Surprised - VFF/BFR discussed at an REI trail running info session.

peacekaren

Barefooters
May 7, 2010
I went to an info session at REI last night about local trail running. It was a useful session in which the presenter described nearly all of the public unpaved running trails within a 45 minute drive. Wow, there are a lot more around here than I realized!

The second 1/2 of the session was dedicated to discussing gear. After the presenter discussed why trail shoes are superior to road shoes for trail running he then pulled out a pair of VFFs and described them as another good alternative! He even mentioned the possibility of BFR! He then pointed out one of the other REI employees who was wearing her VFFs at work that day.

Wow, things have come a long way from a year ago when I was trying to buy VFFs and REI didn't carry them in the store!

Peace,

Karen

so why are trail shoes

so why are trail shoes superiour to regular shoes but VFFs are an ok alternative?

I always thought trail shoes were recommended since they offerered more protection and better traction, neither of which a pair of VFFs will give you.

I'm surprised he didn't say,

I'm surprised he didn't say, ...and when we're done here, why don't you all come on into the store and buy you some?

Our REI was having a barefoot

Our REI was having a barefoot running educational session this week! I think it was yesterday or today. I had a conflict & couldn't go. But yeah, sounds like they are into it. It's encouraging! I know that's where I can buy VFFs locally too.

I agree employees are

I agree employees are driving BF and Minimalistic within stores to some degree. They get as passionate about their sports as we do, they are us in a sense. The Corporate decissions also come into play. last year I was trying to convince a local REI and Fleet Feet to sponsor a BF running seminar with BF Ted. I was shut down and it was obvious to me that they saw no benefit $$.

Move forward a year and they are feeling the pinch and use BF and minimalis seminars to get you in the store. You may not buy shoes but you still need Nuun, water bottles, backpacks, Gels etc. They use them as an opportunity to get us in the store.

It is a win-win

I think in the case of City

I think in the case of City Sports, the CEO is actually a barefoot runner, but at most stores, it's going to be the employees.

shacky it's the sole of the

shacky it's the sole of the shoes. most trail shoes have rock plates built in to protect you from rocks and the lugs on the bottoms of the shoes offer better traction than street running shoes.

vffs and barefoot are also a good option because you are more aware of the ground than in regular shoes. with a thicker sole you wont know you are landing on a rock until it's too late thus you get ankle rolling and bruises from rocks. with vffs the odds are you will not be landing as hard on the feet and you'll be looking where you are landing so you probably wont land on them at all unless you have to. take those things into account and you can count vffs and bare feet into the mix as good options.

Makes sense Jimmy,

Makes sense Jimmy, thanks

I've done a few 10+ mile trail runs in Vibram Classics and my feet were screaming afterwards. I broke down and bought a pair of Treks and am hoping to do a 20-miler this weekend in them. I also placed an order for Ted's Luna Sandals and will give them a shot after they arrive

I have my first 50k planned in September and will wear whichever shoe feels the best (BF is definitely out of the question for this race).

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts