actually incorrrect, the party in the wrong must make the statement: "I'm sorry, dear. You were right and I was wrong." However, the wrong party must figure this out for themselves. "I told you so" is absolutely forbidden.
Hahaha! I only made a point of telling her that because at the time we were I think newly weds and we kept discussing how the other person never listened. We both were guilty of it and it had been a learning experience for both of us. We try to listen to each other now, but coming from two completely different backgrounds sometimes make this a little difficult.

"I'm sorry, dear. You were right and I was wrong."

I don't think this would work in our house, one time I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

"I told you so" can be fun as long as it leads to wrestling and hot sex!!! :)

I had been teaching barefoot running clinics for over a year and had written a book, but my wife still ignored my running advice. She finally came around after reading Born to Run. Damn McDougall...

Jason, if it's any consolation at all...although McDougall's book was what lit the fire for me, reading your book and website really helps me with my on-going efforts to learn this new skill. I've said something to my spouse over and over, and she never seems to hear it, but let someone else say the exact same thing, and she'll think it's a revelation from the universe. Just the way it is, I think.

Don't damn McDougall...he opens the door for us noobs, but once inside, we find places like your website, book, and this forum. Seems like a pretty fair tradeoff.

Reactions: NickW
I had been teaching barefoot running clinics for over a year and had written a book, but my wife still ignored my running advice. She finally came around after reading Born to Run. Damn McDougall...
Just chiming in that your's was the first book I read about barefoot running about 2 years ago. I chose it because it was succinct. It got me off to a good, balanced start. Thanks!

Just chiming in that your's was the first book I read about barefoot running about 2 years ago. I chose it because it was succinct. It got me off to a good, balanced start. Thanks!
And I've NEVER read Born to Run... am I the only one?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7