rolling sucks

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
yesterday i did an 8 mile road run. my first maf test. i felt great. like i could've run for another hour. i got home and did some yoga. still feeling good. i then rolled my legs out and omg. it wore me out. it was more of a workout than my run. i had just run three days in a row too, all bf. quite a lot for me and this? rolling wears me out? crap.

i was wheezing and sweaty from it. i was so relieved to be finished. hopefully it along with some massages it will get better.

for now, rolling sucks.

Just another part of the

Just another part of the workout routine. Lol. Should help with core stabilty?
regular_smile.gif

migangelo wrote:yesterday i

migangelo said:
yesterday i did an 8 mile road run. my first maf test. i felt great. like i could've run for another hour. i got home and did some yoga. still feeling good. i then rolled my legs out and omg. it wore me out. it was more of a workout than my run. i had just run three days in a row too, all bf. quite a lot for me and this? rolling wears me out? crap.

i was wheezing and sweaty from it. i was so relieved to be finished. hopefully it along with some massages it will get better.

for now, rolling sucks.

Suck it up! The more you do it, the better off you will be and the easier it gets.

Try rolling with a 4"x2' PVC pipe, then see if rolling really sucks.

Nick, shut it or i will spill

Nick, shut it or i will spill the beans on you!!!!

the only thing i'll be sucking up is beers.

do i want foam on the pipe or just as is? i was thinking of walking down the street to the home depot so i can make a slosh tube. if i do that i may as well buy a piece for rolling. my rolling pin just don't work the hammies out.

i know the more i do it the easier it will get. for now, it sucks.

Dude I already said I had to

Dude I already said I had to pull the bit** card the other day and had to throw on the huaraches because I couldn't take the gravel on the trail like you can. I also have two new stone bruises, one in each arch plus a giant blood blister on ball of right foot from a rock I stepped on during our trail run.

Back to the subject at hand, I just got a foam roller for Christmas so am interested in learning how to use it myself. I usually just use my hand roller thingy, kind of like a rolling pin. Oh and Mike you missed a great 8.53 mile run yesterday with me. Bad thing was there was this dude running down in the park who was running two laps to every one of mine. Made me feel super slow. By the end of my third or fourth lap though he stopped looking at me funny for running barefoot with the stupid vff's in my hand and he actually seemed to get nicer and say hi when he passed me.

ha. i almost made a post

ha. i almost made a post about that but decided not to. that's not a fun trail to start out on. Jen and i went to forest park where i was just barely witness to her getting attacked by a maniacal chiropractor telling her she needs orthotics. i was a little slow in reacting and a bit far away to get there in time to help her out. it was not a good way to end our run. you need to go there next time. the gravel is a bit more giving.

Yes, I that chiropractor's

Yes, I that chiropractor's lecture traumatized me for life! NOT! It was amusing though. If Mike would have come over, he would only have to rip off his jacket and show the chiropractor his shirt that said, "It Takes Balls to Run Barefoot" -and that would put him in his place! Lol.

That trail that Mike and I were on is a good one.

I almost peed my pants laughing when Mike whipped out that rolling pin. I was thinking maybe I should put him in the oven when he was done rolling himself out. Probably works great for calves and quads, and smacking intruders, but, otherwise... :) Mike, just be normal for once and get a foam roller.

And, Nick, foam rollers rock! I've used one for years. They are the only thing that REALLY gets the glutes and hamstrings - and it won't wear you out, though it does take practice to learn to "feel" when the trigger points have released.

It wears me out trying to

It wears me out trying to hold my arse off the floor so I can roll forward and backward on my calves and hamstrings. Maybe I need some kind of rolling platform to sit on hah.

That seems to be the problem

That seems to be the problem with the rolling pins, too short.

I'm using a 4" x 2' PVC pipe

I'm using a 4" x 2' PVC pipe wrapped in 2 layers of blue sill plate foam insulation (used underneath the bottom plate of wall framing in houses). It's probably at least 5" total diameter, but it's still difficult for me to keep my back end off the floor.

PatrickGSR94 wrote:I'm using

PatrickGSR94 said:
I'm using a 4" x 2' PVC pipe wrapped in 2 layers of blue sill plate foam insulation (used underneath the bottom plate of wall framing in houses). It's probably at least 5" total diameter, but it's still difficult for me to keep my back end off the floor.

Patrick, Patrick, Patrick...if you really want street cred, you gotta' roll the PVC straight. None of this foam insulation stuff needed.

Rolling pins are too short for me, btw.

it's not holding myself up

it's not holding myself up that wears me out. it's the rolling of the knots. that part makes me pant and sweat.

I have short T-Rex arms. I

I have short T-Rex arms. I use the foam yoga helper blocks to get enought height for rolling effectively. Got any old phone books to try?

I've never "rolled out" my

I've never "rolled out" my muscles? what is the benefit? Should everyone do it or just if you have a knot?

It's primarily to get rid of

It's primarily to get rid of knots, sometimes by applying pressure to the knot itself, and/or to their corresponding trigger points.

So if I don't get knots

So if I don't get knots there's no reason for me to do this? It just seems so many people do, even before races. Do muscles really knot up before races? Maybe I'm just lucky that my muscles don't knot up.

If you do not have pain, then

If you do not have pain, then there is no reason to.

Most people who have knots in their muscles, usually have the same reoccuring knots in their muscles, which can be due to a variety of things, such as over-use of the muscle and it's corresponding ligaments, repetitive strain injury to the muscle and it's corresponding ligaments (usually from repetitive jobs), and of course accidents and injuries to the muscles and their corresponding ligaments, etc. Also, anytime there is a musculoskelatal imbalance -such as a twist in the hips, or a short leg, etcl, muscles tend to get knotted in response due to the uneven strain on the ligaments from the imbalance.

So "some" lucky people just have not encountered these types of problems, or not many, and may not have any knotted muscles, or at least not chronic ones. As for the rest of us - we suck! :)

Most people have some knots in their muscles and do not necessarily realize it unless they start poking around. The benefit of getting out knots is to increase your musculoskeletal alignment, which, with regard to racing will make your body more streamlined and should allow for faster speeds.

It is important to note, however, that you do not always get rid of knots by actually working on the knot itself, though that can work. A more efficient way is by learning where the trigger points for the painful muscle are and working on those points (they are not usually on the painful muscle).

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon