Rock in my foot

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
Rock in my foot. Rock in my foot. Lookin' like a fool with a rock in my foot...

I'm not sure when this happened, but I think a really small piece of gravel got lodged in my left foot (on the outside of my arch right by the heel) some time ago. I can feel it occasionally still when I run but I can't see it when I examine my foot. It's not painful, but it feels annoying like when you step on a pebble and can't seem to brush it off the bottom of your foot.

Anyone have any experiences with this stuff? Did your body eventually reject the rock and then the problem was solved? Did you have to go see a podiatrist?

hmm, interesting. Sure it's a

hmm, interesting. Sure it's a rock?? If you can't see it? I have no experience with this but I'd imagine that like a sliver it would come out (if not infected and not a large rock). I don't think it'd hurt to give the doc a call and see what advice he has, or hop on over to the resident doc here at BRS and see what he thinks.

I've not had any lodge deep

I've not had any lodge deep enough I couldn't see them or remove them.

Is it possibly a bone spur? I'd think a rock would be visible and glass would continue to dig and hurt

Sounds like a crumb of glass

Sounds like a crumb of glass to me. I've had the same thing and if the crumb isn't in a place where it gets a lot of pressure, it will only hurt intermittantly and be nearly impossible to see.

I usually poke around with a needle. You will know if you hit it (glass or rock) and it will make a distinctive crunching noise. In the mean time, if you have a good bead on where it is, try removing some of the dead skin just over the area so it can work it's way to the surface more easily.

BFWendyBird wrote:I usually

BFWendyBird said:
I usually poke around with a needle. You will know if you hit it (glass or rock) and it will make a distinctive crunching noise.
I just cringed, got woosy, almost fell out of my chair and wanted to run outside screaming :O
Ya, I am a pain Wimp!

Thanks Wendy!  Although I'll

Thanks Wendy! Although I'll have to find a quiet place to do this alone, otherwise my wife will wonder what weird things I'm doing to my feet now!

I'm not as big of a wimp as Lava
party.png

I just dug a piece of glass

I just dug a piece of glass out of my foot from the 4th's race. I couldn't get to it the first day, wore duct tape on it, then got frustrated with it since it wasn't coming out with the needle and clippers, so I squeezed it, and it popped right out. It was BIG too, which is weird because it didn't feel that big. In fact, it feels like there's a little bit more in there.

I hope it's not glass in my

I hope it's not glass in my case. I'm kind of the ambassador for barefoot running in my friend circle, and I'm always all, "There's no glass on the road to step on guys! Don't be a dumbass!"

Now if it turns out I have glass in my foot I'm the chump.

Well then, you'll need to be

Well then, you'll need to be the chump this time, and when they get injured running in their shoes, they'll get to be the chump.

Besides, who says you have to

Besides, who says you have to tell them? ;-)

I got the rock out last

I got the rock out last night. It was a piece of asphalt from all of the seal coating work going on in my neighborhood. Hopefully that was all that was in there. Thanks guys!

how did you manage that, dare

how did you manage that, dare I ask?? Glad you worked it out of there. And check out my new post in the top forum :shock:

I played Operation with my

I played Operation with my foot. Tweasers, a needle, and some small scissors. Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't stab myself. I won't go into detail so Lava doesn't hurl... :p

lol, operation glad it's out

lol, operation :) glad it's out

something similar happened to

something similar happened to me.

4 weeks ago, beeing barefoot all day long outside, I must have stepped on something.

I noticed later that day in the evening there is a small cut on my sole, it did not hurt so I did not pay any more attention to it.

Two weeks pass, the cut is not healing at all, I start feeling it at every step and of course all the time when running barefoot.

I try to do a foot surgery on my own, needle, tweezers, hobby knife, nothing comes out.

It starts swelling, time to visit urgent care. The doctors says there may be something inside so she cuts it inch deep and finds nothing but a lot of infection.

7 days on antibiotics and a pause on barefoot running.

At a follow up visit the doctor is not happy with the healing process because the infection is not going away. She sends me to xray which is negative = no foreign body in foot.

After a week the swelling goes away, the spot almost heals up. It does not hurt at all but I still have that "stepping on a little rock" sensation in that place and there is still a tiny circular hole in the middle of the injured spot. It is also very hard when I squeeze it.

It feels like there must be something inside but after the wound has been cut open and explored by the doctor and xrays have been done I am totally puzzled.

Not sure what to do next, maybe I will just give it some more time and see what happens.

I can keep running barefoot but at every step I get that "stepping on a little rock" sensation in that place.

Weird :puzzled:

Anyone ever had a similar case ?

Daniel

Para, that's not good.  Sorry

Para, that's not good. Sorry about that. Let's hope it starts to get better.

Long live the body's

Long live the body's self-healing power !!

It took 2 more weeks and the cause of my troubles finally surfaced :)

It was just a very small piece of gravel, it must have been encapsulated inside and one day after a long time in a pool the skin on my sole was so soft that after squeezing the spot I was able to push it out.

I can run again without any foreign body sensation and it feels great !!

Still puzzled by the fact the doctor could not see it when digging inside but whatever. :)

That's incredible.  Glad it's

That's incredible. Glad it's gone though.

paraganek wrote:It was just a

paraganek said:
It was just a very small piece of gravel, it must have been encapsulated inside and one day after a long time in a pool the skin on my sole was so soft that after squeezing the spot I was able to push it out.

I was going to say, soaking and moisturizing are the best tricks we know. We used to get stuff out of our kids' feet that way. It's painless and amazingly effective. Plus, you can combine it with your daily magnesium supplement if you soak your feet in hot water with epsom salt.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts