Running blind

Matt the Garmin trick worked

Matt the Garmin trick worked but I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but my GPS map data was all over the place. Will try again on my next run and see if it's a one off occurance.

Had my first experience with

Had my first experience with trying to run while not being able to see clearly. My contacts were not working too well, left me with basically no vision other than blurry images. Ran 10 miles this way, and sure had to rely on my form, as there was no hope in H-E-double hockey sticks that I would see any of the rocks and other nastys on the ground (gravel and chipseal on route). Came out unbelievably well, and only hit 1 or 2 rocks that affected me in anyway. My running partners (all shod) just shock their heads (at least that was what they told me) and chalked it up to my little off centre personality. I just said, nothing like finding a new challenge. ;-)

Lasik surgery two weeks ago

Lasik surgery two weeks ago has completely changed my view of my surroundings and running is even more joyful. What did it for me was running in a relay last month, during which I had each the sundown and sunrise legs was frustrated to have to carry both sunglasses and regular as the light changed from one extreme to the other. Running without glasses for me was simply unsafe and disorienting, and then even so when the glasses fogged up because the prescription was distorted. Perhaps it's being a woman, but I always need to be able to see clearly around me.

What's amazing to me now is that when my glasses fog up my vision is not impaired and the tear duct plugs have actually helped with the steam. Who knew.

First off, I haven't

First off, I haven't posted/read here in forever (not that I posted a lot to begin wtih) but I happend to check in today and read this topic, great stuff!

I've got an optic nerve disorder, so about 3 years ago I lost a good portion of my vision and am now legally blind. Being a nerve disorder there is really nothing to be done for it so I'm basically always running blind. I can see enough to get around, not get hit by cars and the like (though I can't deny tumbling over a curb/pothole/step on occasion) but most debris is pretty tough to spot.

Shod running was really hard on my knees, but for the longest time going barefoot terrified met. Eventually I converted, but wouldn't run anywhere but the nicely groomed sidewalks at the park and got some vffs for everywhere else. Lately though it seems my feet have been rebelling against any kind of footwear, so I've basically ditched them, and I'm loving it! Even some of my freinds who run barefoot give me crap about it because I can't see all of the glass that's supposedily eveywhere on the road, so it's pretty awesome to hear your stories!

You are an inspiration,

You are an inspiration, Ryan! A true inspiration. I love your attitude.. You're working through it, and you're getting there. Thanks for checking in. Stick around, won't you?

Ryan wrote:First off, I

Ryan said:
First off, I haven't posted/read here in forever (not that I posted a lot to begin wtih) but I happend to check in today and read this topic, great stuff!

I've got an optic nerve disorder, so about 3 years ago I lost a good portion of my vision and am now legally blind. Being a nerve disorder there is really nothing to be done for it so I'm basically always running blind. I can see enough to get around, not get hit by cars and the like (though I can't deny tumbling over a curb/pothole/step on occasion) but most debris is pretty tough to spot.

Shod running was really hard on my knees, but for the longest time going barefoot terrified met. Eventually I converted, but wouldn't run anywhere but the nicely groomed sidewalks at the park and got some vffs for everywhere else. Lately though it seems my feet have been rebelling against any kind of footwear, so I've basically ditched them, and I'm loving it! Even some of my freinds who run barefoot give me crap about it because I can't see all of the glass that's supposedily eveywhere on the road, so it's pretty awesome to hear your stories!

Alright, that is a big wow from me, my little bit of blindness for my run is nothing in comparison to that. You are definitely a inspiration to us all. Keep it up, man good on you.

Thanks for the comments, I

Thanks for the comments, I love the idea that I could inspire anyone! That being said, it's not like my life is really all that difficult, we all have issues to deal with and I have fewer than a lot of folks.

I really think it's cool that other people are willing to step outside their comfort zone and do something like run barefoot without their glasses. A big part of dealing with the vision loss was getting over the fear of the unknown, but after nearly 4 years I've gotten comfortable with it. Hearing about your exploits makes me realize that although my comfort zone has changed, I'm stuck in it again!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7