Rockstop Huaraches

Art

Barefooters
Jun 24, 2010
So, quick backstory: I wanted a pair of MT100s, but they're now really hard to find in common sizes, so I'm stuck waiting for the MT101s to drop in October, reflecting on Jason running 68.8 miles in huaraches at Burning River, and thinking it's time to give huaraches another shot, when I come across this post on the google group.

I had a good run in my homemade huaraches (6mm Vibram cherry sole, 4(?)mm black paracord laces), but wanted to try the "cutting board rockstop" to get a little extra rock protection. Fortunately, I had a second pair of homemade huaraches to experiment on, and I got a cheap, thin, flexible cutting board at the local homegoods store for $5, so the risk was low.

I used barge cement to glue the cutting board on the forefoot section only (you can see the line on the "after" photo below, and added a layer of old denim for a footbed. About 8oz each altogether, and I also followed Josh's tip to remove the "mantle" from the paracord so the laces are flatter. Tied via the "slip-on/slip-off" method.

Here what they looked like when finished:

a989f3e6-c0c2-428f-8991-3f641ece0fa7.Medium.jpg

I really enjoyed the extra protection from the trail...I was aware of stepping on rocks, but there were no "ouchie" moments. At the same time, I felt like the huaraches still kept me honest on my form because if I didn't land fairly flat, I would end up sliding around some on the footbed.

However, I still need to work on my construction technique (and probably use a lot more barge cement), because after 15 miles on the Poto trail (and about 20 total miles), my new huaraches were looking a little ragged and the cutting board and denim were coming unglued (another 5 miles pretty much separated the vibram sole from the cutting board):

d1d694be-6063-4635-bf2a-3f7c54a5ad85.Medium.jpg

I will be repairing and am open to suggestions for other footbed materials...denim is not quite right...a little slippery. And I might use a thicker/wider climbing rope for the laces, but overall, I am very happy with this pair...if I can only get them to stay in one piece!

For those that are

For those that are interested, here is another way to tie them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuUtsA5oew

i never could get used to the traditional tying method. This way works out great for me.

FYI, the rockstop huaraches

FYI, the rockstop huaraches are repaired and ready for their race debut at the Woodstock Hippie Half Marathon on Saturday. Fingers are crossed that they are ready to stand up to another 13 miles on the Potowatomi Trail. If I write now that I'm going to write a race report, I gotta do it, right?

That's right, Art.  No

That's right, Art. No backing down now. Good luck! Let us know how they fare.

Art - what exactly are you

Art - what exactly are you doing when you glue your shoe halves together? What you should be doing is applying a thin but complete coating of glue to each surface and allowing them to dry for quite a while first - from five minutes to overnight depending on the glue you're using - and then pressing the pieces together with a LOT of pressure (a rolling pin is a good tool to have handy).

I use "Patex" brand glue, which you probably don't have there, but I know Barge's is the standard for shoe makers in the US, so, if you apply it correctly, you shouldn't be able to tear the pices apart with a crane. Godzilla can't destroy my Huaraches, lol.

There are spatulas made specifically for applying glue, they have serrated edges on them that give you just the right thickness. Ask at the hardware store.

Maybe I'm not using enough

Maybe I'm not using enough pressure. I did give them a good 10-15 minutes to dry this time around, but they are peeling a bit after the half marathon today. I will have to look into one of those spatulas, because I'm really enjoying these huaraches and the only flaw is my own manufacturing disability.

I think the flexible cutting

I think the flexible cutting board is to blame for the glue not sticking well since they have a very smooth surface so food and other stuff won't stick. Maybe try using some coarse grit sand paper to really rough up the cutting board surface before applying the glue to see if that will give some the glue something to grab onto.

Good point Dukester - I've

Good point Dukester - I've made a few 3-ply sandals and used orthopedic rubberised cork between the outer sole (Vibram Trekking) and top (calf's leather). I wasn't really sure what a flexible cutting board is, but I guess it's softened plastic, kind of oily, like cloth with a lot of fabric softener in it. Maybe try a different material? Leather, or something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORK-Rubber-sheet-3mm-A4-size-Ideal-GASKETS-/290478918587?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a1e48bbb

Similar to what I have....

I agree with Dukester about

I agree with Dukester about roughing up the cutting board material with sandpaper...thats what I did. I used the cutting board stuff when I zero dropped my NB MT100's, I cut out the cushioning then used Barge cement to glue the cutting board material onto the back half of each shoe.

I let the Barge cement get tacky for about 30 - 40 minutes before I put the sole back together. I don't run in shoes much but these have about 75 miles trail running on them this year and are holding together fine so far. I also set some heavy books on top of the shoes over nite to help press the shoes together while the glue dried.

This is a tricky mod zero dropping shoes... I don't recommend doing this as its easy to ruin the shoes. I will be making some huaraches later this year and may try the rock guard on them also.

I did actually do a quick bit

I did actually do a quick bit of sandpapering on the cutting board material, but even at the time I think I recognized I was doing a half-a$$ed job of it. Fortunately in this game, there are second chances.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts