Sketchers, Vibram, now Adidas...who's next?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
What I don't get is how anyone can possibly think that you can't get stronger feet from wearing minshoes over boat anchors. Seriously. There's no doubt our feet will get stronger the more we are allowed to use them.

What I don't get is how anyone can possibly think that you can't get stronger feet from wearing minshoes over boat anchors. Seriously. There's no doubt our feet will get stronger the more we are allowed to use them.

They're not thinking, or asking questions or putting any sort of critical analysis in play. When VFF's and Nike Free's first came out, I looked in to getting a pair - after asking some questions and learning about how I'd have to change my running style and that I could not just strap them on and do 10K, I felt that they were not for me at that time. As a function of that, I did not go out and jack my feet up and blame the shoes.

Now, being older and wi- OK, now being older, I knew to ask questions before diving in to minimalist (in my case, Invisible Shoes) and BFR and as a function of that, I did not go out and jack my feet up and blame the shoes. So, I'm two for two on that :)

The thing I'm wondering is what did he expect to get when he got the shoes? Anyone with an IQ greater than that of dry toast should now be vividly aware that minimalist shoes do not have padding (or damn little of it), hence the minimalist moniker. As such, you can't just strap them on and go clodding off in them.

Maybe we should put together a PSA:

Dear potential minimalist shoe buyer -

We see that you're looking at a pair of minimalist shoes. Very good. Now, maybe you've done some internet research by now. Or, maybe you've read Born to Run. Excellent. But just in case you haven't, or just in case you missed a few details, please allow us to highlight a couple of things for you:

You know your feet? They're not made of some special biological foot material; they're made of muscle and tendons and bones, just like the rest of your body. This means that they are going to react to stresses like the rest of your body does. Ever spend 12 years sitting around eating Frito's and watching Sponge Bob? Did you notice how weak and squishy you were because of that? Well, that's sort of what your feet are like right now: Weak and squishy.

So, say that after 12 years, you decide to get in to shape. Did you go to the gym and immediately start benching #250? No? Why not? Right! Because you needed to build up to 250#. Specifically, you needed to strengthen the muscles and tendons and ligaments and such in your arms and chest and shoulders. If you didn't, you'd tear all those things up, as soon as you attempted to lift (if you could get the bar off the rack, that is). Now, remember earlier when we said that your feet are like the rest of your body? Well, this is where that factoid comes in to play: Your feet, ankles and legs have muscles, tendons and bones - just like the rest of your body. Putting on a pair of minimalist shoes and attempting to run your normal distance without any build up is the equivalent of trying to lift 250# without any build up. Further, because you're used to running in shoes with padding and a higher heel, the way you run is going to be wrong for minimalist shoes; you're going to want to fix that.

To review:
  • Minimalist shoes have no padding.
  • You can't run in minimalist shoes the same way you run in other running shoes.
  • You have to build up strength in you feet, ankles and legs.
  • You're going to lose distance, in the beginning.
So, now you know. If you have questions - no matter how stupid or silly you think it is - please feel free to ask. We'd rather answer those questions than learn of another stupid or silly lawsuit where someone got screwed up and is blaming a shoe company because...well...because they weren't thinking.

Thank you,

The Barefoot Runners Society

Think that would work? :)

too much. i couldn't even make it past the first...

it's wine now thank you. my bro-in-law does have a full keg sitting in the babies. playroom. perfect place for it. chill with one while you watch him play.

If I remember correctly, isn't the Adipure a gym shoe, NOT a running shoe? I looked into these a while back and I remember I did not get them because they were designed as gym shoes that were really thick (for this type of shoe I mean) and were not very flexible.

The guy must really have been "geein' it laldy"

translation? o_O

We just had a bruhaha over the guy offering "injured" people a way to extort $$ from Vibram.

translation? o_O

We just had a bruhaha over the guy offering "injured" people a way to extort $$ from Vibram.

Laldy is a Scottish word most commonly seen in the expression to "Gie it laldy".

To give something laldy, whether it be singing a song or running a race, means to put in 100% effort, pull out all the stops, and do so with great enthusiasm or gusto.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
And here I was thinking something vulgar.

;)

Wow, back in '97!
And THAT reminds me of GM's failed attempt back in the '70's to market Chevy "No Va's" in Spanish speaking countries!

They have got to be kidding! That can't be real! o_O

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon