Since when did running in VFFs equate to running barefoot?

Well, I've been back Stateside for almost two years, and I've noticed a big expansion of minimalist shoe options over that time. When I first got back all that I heard of were the VFFs, which do look like feet, and the Nike Frees, which aren't minimalist. So I'm wondering if the fact that there are more non-foot-shaped, minimalist shoes around these days might begin to influence the terms used by the shod masses. I mean, if the VFFs hadn't come along, but if post-2009 BFR had still been a powerful enough trend to influence the move away from over-engineered shoes towards minimalist ones, I doubt anyone would be calling the latter "barefoot shoes."

TJ: I was writing this reply to Smelph while you were replying to me. Your new web site is too good!

I hope so. That's a very possible point too. Yes, we'll just blame it on the VFFs then, looking like ape feet. ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
TJ, I do think there will be an enlightenment towards shoes in the mainstream in the near future. I believe that someone will prove definitively scientifically that barefoot/minshod is healthier to the point no one can question it and people will start to realize modern shoes are the cause of a lot of their problems. These people will for the most part switch to minshoes because they were raised with the belief they need to have something on their feet. That is deeply ingrained in people, very very deeply. There's germs everywhere you know and we need protection from it.:eek: Their children on the other hand will be the ones more willing to go fully barefoot. We've got a while till all this happens. They will talk in the history books about how people for a long time believed that binding their feet and deforming their feet was healthy. They will talk how people wore ill fitting shoes because they looked good, aesthetically pleasing. They will laugh at how stupid our society was for believing these things.

Reactions: Bare Lee
TJ, I agree it's a shame, but I've been a barefooter by preference for some 30 years and I know most people will not give up their shoes. Some people even think it's ridiculous to go without them at home! It pains me to see people who can barely walk in their heavy shoes, so if the minimalist movement can change that, I'll be very happy, especially for my kids.

Reactions: Smelph
I hope so, Nick. That's the future we are trying to create. Too bad we won't be here to see it.

I totally agree, Lee. That's why we support minimalist shoes and the minimalist runner here. There are just way more of them than barefooters, and the increased risks are more significant to the minimalist, so they really need us.

I totally get you. Once we have our About page back on the site, you'll see that we fully recognize that not everyone can go barefoot, all the time, in all terrains, throughout the year. Some people have medical conditions, like I am now suffering with that prohibit me from running barefoot (if I could run at all right now), so I would wear huaraches if I could, although I can walk around barefoot much better. Some people have neuropathy, diabetes, circulatory problems, severe osteoporosis, etc. Some people live in harsh terrains. Some people live in areas where the weather doesn't permit it for most people. We totally get that. We got your back!

To build on Lee's and others' comments, I think one broader goal of all this is to promote healthier feet and more natural alignment. It goes beyond running and into the rest of our days. Whatever the weather, barefoot is not an option for most workplaces. But many can wear VFFs or other minimalist shoes and get away with it. (I still have to put on "real" shoes for important meetings and presentations, but the rest of the time I try to wear VFFs or soft stars. I wear them in my house too as we keep the heat down low and the floors are very cold.)

Barefoot or barely shod, my main goal is to connect with the joy and vigor that comes
from more natural movement and alignment. (that's also why I do Pilates and yoga.)

I've been wearing VFFs since early 2010 and have always been aware of the need to transition slowly. Maybe it's because I did my homework, but the information has never been hidden. The challenge wasn't ignorance, it was exercising restraint as I enjoyed my first snowy runs in VFFS treks and later bare ground and VFF classics.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts