toe numbness?

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
Hi there :D

I'm wondering if anyone else gets this problem. The 1st and 2nd toes on my right foot are often numb, like they've been given novacaine, after a longer run. I can work it out somewhat with heavy massage and stretching, but it doesn't go completely away for a few hours. I would say the problem is generated in the ball of my foot and extends out to those two toes, but that's a little conjectural on my part. Also, temperature seems to play a role, the cooler it is, the worse the numbness. And warming the area seems to bring the feeling back.

Oh, last thing, mobility is also affected, I can't curl my toes all the way inward.

Doesn't seem to matter if I'm BF or in my Huaraches.

Got me kind of concerned. Ideas?

This toe numbness is the

This toe numbness is the reason I got rid of my shoes. It affected all my toes though. Maybe a nerve issue? I wish I had more of a suggestion for you. My issue was fixed by going BF.

Well that's odd.  Morton's

Well that's odd. Morton's Neuroma, a nerve condition of the foot, doesn't normally affect the big toe, although it can. Research Morton's Neuroma on the net. It definitely sounds like you have a nerve problem though. Maybe your nerves are being pinched?

TJ (hey you! ) - M's N

TJ (hey you! :D ) - M's N doesn't stop an hour or two after your run, does it? And if you take a couple days off, say recovery period after a marathon, there's no problem at all, untill you run again? And it doesn't only happen every once in a while, right? What I'm trying to do, of course, is present evidence that that isn't my problem, because I sure hope it isn't. But that's basically how it is with me - numbness after some runs. I assume it has to do with landing on the balls of my feet (foot, it's only on the right side).

Something else - I can feel a connection to my hip on the right side as well. When I stretch the hip, the foot seems to get better... sigh.

I don't get the hip

I don't get the hip connection thing at all.

As far as MN goes, it effects people differently. My MN is worse when running higher miles. After I rub my toes for a little bit, it lessens or goes away entirely. If I do nothing and stop running, it goes away within minutes as well. Sometimes just walking around on soft surfaces (or wearing flip-flops, Crocs, or anything spongy will set it off). It goes away most of the time as soon as I get off my feet. If something brushes against my toes, it will set it off. It's a tricky thing, MN.

What makes me hopeful that you don't have MN is that it's affecting your big toe too. That's just not normally part of MN.

Now this probably isn't very

Now this probably isn't very helpful but I've experienced something similar. I injured the muscles attached to my left scapula a few years ago and since then my fingers, particularly my pinky and ring fingers, have gone numb for no particular reason from time to time. I never made the connection until now, I always figured it was due to my playing too much guitar since it started when I was in senior high and practiced a few hours per day.

It very well may be nerve

It very well may be nerve issues related to the hip/back. I have two sliped disks in my lower back that hit the nerves for my left leg and foot. My issue is almost gone now but when it was bad I had numbness in my left foot (different areas different day) Maybe get it checked out if it is bothering you enough.

Wait, Blind Boy, it wasn't

Wait, Blind Boy, it wasn't from guitar right? Haha, otherwise I'm screwed. I've been too busy to do it lately, but normally I'll play at least a couple hours a day.

Sorry to get way off topic, I don't really have anything relevant to add to the actual conversation.

My now 8-year-old son just

My now 8-year-old son just had his first guitar lesson today. His teacher was so impressed with what he already knew, she's advanced him a few lessons. Two of my brothers have played heavily their whole lives, but they don't live anywhere near here.

Danjo: I don't think it was,

Danjo: I don't think it was, no. It just seemed like the logical explanation since it's the "toughest" thing I do to my fingers. A pinched nerve from a little too much heavy lifting, I used to work in a warehouse, seems more likely though since my back's been shouting profanities at me from time to time ever since.

BlindBoy - I had some ulnar

BlindBoy - I had some ulnar nerve issues a few years ago. It was eventually traced back to a neck issue. The symptoms were very much like what you are describing with numbness in the ring and pinky fingers. In my case simply altering my sleep position took care of it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if BF Willie's issue with toe numbness is coming from a similarly remote source (lower back?).

S. Pimp.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7