Unhealthy Olympians - Article by Phil Maffetone

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
A good read:

http://philmaffetone.com/unhealthyolympians.cfm

The conclusion:

Society cannot keep avoiding the obvious and continue allowing companies to reap financial benefits by selling harmful products—the very foods that significantly contribute to heart disease and other deadly conditions—while portraying slim, healthy-looking individuals using the products. In the 1950s, doctors were seen in magazine print ads claiming that smoking cigarettes was actually good for you.

It’s not a stretch, but imagine the Mexican drug cartel or the Russian mafia vying for an Olympic sponsorship. I could see the ads; “Our products are 100 percent natural—we guarantee it!” Or, “when your bank says ‘no’ we will lend you money in a heartbeat—no credit, no problem.”

This is not all that farfetched. I could also imagine the outcry.

But the cries about junk food are only starting to be heard. While society has accepted Coke and McDonald’s, and the hundreds of other companies making deadly products, there may be hope. A movement has been underway by people who want to ban the sale of unhealthy products in places like schools, cities and even countries.

In the meantime, prime time TV will continue portraying athletes who are fit, not necessarily healthy, while, unfortunately, more athletes will die an untimely death, typically from a preventable condition.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
I just read this article yesterday. I couldn't agree more and as a father I find it appalling that I have to explain to my daughter that Subway and McDonald's are not the "health food" they are made out to be by the athletes she finds so amazing.
Its sad seeing the disappointment in her eyes, she sees the Olympics as the pinnacle of healthy activity and can't understand why athletes would be selling her what amounts to junk food. Being 5 years old she also has genuine concern for the health of the athletes promoting these restaurants and products.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Well I would have to say that Subway isn't nearly as bad as McD's.

Is that article recent? Because I know a father/son duo who went to compete in the NY Ironman just last week.

Well I would have to say that Subway isn't nearly as bad as McD's.

Is that article recent? Because I know a father/son duo who went to compete in the NY Ironman just last week.
Check out the shear amount of salt in their food Patrick (Subway)... I can't even eat one of their sandwich's without feeling like I just licked a salt lick. Salt isn't necessarily bad for us, but in high quantities like that it's horrible for you. Moderation is key I'm learning with everything.

I think the salt comes from what meat is on the sandwich - cold cuts like salami and pepperoni being the highest.

When I get a Subway sandwich I pretty much always go with wheat bread and no/low-salt and no/low fat condiments like mustard, vinegar, veggies, etc. and usually no cheese.

Quantity is another factor for me. It shows the athlete pushing the foot long subway club with avocado. When you get to the store they are pushing the combo with chips a huge soda and a cookie. Not that people HAVE to get the combo but it bothers me that they advertise healthy and sell utter garbage.

I don't have a lot of experience with Subway but from what I've seen, it's even worse than McD - HUGE amounts of puffed-up. refined wheat bread and goppy, sweet sauces, with low-budget, sulphate/phosphate-laden cold cuts ...

I've always been skeptical of the salt scare, and thankfully newest studies are showing that it isn't anything near as bad as it's been made out to be over the past couple decades.

Also, yes, brand new article, inspired by the London Olympics.

Advertisers have been exploiting athletes since long before the Olympics had official sponsors.

Better for the Olympics to have sponsors than to rake in millions as an "amateur" event while insisting the athletes themselves take a vow of poverty. I doubt many Olympic athletes use the products they or the Olympics advertise anyhow.

The economy of the developed world is founded on the production and distribution of useless products. It doesn't matter if a product is any good, all that matters is if it can be sold. Most people are gullible and stupid, so most products are for gullible, stupid people.

The way to stop athletes from making product endorsements is to pay them. There is not really any such thing as a professional runner, only a corporate-sponsored runner. Pro athletes have contracts, are paid regular salaries, and usually have unions to collectively bargain with their league. They're not beholden to corporations and only the most famous of them bother with endorsements.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
People will make the argument that healthy people can occasionally eat junk at McDonald's and still be healthy. I suppose that's true. Although generally, healthy people don't eat junk food on a regular basis. When they do, it's in small quantities, and they're probably choosier, such as Cheesecake Factory over Little Debbie.

I can't recall the last time I've had fast food (probably over 1.5 yrs), and I've vowed to avoid it for the rest of my life. I was in the grocery store recently and thought to myself, how much smaller the store would be, if they got rid of all the junk and over-processed food. There's probably only 2 or 3 aisles worth of healthy stuff among 20.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon