Running consecutive days barefoot

Spooner is an animal, therefore he falls out of the standard deviation curve...

I run consecutive days occasionally when not on my marathon training plan, but I'm forced to when on the plan just to get the miles.

It's been said above, but you just need to listen to your body. If it's in pain, give it a rest. If not, press... CAREFULLY.

Your body knows how much it can take. Push it a bit until it barks and don't let it bite.

Cheers.

For the past 25 years running on consecutive days has been the route to injury for me. Since I satrted barefooting, I run barefoot one day and with shoes the next and tend to run 6 days a week. I wish I had done this years ago.

I am quite happy with running only every other day during weekdays (and I only run on weekends if there is a race or a group run with friends) , it looks like that's the most my body (understand knees) can take. Just finished my second year of BFR.

I'm another one of those who would love to be able to run every day. I'm also a little beyond my second year of barefooting, and I run 3 or 4 times a week, always with at least one day in between runs. I'm shooting to run on consecutive days sometime this year, but for me the big limiting factor is how sensitive my soles feel, which is related to the roughness of the surfaces I've run on. My soles recover better and more quickly this year than last year. So the theme seems to be for a lot of us that everything improves with time.

The one time I ran consecutive days, on purpose, I was only able to run 2-3 miles a day -on pavement without issues. Since converting to trail running I have been able to run 5-7 miles every other day, regularly, without issues. Apparently there is some sort of trade off. I think I can run longer distaces if I do it every other day. I think that day in between is really important.

Reactions: paraganek
I'll bet it is, and aren't trails just generally less abrasive? Not less pokey/shrapnel/painful, but less abrasive?

The one time I ran consecutive days, on purpose, I was only able to run 2-3 miles a day -on pavement without issues. Since converting to trail running I have been able to run 5-7 miles every other day, regularly, without issues. Apparently there is some sort of trade off. I think I can run longer distaces if I do it every other day. I think that day in between is really important.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I'll bet it is, and aren't trails just generally less abrasive? Not less pokey/shrapnel/painful, but less abrasive?

Trail terrain is uneven, and that is what bodies are biomechanically built to run on -not flat, even surfaces. So in that way, you are less prone to pain and suffering on them. I have also noticed that any issues I have are always exacerbated by pavement running, and are rarely exacerbated by trail running. Over the last month I have significantly increased my mileage and some of my issues are actually getting better. It's too soon to tell if it's a direct correlation, but I am hoping so. Time will tell.

I'm curious about some of the people like Gentile who run long distances barefoot (or even any of you that run short distances too) if they are able to run consecutive days on pavement or if they need a break too... Whether that's just a break from pavement or an actual off day from running.

I always run on consecutive days and twice a day a lot of times. I am not running BF as much as I was now that we are getting up into the 100s down here in Texas. We had a pretty mild winter around these parts and I think at one point I had run BF 20 out 21 days.

ETA: I should mention that it took me about 3 years to build up to this kind of schedule.

Spooner is an animal, therefore he falls out of the standard deviation curve...

I run consecutive days occasionally when not on my marathon training plan, but I'm forced to when on the plan just to get the miles.

It's been said above, but you just need to listen to your body. If it's in pain, give it a rest. If not, press... CAREFULLY.

Your body knows how much it can take. Push it a bit until it barks and don't let it bite.

Cheers.
Pilot, Have you heard from Talon as of late? I lost his cell number when my phone had to be reset.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon