Recovering from a broken ankle.

Biccbacc

Barefooters
Aug 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the long post. If you dont want to read the whole introduction to see what its about: I need help with exercises to get stronger and more flexibility in my ankle - the problem propably comes from a broken ankle 3 years ago.

The whole story:

I started running, and running barefoot/ minimalist 14 months ago. Before that I had a few runs a few times each year, but nothing serious. I am very fit form other sports. The reason i almost never ran before was due to uncomfort in the back and in my knees.

When I heard about painfree running without shoes - i had to try, and loved it. What a great feeling.

I had some miner startup problems (TMTS). TOFP, strained a ligament on the outside of the heel, blisters etc. But then I thought everything was ok, and I started running longer. 3 - 6 miles for each run, 2 times a week. The running was 50% barefoot and 50% minimalist (Vivo barefoot). Norway has a pretty tough climate, and its difficult to do all my running bf.

After a few weeks I started to feel pain in my calves. It was hard to define the exact location, but it felt like a burning in the muscles/ ligaments on the inside of the calf, 1/3 down from the knee. And the same feeling - but stronger, on the outside of the calf 1/3 up from the ankle. The pain got stronger when running, then weaker during the run. a few hours afterward it would be at its worst. I paid a visit to a physica therapist and i found that my left ankle - where the problem is - was not as flexible as the right one. It was also impossible for him to get a "snap" sound when pulling the ankle joint of the left foot. If I sit on the floor with stretched legs and try to point my toes at my face - its clear that the left one is not as flexible.

After some rest with no running, regular massasje at the PT and some stretching. the pain went away. Then Winter came and I took a few months off from running ( i dont like running in snow, and I am not a big fan of thredmills). I did continue irregular exercises for my feet, for both strength, balance and flexibility, as well as other sports. When Spring was approchiing I startet very carefully on the threadmill and then moved outdoor as soon as the weather allowed. Everything felt fine and I was taking it slow and easy.

Now I can feel the pain coming back, and I am really worried that itll never go away if I continue running. Its still not as bad as it was, so I am still doing very short weekly runs. I try to walk bf as much as i can, and I try to stretch. But the pain is not going away.

The most logical reason for this problem is an ankle-fracture i had 3 years ago. I had a cast on for three weeks, and while i did try to do exercises to regain flexibility afterwards, I now fear that I did not do enough.

As I want to keep running, I am very open to suggestions. My plan is to set up an exerciseplan for strenght, flexibility and balance. But I need help with wich exercises to do, and how often. And should i keep running even if it hurts? Today i do:

ankle-rolls (sitting with raised feet and rotating ankles cw and ccw)

toe- raises (standing on my toes in a stair and lifting my bodyweight)

balancing on a balance-flatlball- thingy.

squats on a balanceboard

regular squats

lunges

calf- stretches.

Please, do anyone have any suggestions?

BR

Armas

check out

check out http//yelling-stop.blogspot.com. the guy put a video up of his little girl teaching him ankle strangthening exercises she learned in her dance class. i don't have the exact link since i'm not that internet savy. i do it almost everday and have increased strength and flexibility.

its a toe raise with one leg in the air and then come down flat and bend your knee towards the ground. do it next to a wall if you need to hold onto to something for balance. one leg at a time just basically toe raise then a dip. see the video for a demonstration.

good luck,

Mike

Welcome, Biccbacc!

Welcome, Biccbacc!

Hi Migangelo.And Thank you

Hi Migangelo.

And Thank you Barefoot TJ :)

That page had a lot of blogposts, i tried to do a search but couldnt find it. Do you remember when the video was posted?

Biccbacc

no sorry i don't. just get

no sorry i don't. just get next to a wall then or counter. lift one leg in the air. do some dips on the other leg without holding the on to anything. do one dip then a toe raise. do one leg then switch to the other. i hope i explained it a bit better this time. it does help quite a bit.

Mike

Indeed, welcome! Great to

Indeed, welcome! Great to have another Norwegian runner on the forum. I do all my running BF.

Ok, migangelo. I found a

Ok, migangelo. I found a similar exercize on youtube. Thank you for the tip.

That exercize, combined with others and slow progress on the running seems to be working well. No pain so far the last weeks. Hopefully I can run my first half marathon this fall. 8k seems ok so far.

And thank you Nyal. Hvor i Norge løper du? Og hvor lange turer klarer du ute på vinteren?

Biccbacc

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7