What do we mean when we say "Listen to your body"

Sid,
I agree completely
But, I ran as a senior in high school (a very long time ago) and had heel strike strongly implanted in my brain. Unless the teachers learn to run better, they won't be able to help the students.
When I quit running in the late 70' it was because of knee and lower back pain. Reading Born to Run last winter opened the door to get back to where I belonged. To make your idea viable, somebody will ahve to teach the coaches first, and then the students.

Reactions: Sid
I agree, Lee. It's one of the more frustrating points of these discussions- too many people fail to realize any one solution will only work for a portion of the population. Likewise, it's difficult to get people to understand that others have success with methods that failed them. It's difficult to get people to look beyond their own experiences.

Jane was skeptical, but as a physiotherapist she probably doesn't encounter too many people that have successfully used LTYB. Agile is skeptical because he's a coach for one of the most cerebral methods out there. Others have difficulty understanding the pure LTYB approach because it hasn't worked well for them. Hell, I'm skeptical because I sort of like pain.

I think you nailed it the other day in another thread Jason when you said we all filter information to reinforce our own beliefs, or something to that effect.
There are those out there who think LTYG "Listen to your Garmin" is the way to go. To me this makes no sense whatsoever, so i get on my soapbox and protest, being a confirmed LTYB and proud of it!

At the heart of it though we just want the best for everyone, and if something has worked for you it's very hard to consider alternative methods.

This is such an important topic, Jason, I'd like to borrow it for the home page, please. Let me know.

Thank you, kind sir!

My 310XT is broken and I need to send it into Garmin. So now I have to use my 305. It is much harder to hear the 305 than the 310xt, so I have to listen even harder to hear the 305. Also didn't realize how much I had gotten used to the vibration of the 310xt to tell me to look at the watch and/or inform me it was time to do something (drink, return home, ...).

Reactions: Bare Lee
BL hit the nail on the head. I'm not suggesting LTYB will work for all (or even most), hence the discussion of what I do when it's clear LTBY is not enough. The idea behind the post is to explain what is meant when we say "listen to your body."
I wonder if it might be more clear to say "LEARN to listen to your body" (LTLTYB), since I believe we have a consensus that we mean successful listening and responding, and we cannot count on that coming automatically to us all (in time to avoid injury).

All I can say, is LTYB has worked for me for the last 3 years, I have continued to expand my running distances and speed by using this, I also seem to like a little pain ;), but it has also keep me out of trouble as well. LTYB has been used to ensure I know when to shut it down and when I can push it just a little bit more.

But this being said, I also know that everybody 'hears' their own body differently, and you do have to learn how to do this before pushing the envelope. Some pick up on the signs quickly some do not. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7