Training for hills without hills

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I'm planning on running my first marathon in May. I know it is a fairly hilly course but where I live there really aren't any hills to train on. I don't have or have access to a treadmill. How do I train for a hilly race without hills?

I read somewhere that one of

I read somewhere that one of the big trail runners used to run up flights of stairs. I can't remember who or where I read it though. But I guess he had access to a very large building and would train on the stairwells. If I can figure out a citation for that I'll post it.

Found

Found it

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/article.php?id=153&cat=5

Its under the "training section" but I copied and pasted it here for convenience-

Once a week, run up 2000-foot climb just below your lactic-acid threshold to build efficiency and confidence. If you have no mountains nearby, run the stairs of a high-rise. Zac Freudenburg, who placed eighth last year at the World Long Distance Mountain Running Championship, trains on a 45-story building in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri.

This is very helpful advise

This is very helpful advise for me, since I live in Manitoba, which most runners consider a speed bump a hill.

The tallest buildings in the

The tallest buildings in the area are 2 that are 3 stories, one is my building at work and the other is the Masonic build of which I'm a member so I can try them, work could be a problem bacause of liability stuff but the Masonic building could work.

Jason, you also mentioned bridges, I didn't even think of it before but I have an overpass 1/2 from my house and it had nice shoulders. I'm going with that for now and see how it works. Thanks for the tip, I know I'd get help here.

Bob, same here, my development has speed bumbp and I'm sure I look silly when I'm doing my hill work on them.

I know I get comments when I

I know I get comments when I run up and down the speedbumps, it hard keeping my steps so short to ensure I get the full effect of the up and down!!! LOL

what about a high school or

what about a high school or college football stadium? Those normally have some decent stairs and most likely if you ask they'll let you run them.