Wanting to try minimalist running

Sounds good, been a crazy

Sounds good, been a crazy weekend so I havent got to get back out there. Luckily the form feels ok, I ran sprints in track and have always tried to run off the front of my feet and I think that is why the big heels in shoes give me such a problem. I am going to do what I can to get back out there and try again.

Try not to think of

Try not to think of "sprinting" form when running barefoot. It's dangerous to run up on your toes (barefoot and shod, I imagine), something that comes naturally when wanting to sprint. Putting your weight in your forefoot/toes can lead to stress fractures. Instead, you should be wanting a midfoot landing, where you spread your weight out over nearly your entire foot (and yes, do allow your heel to touch down but not first).

Hey Trebin, Glad to hear

Hey Trebin,

Glad to hear your getting into barefoot running! I started about a month ago, and just as everyone has said, make sure you start slow. I am up to about 3 miles now, which actually may be pushing it a little, but my form is getting pretty good. And trust me, those calf muscles will be burning and quite sore for a while, but it's a good thing! I also noticed a lot of pain in my feet, but again it just goes to show how many muscles and ligaments we have in our feet. Wearing shoes only keeps these muscles from doing what they were designed to do. Anyway, I just wanted to post a link to a video that jump started my engine. You may have already seen it, but if not I hope it gives you a little more helpful info. Good luck with the running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

Oh yeah.... a couple things I

Oh yeah.... a couple things I keep in mind when I'm running to help with form: While running, act as if you are trying to stalk a deer. Steven from Invisibleshoe.com mentioned that on a forum and it stuck with me. Another thing to focus on, which I think was mentioned earlier, is to make sure you are always lifting your feet and not pushing off. Focusing on those two things were very helpful, and still are when I am working on form. It's also not a bad idea to have a metronome and set it to 180 bpm(if your a smart phone user, there a many metronome apps out there). It kind of gives you an idea how fast your cadence should be. It's quite a bit quicker than you may think.

I hope some of these small tips help.

Sir Brown (the name is sticking with me TJ) :)

+100 to not doing it every

+100 to not doing it every day either. I really think running every day played a part in my transistion injuries (combined with some stupid moves on my part). But I was stubborn and didn't want to cut back on mileage.

Also if you do end up finding a treadmill you can run on be careful doing it bare/minimal until you really know what you are doing. I see so many people come into the gym, hop on in their VFFs and take off slamming their heels into it. Must be the soft surface lets them get away with it for awhile but it really makes me cringe. Even if they manage to do it, it cannot be good for their body.

Or Sire.  Whichever you

Or Sire. Whichever you prefer. ;-)

Yeah, I doubt I will try it

Yeah, I doubt I will try it on the treadmill right away. I am not much of a heel slammer now. I have a very short quick stride for someone who is 6'5". Just found it easier to run that way instead of lengthening my stride like some of the other tall people.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon