Shift workers...

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
I was wondering how many more of you all work shift? I'm kind of curious if there are any statistics that show how many marathoners or ultra runners do well yet work shift. I know shift work is stressful on the body but I think I'll probably be doing it for the rest of my career. I do aspire to be an ultra runner, though those are lofty goals right now with my longest race ever being 1 10k I did last year. But I am determined to try a half marathon this year and a full next. We'll see how those go first. Anyhow back to the shift work...

Our shift rotation is actually neat in some regards... it allows us to all equally experience weekdays, nights, weekends, hollidays etc. No shift has any advantage over another. I work for the power company and its a 24x7x365 thing, if y'all want power. ;) And due to the reliability and critical nature they dont want all the newbies stuck on nights, all the seniors with the best shift, etc. We do 12hr shifts, and there is always one shift on days, one on nights, one on call, one on their off week, and one on short break. And it rotates every week through the cycle. We do a week of 4 nights, a week of 3 days and 3 nights, a week of 4 days, off week, and on-call week. It balances out to 40hrs, unless we get called in more than that on our on-call week.

I'm actually on my last night right now, getting off in 3 hours at 6AM and have the next two days to flip my internal clock 180º and be back in to work 6AM on thursday. I can usually handle the switch to nights by staying up a bit late and sleeping in the couple days prior but the switch back to days kills me almost every time.

So anyone else here work shift? Am I doomed to constant stress? As if I didnt have enough stress already. :confused:

I work a 12hr southern swing so i definitely feel yah on the training disadvantages of this kinda life. The only advantage I've been using in my training is to do longer runs on your last shift of nights, when you're at your "darkest hour." Or get up between 10 or 12 in the morning while sleeping on your night shift to do some "conditioning or acclimating runs." Its been hot as hell here in Wi (much like alot of other places) so I've been doing some acclimating runs on my night shifts since I always seem to wake up at noon for a little midnight snack instead of eating, just getting a 3-5 miler in.

My aspirations are possible ultras as well, but I'm trying to build up to a barefoot marathon distance by sept. I can do a 10k no problem with my current pads. Reply or Pm me for further discussion, this is my first post on this site but crossed over form trainers to vff and barefoot back in march.

Welcome to the forum, Fatty. I usually sleep better when I am on night shifts believe it or not, so dont want to cut into that sleep much. But I do sometimes get up early like 2-2:30pm and have time to get an hour or so run in. Need to hop in the shower and start getting ready for work 4-4:15pm. Actually in the heat of summer I have been doing some runs when I get off nightshift at 6am and its still cool out. I'll sometimes run after a dayshift too but I'm usually more stressed and sleep deprived.