Running w/dog

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
Just curious as to whether or not any of you run with your dog. We have a Pug who certainly could not run with me, but I'm trying to convince my husband to get another, bigger dog and just realized that maybe he/she could be my running companion!

I run with my standard

I run with my standard poodle often. I haven't taken her more than about 5 miles because she is still young (just turned 2), but in the winter she is happy to run as long as i will let her. Summer is different, she would like to keep running, but I'm afraid she will overheat so I only take her for the first mile or two.

Some breeds can go farther than others, particularly those bread to run long distances like Dalmations and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Retrievers (which actually includes standard poodles) can go a long way, but they need conditioning just like people. I think any large dog would do well, Boxer, Greyhound (they aren't so good on distance though). I would think about what kind of breed you are looking for and then find forums for that breed and ask there.

Hi everyone....trying to get

Hi everyone....trying to get caught up on forums...been partying for a couple days ;-)...but had to take a moment to respond....I love running with my dog, but I don't go more than 4 miles with him (he's a husky and loves to run...summer is a bit hot for him). There are so many things I like about running with him. There is one thing I didn't like...a week ago last wed. we were running in the rain, on mud, on trails, etc...part of this run took me around a large pond, with a slight lateral decline, and a few geese ran honking in front of us...my pup, excited lurched after them, and me on the incline with mud, slipped....torqued my ankle a bit...so I have had to lay off running a little...waiting for it to heal.

BUT yesterday he got off his lead and ran, and I was able to run after him to catch him, leash him, and run back, without any more ankle pain....so I think I ready to jump back on the mileage tomorrow!!!

Things I love about running with my dog:

1) I like running with HIM, instead of him running with ME....I like to try to keep up with him, and when he naturally slows down, slow down with him....I like to try to be in-tune to his instinctual way of moving.

2)Like reading about the persistence running hunting method in Born To Run, I LOVE the fact that toward the end of our run, HE is behind me, trying to keep up (don't worry, I don't push him too hard....and he's still young ;-) There is just something satisfying about "out running" a dog.

3)He is always happy when we run together, and I am too.

Don't get me started on

Don't get me started on Labradoodles! I have friends in Poodle rescue that are over run by them. Not that any dog is a bad dog, but the breeders have been very irresponsible, charging crazy prices for mutts and making promises that can't be kept. If anyone wants a Labradoodle, check with the poodle rescues first, but be warned, groomers charge more to groom a doodle than to groom a Standard Poodle.

Besides, if you are going to pay crazy prices for grooming, just go with a S'Poo! (I groom my own.) Standards aren't prissy dogs, they are hunting dogs. My hubby didn't think he would like a poodle, but he is VERY attached to her now! I've promised him no sissy hair cuts :)

th_stick1.jpg

Standard poodles are any

Standard poodles are any poodle over 15 inches at the shoulder, although most are around 23 to 26. They have a lanky build, so my girl is 23.5 inches at the shoulder, but only 43 pounds. Since they were bred for the same purpose as Labrador and Golden retrievers, they have the same temperament, although I'm told S'Poos are calmer (mine is still a wild puppy so the jury is still out on her, LOL.) They are very intelligent, like a German Shepherds, (I've known several people that have had both). The major difference being that Poodles have hair, not fur, so they need to be groomed but do not shed.
We got a poodle because we have allergies. Since hypo-allergenic only applies to a clean dog, mine gets a bath every 7-10 days. I do a little grooming after each bath so it isn't such a huge project like doing it all at once. Home grooming isn't all that hard and most people with pet poodles don't bother with the fluffy head and tail or long ears.

S'Poos also come in prints and stripes, called Party poodles :) Although having more than one color is considered a fault in AKC. These are a pair of "Party" poodles in non-frufru hair cuts.
n_a

Poodles love water and even have webbed feet. I know people with S'Poos that are highly competitive hunting dogs and dock divers. They are also fantastic with kids. (Those highlighted parts should be links to youtube videos.)

Excellent working dogs, entire teams of poodles have done well in the Iditarod

129-2969_IMG.jpg

There are people that breed big poodles, sometimes called Royal (although it is not an official designation) the male Royals can be nearly 30 inches and 100 pounds, but I've never seen one that big. There are also breeders that specialize in Klein poodles, who are on the smaller side, 16-20 inches.

They are super affectionate and playful. They love to perform and make people laugh which is part of why they were popular for circus dogs.

I spent a year researching breeds before choosing a standard poodle and have never regretted it.

The best place to learn about poodles as ask questions is the yahoo group http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/standard_poodle/

That is where I learned the most and learned how to groom. Many of the participants on the forum are breeders and rescuers and can help you find a great dog if you decided to get a S'Poo.

Wow!  Thanks Wendy!  I have

Wow! Thanks Wendy! I have to confess that I never even gave the Standard Poodle a consideration. I've always equated Poodle with little foo-foo lap dog. A friend of mine who is part of an animal rescue program recommended to S'Poodle to me last night. Interesting timing! I love all the qualities that you mentioned. Loves water, loves kids (a definite must), laid back (eventually!). I've got some reasearching to do!

lemme see if I can do the

lemme see if I can do the picture thing ;-)...here's my pup...if it works...

17254_1365562699692_1250394823_31079869_6287739_n.jpg

sorry about the double

sorry about the double post...that was odd...but I got it to work...forgot about the resize thing...oops!

I haven't been posting

I haven't been posting anywhere lately, but figured this was a good thread to re-introduce myself and move over from Runners World...where I was "RunsWithPit."

Running with a dog is great, but sadly I don't run with my Pit like I used to. My boy is getting old...so I take him for a mile or two warm up, then take him home and head back out. He's still good for longer hike/sprints through the forest, where he can dip into the creek to cool off periodically.

Having a dog that expects you to run with him/her is a great way to all but guarantee you get in at least a mile a day too.

He's probably the best dog

He's probably the best dog I've had so far (we've always had one :)...I am partial to Huskies...but he's an atypical husky, not as aloof, has less of a working dog mentality, and more of the personality of a golden...it's a little odd, but he's also by far the smartest dog I've ever had. Of course, I'm not totally in love with him or anything :-D. I look forward to many more years with him, he's only 6.

You are very welcome

You are very welcome Fettish4running :) Like dispelling myths about barefoot running, there are a lot of myths about standard poodles too. My friend that has the hunting poodles got hers because he husband wanted new hunting dogs and she said only if she got to pick them out. He was not happy at first when she picked poodles, but they passed through hunting school with flying colors and he has been the envy of his peers whenever they are out. Poodles will even point.

Here are the hunting pair. Poodle are also topiaries, you can make them look any way you want :)

I'm amazed at how different

I'm amazed at how different you can make them look! I always think of the stupid way they look in dog competitions. Obviously, I'm overlooking an awesome breed! I've been reading about them all morning and am SO impressed! Thanks for educating me.

And btw, welcoe Joel! I'm pretty new here too, but I'm really liking it!

Thanks fetish! I used to

Thanks fetish! I used to participate a bit at RunnersWorld, so I recognize lots of folks and topics of conversation here.

Pit Bulls are great dogs too that you may have misconceptions about. I'll spare you my Pit Bull rant, and just say the shelters are full of Pits desperately in need of good homes...

I love my running buddies!I

I love my running buddies!

I have two black labs, and they make the perfect running companions. I take my dogs out for runs of up to 6 miles in the summer, unless it's really hot. They don't do well in the heat. In the winter time they can go forever, and I've taken them on runs of 10 miles and longer.

Running with your dog is one of the best things you can do for them. Mine are always so happy and appreciative after a run. As others have said, make sure you get a breed that can run for long distances (mostly medium and large breeds). And be sure to keep in tune with them so as not to overwork or injure them! Good luck!

I just got home and saw

I just got home and saw something so heart breaking. A guy was running on base with a yellow lab. It was 4pm, 94 degrees, the dogs tongue was lolling out of mouth and his head was hanging. The guy was headed away from buildings out around the flight line and carrying no water whatsoever. If I could have stopped to say something I would have, but I doubt he would have listened. Poor dog. People often think that because a dog is so much faster at a sprint, that they have more endurance than we do too.

On a more positive note, lots of beautiful dogs here!

Last summer, I saw a man and

Last summer, I saw a man and his family pulling their dog along from behind a golf cart. (I run in a golf cart city.) The dog could barely keep up. It's legs were not turning as fast as the cart's wheels. I ran as fast as I could passing another golf cart in front of me yelling, "Stop! Stop! Stop! You're dragging that dog! He can't keep up! Stop!" I was ready to throw-down. Just then the other cart I had cut off full of people, pulled up behind the man, and I thought for sure I was gonna get my @$$ kicked, but the driver yelled, "Dad, see I told you he couldn't keep up!" Whew! About half an hour later, I was still out running, and I see the cart coming back...this time with the dog seated beside it's owner in the front seat. You got that right!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts