The hardest thing I've had to do! Give up running...

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
...for the morning!!! ;o)

I was all set for a 10K run. Up at 4:30am and out the door. I'm running the 5k rout my wife picked out with a couple of good "hills" in it, more on them later, and then my usual flatter 5K rout. At the start, my back felt tight. I thought maybe I slept wrong, but found I was chasing my head a little and looking down at my feet. After that form check and adjustment, problem solved. After the first mile shake out, when everything came together and I was nice and loose, my right foot started to hurt where I had gotten the bruise from my first barefoot 5K race on chip seal a week ago. I did notice my steps were a little loud and I may have been "slapping" the first half mile on part of the down hill before relaxing into my form. When I got to the end of the first 5k loop near the house, I was all set to start the other one, felt really fresh and was chomping at the bit, but that nagging voice of reason was reminding me of what I had JUST read last night in BF Ken Bob's book about being willing to walk away, even in mid race, to avoid injury was blarring in my head, drowning out my old HS Football Coach's voice to "Rub some dirt on it and get back in there, son!". I gave in to logic and did not push through the mild discomfort to real pain. That was really hard to do!

I guess less is more, today. I rubbed it down with some ice, lotion massaged the puppies and will look to spin class at lunch to get my exhaustion fix. Then, if I feel good tonight, I may tackle the same 5K rout again and see what's what. Maybe I should take my VFFs or my new Huaraches as extra padding back up?? (Have yet to run more than 200yrs in my Huaraches, but it was easier than expected. I'll probably carry them as back up when I start running trails.)

The silver lining...when I started running a few months ago, I considered the rout my wife had picked out with "hills" to be a challenge! I thought it was too hard cause I remeber them being tough and gassing out on the up hills. It would appear the combination of conditioning, spinning making my legs stronger and much better form than when I started, not to mention being about 25lbs lighter, made the first hill no problem as it didn't even affect my breathing, and I didn't even noticed I was going up the second one till I looked around mid thought.

It's hard to believe I struggled with 2 miles without stopping a few years ago and now I'm complaining cause a bruise won't let me run my 6! Only 3 miles...that's so funny to me. Can't wait till I'm saying I'm "Only running 12miles today." and actually sad about it! LOL!

200years in huaraches eh?

200years in huaraches eh? how'd you manage that? jk. what is the abbreviation for yards? yds? y? hmm. you'd think i'd know but i don't. we the the SI system for physics.

good for you in walking away. its hard to do. even now if gone too far because i was feeling good so i kept on going, forgetting the bigger challenge would be getting back. today with paraganek i chose the shorter trail just in case. we hit a hard trail race on saturday. watching him lay down a very rocky, gravel covered road was amazing and inspiring.

Mike

It's yds.  And 200 years is

It's yds. And 200 years is some hardcore running. No wonder you were tired and sore. But you were wise to listen and back off. Live to fight again another day when you can win. You always have a positive attitude, which, combined with that wisdom, should lead to a happy and prosperous running life. Oh, and which one is you in the picture? I couldn't figure it out (note to reader - blatant, dripping sarcasm present in this sentence).

LOL!  I look good for 200! 

LOL! I look good for 200! ;o) I am a typo master and the unchampion speller, so I'll be giving y'all lots of openings for sure! Also, sarcasm is my native tongue, so blast away! If you can't laugh at yourself, you're missing half the fun!

If you'd told me 6mo ago, I'd start out at 4:30am to run 6 miles and would be bummed I could only do 3 cause of a bruise on my foot, I would have told you you were nuts! I hadn't run more than 2 since my Sr yr in HS, 20yrs ago! Life...what a funny little adventure!

I do have a 5k race on the 10th, so I figured it prudent to lay up. Plenty of time till the 10k race in Sept and the half in December. I'll save the panicked frantic training for November! LOL

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon