Strange heel pain

spanner

Barefooters
Dec 1, 2011
Suffering from some mysterious and very annoying heel pain! I only started running maybe 3-4 weeks ago and my last two runs were in a pair of vivos. Naturally, because I didn't really know any better, I did too much too soon and did two (quite long) runs with only one day apart. The last was on Sunday, and I've not been out since because my heel started hurting! D'oh. It started on the Sunday evening with a dull but quite sharp ache in the 'corner' of my heel, in the centre on the outside, but I can't replicate the pain in any way other than to walk/run in a barefoot way - it hurts when the weight shifts to the ball of my foot, not when I actually put weight on the heel. So I've sort of ruled out PF, because there's no pain in the arch at all, and it doesn't seem like a bruise either because no matter where I push or squash my foot I can't make it hurt. It's been five days and it's mostly the same - in that it hurts most in the morning and by a few hours after I'm up I can walk around and not notice it (especially if I'm in more padded shoes), but it would hurt to run/jump on it. I sort of feel like I could probably run through it but I don't want to do another stupid newbie thing and end up making it worse :( so I'm carrying on stretching every day (which I do usually anyway) and just sort of trying not to let it seize up. Any thoughts on what it could be, how long it may take to heal (and whether I should be resting it completely) or anything I could do to help it heal faster would be much appreciated.

I am not a doctor.  One

I am not a doctor. One should be by shortly. I just want to say that it still could be PF (PF can take place anywhere between the heel and arch where it inserts into the ball of the foot), and maybe instead of stretching it, since it's injured, let it rest. I used to think stretching was the right thing to do, since all the research says so, and I did just as they said, and my case of PF got worse and worse. I believe that stretching actually damages the area worse by pulling the fibers apart, instead of letting them rest and heal. As Dr. G. says, stretching an injury will just piss it off worse. The docs can tell you more. Just don't stretch until you know for sure it is the right thing for you to do.

Thanks for your thoughts TJ,

Thanks for your thoughts TJ, the more I read the more I think it probably is PF after all :( I went for a gentle run in padded shoes the other day after a week of resting (with no change) and noticed that there is actually a similar pain in the other foot too - but clearly not as bad. Running on it was uncomfortable of course and after a while the pain got less (either that or I modified the way I ran so as not to aggrivate it - probably a combination of the two). Felt no better or worse afterwards/next day.

So I've cut down on the stretching (except for the calves before/after a run) and I've started walking around and balancing on the balls of my feet too to try and strengthen them. I intend to continue jogging every other day instead of every day and making sure I don't do anything that makes it worse.

Am I doing the right things? I couldn't bear to stop running altogether :(

I wrote to a couple of the

I wrote to a couple of the docs yesterday, and they assured me they would be posting in the forum today and tomorrow to catch up on the unanswered questions, so please be sure to check back.

If I were you, I would try to heel the plantar fasciitis before trying to take additional measures to strengthen it, as running barefoot will provide enough exercise to strengthen it on its own. I have PF first induced by shoes then reignited after taking some antibiotics that I can't quite seem to shake, so I know that stretching even your calves can aggravate it, as the calves are connected to the plantar fascia through the Achilles tendon. I'm not saying to stop running. If you were to just begin your runs with slow walks that build up to fast walks, then slow runs into faster runs, that will be all the calf stretching you need. I wish I could convince you of this. What I have found is that my calves take a whole lot longer to loosen up during the run if I stretch first. I'm not convinced the best way for us to run is up on the balls of our feet either. I think we need to have a midfoot plant. Sprinters run up on the balls of their feet, but distance runners use more of the foot. Just be sure to let the heel touch down ever so gently. Bend your knees some, not too much especially since you are already dealing with PF, to ensure you don't heal strike and to ensure you run gently. Know that your calves WILL be tight for the first few weeks of running barefoot, just like any other muscle you work at the gym would be. This happens to nearly all of us when we first pick up running zero drop. It will go away though. Good luck, and please keep us informed on your PF. BTW, I have read countless times that barefoot running has helped many runners get rid of their plantar fasciitis, so hopefully, it will work for you too.

Well I took your advice and

Well I took your advice and just did my first run with no stretching before or after. And despite dreading it a little bit, partly because of the no stretching and partly because it was in the morning, it was better than usual - uncomfortable still but my feet felt like they were dealing with it better, and no pain whatsoever afterwards.

So thank you! :D

Regarding foot strike, I *think* I land pretty squarely on the middle of my foot, outside edge. It's hard to tell, but I definitely put less pressure on my heels now than I did a month or so ago before I started this whole thing cos I can recreate my old form (and god knows how I did it for so long, it's bloody uncomfortable) and it feels quite a lot different. Either way, when I run, my main focus is on landing gently first and foremost and using my arches and my knees to absorb the impact. I figure as long as I'm doing those things then I can't be going too far wrong, and hopefully I'm setting myself up well for when I can start properly running in minimal shoes again.

Good to know, Spanner!  So

Good to know, Spanner! So glad the "not stretching" is working for you. Dr. Andrew may be by later to answer the posts; if not, Dr. Mark will be by later this week to answer the posts, since he's traveling right now.

Hi spanner,Im not

Hi spanner,

I’m not exactly clear on where your pain is (was) so I have a couple of thoughts for you.

You could certainly be experiencing some plantar fascia pain, but could also have pain coming from the Achilles tendon.

If the pain is gone I think you are fine to switch back to minimal shoes, but doing some time barefoot would be good because it will force you to quickly correct stride errors and land lightly. Of course I’m not sure of the weather where you are, so that may be a daunting idea.

To deal with muscle tightness and foot pain from being a new minimalist runner you need a rolling pin. Use it on your calves, feet, thighs, shins, glutes, wherever you want to massage out tender spots and eliminate the urge to stretch.

In hindsight, you did too much too soon like all of the rest of us did. Start slow and build up. Do what TJ said and spend a lot of time walking barefoot. You are on a lifelong path, not a goal to be attained. Enjoy it!

Yes, I should have said that,

Yes, I should have said that, massage instead of stretch. Get a Foam Roller or a rolling pin (one that moves independently of its handles). That will help work out the knots, and although it's quite painful to do (especially if you have someone doing it for you to you), it's also kinda pleasant. ;-) You'll see what I mean.

Thanks Andrew.I'm not sure

Thanks Andrew.

I'm not sure either really to be honest. Right now I've just got up and my left foot is painful more on the underside of the heel whereas my right is feeling a little sore at the back just above the heel bone on the outside edge, so that could well be a tendon thing. You know the little sticky out bit of bone on the outside of the ankle, just above where the foot starts? Well, It's sore to press around the back of that. Hmmm.

I'll wait until everything's ok before I start running in minimal shoes again but I've started wearing them when I'm walking out to the shops etc, I generally walk barefoot around the house/office so that should help. And thanks for the rolling pin tip, I'll give that a go!

The peroneal tendons run

The peroneal tendons run behind the outside ankle bone (malleolus). To put it simply, the peroneal muscles help stablize your foot and arch and also tilt the sole of your foot to the outside. You can massage that area with your fingers, its hard to get with a rolling pin.

It sounds to me like your body is just getting used to the new ways you are using it. Take it slow, do the massage, wait at least a week before you do any running at all. Keep doing as much barefoot walking as you can and wearing the minimal shoes when you need. You are on the path, just take it slow for now. When you get back to running, only do 200-400M to start and slowly build up from there. The pain will subside. I find that even now if I don't take the time to roll out my feet and legs after running my feet are sore in the morning when I get out of bed. Even a few minutes makes a huge difference.

Keep us posted!