Sole Soreness

Ok:

I am up to 3 miles a day all the way barefoot, and I can do it on consecutive days. I have no blisters or open sores on my feet, but they are tender on the inside and outside of the ball. Sometimes at the end of my run I have to stay on the white line or dip into the grass for a break. I guess I am looking for opinions on this. Is it ok to be a little tender on your soles after a run, or am I pushing too much?

Sounds pretty normal. It will get better with time. My soles are in a constant state of soreness, but I tend to push it a little, and I ignore the tenderness if it is just sole tenderness.

A couple of options: take a rest day to let your feet recover, vary your terrain, vary your pace. Often my soreness will disappear after a mile or two. If it doesn't, I cut the run short. My last resort, which doesn't happen often, is to throw on my sandals.

The soreness in the soles is pretty common, this will definitely reduce the longer you are at. But as Rick said above, I would take the occasional off day to let the skin on your feet rebound. You will find you will be able to increase your mileage a little quicker if you do that. Allow the feet to heel, or another suggestion if you are like me and really want to run everyday, alternate your distances. A little longer on the first day, say 3 mile then the next day dial it back to say a 1.5 or 2 miles, then after a week of that try 3.5 miles and 2 miles alternated. Not sure it will work but it might make a distance until you get the tolerences up to where you want to be.

Let me be #5 to say that I get that, too...what's funny is that when I first started BFR, when I'd get back home after a run, my soles almost felt wet...I kept checking the floor to make sure I wasn't bleeding all over everything. In the end, everything was fine...

I know I'm a newbie but when I get sole soreness, I just run through it.

How much are you running distance wise right now Lauren? I found running through it is possible, definitely but once I figured out the backing off thing I was able to get my mileage increased substantially now I can run a marathon one day and then go run a 50km the following day (did that twice this year). Also did back to back mountain summits running barefoot as well. The soles of my fee are like iron now ;)

Reactions: NickW
I can run a marathon one day and then go run a 50km the following day (did that twice this year). Also did back to back mountain summits running barefoot as well. The soles of my fee are like iron now ;)
You are an inspiration to me Bob. I just keep wondering if my feet will ever toughen up. For me, it's not fun having tender soles and it seems like it never goes away if I keep running barefoot. I'm amazed how some of you have soles that are so strong.

If your soles are pleasantly tingling, I don't think there's any problem. If they become painful, or get blisters, then yes, I would definitely take some time off. The human body will adapt to just about anything. I used to play stand-up bass 3-4 hours a day. Right now I would get blisters after about two minutes if I were to take it up again.

Reactions: OdiarAmor
How much are you running distance wise right now Lauren? I found running through it is possible, definitely but once I figured out the backing off thing I was able to get my mileage increased substantially now I can run a marathon one day and then go run a 50km the following day (did that twice this year). Also did back to back mountain summits running barefoot as well. The soles of my fee are like iron now ;)

I'm not really running far at all. I am trying to take it in .5 mile increases as long as I'm comfortable. I think that too my feet aren't used to running in the cold. It feels more like a tingling while I'm running and lasts about an hour after I get home.

To answer your question though, I'm up to about two miles.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Mine are worse after I stop running lol and the next morning. Last night I went 3 miles, and the end had pretty rough asphalt. I got in the tub and as soon as the water hit my feet I almost leaped out. Today they are a little sore at work as well. I am wearing my moccasins, but they are definitely abraded.

Is it cheating to run on the white line and also use the grass when I can? haha. I do love trail running, but on all of the trails I use there is at least one stretch where the gravel either stops me or slows me to a walk. I want to be able to handle the large and sharp gravel, but right now unless I can pick a path through it I have to put on my sandals or walk.

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts