Walking barefoot on concrete and asphalt

I am not sure why, but I seem to have a problem when walking barefoot over a mile on asphalt and concrete with a blister or hotspot developing on my left foot underneath the pointer toe so to speak, not on the toe itself but just up from there. I can run with no problems of blisters or hotspots but for some reason walking longer distances kills my feet. Any suggestions? Short little walks don't bother me at all.

I'm a newbie to this whole

I'm a newbie to this whole barefoot running thing but I'm willing to bet you're pushing off with that foot without thinking about it. Or, you might have just stepped on something. Not real helpful, I know. Just tossing some ideas out there.

Yes it does sound like you're

Yes it does sound like you're pushing through on that side too much. This should change when you go barefoot more. The great thing (well, one of them) about going barefoot is it really tells you how balanced your gait, muscles, - entire body is. When I started barefoot I skuffed my left big toe two times on two separate occassions. Nice and bloody. It made me realize I was dragging that side a bit. Since it made me aware and conscious of the problem, it doesn't happen anymore. You might want to patch up that blister for now though until your gait developes or else you're just going to keep irritating it over and over and it take a long, long time to heal.

Hi Nick,I had the same thing

Hi Nick,

I had the same thing around a year ago. It was due to the fact that I wasn't walking correctly. It would have been around 3-4 months earlier I still would get blisters from running barefoot on concrete. But my running form improved, I never get blisters now. I would say the same thing would be true with the walking. It is a skill that the body will learn over time.

I have got blisters from hot pavements though, when it gets to over 30C air temp I take a lot more care on the pavements.

Neil

Walking is harder on feet

Walking is harder on feet sometimes than running. Building up a little more durable skin will help, but being form conscious will help more. I've hurt myself worse in walking situations than I ever have running, for sure. The worst has occurred in my kitchen!

JosephTree wrote:Walking is

JosephTree said:
Walking is harder on feet sometimes than running. Building up a little more durable skin will help, but being form conscious will help more. I've hurt myself worse in walking situations than I ever have running, for sure. The worst has occurred in my kitchen!

I totally agree with this statement. Give yourself more time for the soles to thicken some more and you'll be fine---after you stop pushing of course.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7