Short question about how to run and walk correctly

claudiovallebona

Barefooters
Feb 15, 2024
I would like to ask the following questions:
1) When you walk barefoot, do you have to land with your forefoot?
2) When running barefoot, do you have to land with the forefoot and then touch the ground with the heel, or doesn't the heel have to touch the ground?
3) Is there an online course/book/school where you can learn how to walk and run correctly?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Claudio Vallebona

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
2) When running barefoot, do you have to land with the forefoot and then touch the ground with the heel, or doesn't the heel have to touch the ground?
3) Is there an online course/book/school where you can learn how to walk and run correctly?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Claudio Vallebona
Relax!

The soles are where we get information about how we are moving, they are not the only parts of the body involved in walking and running (not even when we're barefoot).

I don't worry about trying to force a specific foot landing, as long as it is not uncomfortable while barefoot on rough terrain. When it is uncomfortable, it is letting us know that something is wrong. But, the foot landing will sort itself out, when the remainder of our body is walking or running as it should. (bent knees, vertical torso, relax, relax, RELAX! - and all that)

It's funny how some folks get wrapped up in the idea that the foot needs to be at a certain angle or whatever, It's like, What angle to hold a bottle while pouring wine? It's going to vary, depending on many factors, like how much wine is in the bottle (which is changing as we pour), how fast do you want it to pour, do you mind some gurgling?

Once upon a time, when many articles were in the media about barefoot running focusing on the "forefoot strike", many people assumed they must keep their heals from touching, and so a lot of folks tensed up their calves. And a lot of people developed sore calves, and then stress fractures in their feet. It's a lot of work to keep the heal off the ground. A lot of work, is something I'm adamantly opposed to - especially when the product is pain and injury!

It's funny that at that time, one fellow saw me and said, "You're running wrong. I see your heels touching!"

"Running up on the toes", has never been my advice. That was advice from journalists who heard about fore-foot landings and assumed that it stopped there, at the forefoot! And many people have been injured as a result.

Focus on what the rest of the body is doing, a RELAXED foot-LANDING (not strike) will adapt depending mostly on how fast we're walking or running, but also depending on the terrain, if we're wearing a backpack, our specific body shape, weight, arthritis. other old injuries, etc..

Sprinters often run up on the toes while running very fast for a short distance!

I've never been capable of running that fast.

more at:
https://how.barefootrunning.com/

Relax!

The soles are where we get information about how we are moving, they are not the only parts of the body involved in walking and running (not even when we're barefoot).

I don't worry about trying to force a specific foot landing, as long as it is not uncomfortable while barefoot on rough terrain. When it is uncomfortable, it is letting us know that something is wrong. But, the foot landing will sort itself out, when the remainder of our body is walking or running as it should. (bent knees, vertical torso, relax, relax, RELAX! - and all that)

It's funny how some folks get wrapped up in the idea that the foot needs to be at a certain angle or whatever, It's like, What angle to hold a bottle while pouring wine? It's going to vary, depending on many factors, like how much wine is in the bottle (which is changing as we pour), how fast do you want it to pour, do you mind some gurgling?

Once upon a time, when many articles were in the media about barefoot running focusing on the "forefoot strike", many people assumed they must keep their heals from touching, and so a lot of folks tensed up their calves. And a lot of people developed sore calves, and then stress fractures in their feet. It's a lot of work to keep the heal off the ground. A lot of work, is something I'm adamantly opposed to - especially when the product is pain and injury!

It's funny that at that time, one fellow saw me and said, "You're running wrong. I see your heels touching!"

"Running up on the toes", has never been my advice. That was advice from journalists who heard about fore-foot landings and assumed that it stopped there, at the forefoot! And many people have been injured as a result.

Focus on what the rest of the body is doing, a RELAXED foot-LANDING (not strike) will adapt depending mostly on how fast we're walking or running, but also depending on the terrain, if we're wearing a backpack, our specific body shape, weight, arthritis. other old injuries, etc..

Sprinters often run up on the toes while running very fast for a short distance!

I've never been capable of running that fast.

more at:
https://how.barefootrunning.com/
Ken Bob always has the best advice.

And how drunk you are... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Random
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Claudio Vallebona
Whether running or walking I typically step with the ball of my foot and grip with my toes, my heal lightly touches if at all. If the ground is particularly soft and pleasant, I tend to heal-step a lot more and to massage the arch of my foot with the ground, such as out in the forest. If you haven't had that experience, you should go seek it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7