Strengthening regimen for mildly hypermobile newbie?

barefootphilosopher

Barefooters
Dec 8, 2011
I've just started a slow first-day-to-5k running program. I'm running mostly in Evos and I'm not experiencing too many problems; new to running, but pretty good at listening to my body.

Last run, however, during one of my faster intervals my left knee developed a lot of pain on the top of the quad right above the kneecap. Going downhill or stairs was very hard; it felt like it was going to hyperextend. I iced it and took an aspirin. Hours later I was fine and today I did another session with no problems.

Long experience tell me that my joints have a tendency to be hypermobile. (E.g., external rotation of my shoulder is 125 degrees. The physical therapist called over her trainee to take a look!) Experience also tells me that the best way to deal with cranky joints is to keep the muscles strong. I've had knee problems in the past (injured LCL on left, medial meniscus banged up on right) and my usual solution is to do lots of squats.

The hypermobility extends to my ankles, too, and they used to roll out a lot and of course I overpronate.

So, two questions for the Docs:

1) What the ^&*% did I do to my knee two days ago?

2) What exercises in particular would be good for stability?

I'd see my sports doctor, who is great, but I think he'll yell at me for trying to run minimalist with my foot geometry, and also, my symptoms are gone and it's hard to replicate.

I'm no Doc, but I do have a

I'm no Doc, but I do have a suggestion. Since you have this hypermobility syndrome you are more prone to your knee extending farther than what is normal. This can be made worse by stepping in front of you as to do that you have to straighten the leg more. When running make sure to keep a knee bend even when bring your knee forward and this will help to keep you placing your feet underneath of you instead of in front of you. As far as what excercises to do I am not sure, but I know the Docs here are great and will give you good advice. Good luck and hope you are able to sort this out quickly!

You can train for stability. 

You can train for stability. This is very important for the foot and ankle. Spend lots of time doing one leg balance. A stand up work space is good to do this all day. Best to do it barefoot to increase proprioception. Add some challenge with eyes close and rotating position a bit. This training makes ou resilient to roll as does flat/low to drop shoes and shorter strides.

Dr. Mark