What categories should a Barefoot Running Coach/Instructor/Teacher... be rated on?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Back in July, I created a thread titled Barefoot Running Instructors Wanted, so we could start to build a map of people who teach barefoot running methodolgy/technique. It's inevitable. It's going to happen. People are going to be teaching other people "how" to run barefoot. Some people are going to charge. Some people aren't. That's not up to me to decided if they should or should not. I figured the best way to handle this quandary was to "compromise," as my good buddy Jason later would term it. That compromise included building a map of barefoot running instructors, where each person who wanted to be added to the map could do so, at no charge to them, and list all their contact info, credentials, certifications, calendar of events, fees (if any), etc., etc.

Through our discussion there, a week later, I posed some questions about Barefoot Running Instructor Certifications. Specifically, I asked What qualifications should someone have in order to become a barefoot running instructor? I was interested in possibly developing a curriculum, something I have thought about for a very long, long time, and I wanted to hear from all of you to get your feedback and opinons. After much talk on the subject and after weighing the pros and the cons, the fors and the againsts, I decided, at this time, the best stance the Barefoot Runners Society should take on this subject is none. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Is it the right thing or the wrong thing? The jury is still out as far as I am concerned. There's still too many new developments taking place all the time, new blood, new ideas, new growth, new studies, etc., to specifically state what qualifications someone should have in order to teach others how to safely run barefoot. It's too soon to make a fair judgement.

After that conversation, it was clear that there would not be a "judging panel" of senior, experienced, expert barefoot runners developing a curriculum and overseeing who should and who should not instruct barefoot running at this time, without a lot of intense effort and a whole lot more thought and commitment from many, so I thought it would be a good idea to allow the participants of these courses/lessons to be the ones to ultimately determine if the instructor themselves were worthy of the job. This would be done by a sort of peer-rating/review system set up here at the BRS, where after attending a workshop, participants can come back to the BRS and use the soon-to-be devised rating system to critique their instructor/instruction. Then others can decide for themselves if they want to seek assistance from that instructor.

So, I ask you all, what categories should a barefoot running instructor be rated on? (I have my own list, but I want to hear yours.)

I've given this issue quite a

I've given this issue quite a bit of thought... imagine that, huh? ;-) I'd propose something very simple. At the heart of any coaching effort is two questions- did this coach help me and would I recommend them to others. There are a lot of potential variables, like commiunication skill, ability of coach to customize to client's individual needs, ability to motivate, empathy, ability to dignose and correct problems, etc. etc. etc. You can get that complex, or keep it simple. Minimally, I think it is important for people to leave feedback ala something like Amazon.

Thanks for taking this on, TJ... this is a tool that will help lots of people.

Thank you, Jason.  That is

Thank you, Jason. That is helpful. I want to have a rating/review section, so that people can rate on certain catergories, then be able to review in their own words how they felt about the instruction and if they would recommend them to others. What about personal experience with actual barefoot running?

Any other ideas, folks?

I agree with Jason's

I agree with Jason's sentiment. I have thought several times that it would be great to get som "in-person" advice on my form, etc. but have no idea where to go. I know there are BRS members in my area, but I have a tough time getting utside my neighborhood to meet up, what with crazy schedules, kids, etc. Having a simple reference to the helpfulness of another would save me a lot of headache, along with potential pains, etc, from a less than great instructor.

I don't think certification per se is necessary. Running is an open source activity and the community is able to help; however, some members may have a more consistent or effective approach for me. Being able to weigh someone's feedback against my own preferences and needs (similar to shoe or other product reviews) would make the selection process easier. Two categories is manageable and allows for elaboration, since I always like to know "why" someone thinks a certain way...this helps me balance the feedback against my own perspectives. It's the same reason I skip over user reviews of any product that just have stars or single word responses..no help.

I'm a novice, but have spent hours training others in various capacities in my former career and am back in school to become a teacher (not a hierarchical drone, Jason, I swear! I want to encourage THOUGHT), so I have lots of opinions about effective information transmission.

my $.02

So, no categories from you

So, no categories from you then? ;-)

Barefoot TJ wrote:So, no

Barefoot TJ said:
So, no categories from you then? ;-)

lol. i think a category addressing the style of instruction would be helpful. Different approaches resonate differently across individuals, and I would certainly take instructional approach into consideration when seeking advice or instruction.