Trigger point massage made it worse?

yallayalla

Barefooters
Apr 14, 2011
I have some pain on the outside of calf.. really tried to rest and ice. Started rolling it out, and then just learned about trigger point cross massage which I tried last night. I woke up this morning and it felt like I sprained my ankle! WTF?!?! I haven't been running in weeks, and its getting worse! Anyone been through anything like this? Pain on side and now in front of my leg. ARGHARGH HELP!

You did your own trigger point cross massage, or you went somewhere to get it done? Either way, sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better.

So am I describing your pain correctly? It is on the outside of your calf down into your ankle? That's likely your peroneal tendon. Pretty common injury for barefooters.

Go to a sports doctor my friend. This isn't going to go away on its own. Also, continue foam rolling and use a tennis or lacrosse ball on the sole of your foot. The peroneal tendon also extends into your foot.

I have seen a massage therapist three times now to break up the scar tissue in the balls of my feet from the surgeries to remove the neuromas. sigh. The first time didn't hurt much at all. The second time, I could tell she was moving tissue around pretty good, most likely loosened up from the first visit. She used her hands then a tool on the right foot to break up the tissue there. All of it, hands and tool, hurt a little at first; the more she did it with her hands, the easier it got - the more she did it with her tool, it never got easier. No problems afterwards for either of the first two visits. I didn't have throbbing, burning pain in my feet or toes at night when I'm trying to sleep as I often do. Then I saw her again yesterday morning, the third visit. She worked the tissues on both feet pretty hard, and I could feel the tissue loosening and moving around. (I could even feel a lumpy-sensation afterwards walking around for a little while at first.) But! My feet haven't settled down since. They hurt and throb and burn, both of them, and she only used the tool on the left one this time, meaning the right one and the left one are hurting just the same, with or without the tool being used. Why? What is happening in there? Is this normal? To be expected? Will it get better with more visits? Will it get better without more visits?

On a side note, but very important one to me, she found a neuroma on my left foot with her tool. It's very tiny. I can feel it when she runs the tool over it. It "pops" (not really, but that's what it feels like) which is common for a neuroma to do when it has pressure applied to it. Wonderful me. sigh.

Ugh, T.J.! So if it's a "tiny" neuroma does that mean you HAVE to get it removed eventually?

She found a second one today. I feel them too. Other than the scar tissue pain I'm dealing with, burning and throbbing, the neuromas feel like tiny little knots I'm walking around on. She swears she can work the scar tissue off the nerve (neuroma), so I won't have to have surgery again. They do seem smallish at this point. She said she has done this for countless others. My doctor actually referred me to her to have her break up the scar tissue, so let's hope she can make all this better. Otherwise... sigh.

Pain is on the side of my leg- closer to knee, at the thickest part of my calf. I've been resting it and resting it- tried to run a easy mile, and it started to hurt, so I stopped. A week later, no pain, ran 2 miles, no problem. Later that day. Pain. I'm about to jump off Ben Franklin Bridge

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090