Recommend a Nutritional Education....book

clawhammer72

Barefooters
Aug 5, 2012
Fullerton, CA
I know I'm probably calling down the raging winds from all directions....but, I'm already lost in the fog, so what's a little breeze?

What book changed your life/thinking about food and nutrition?

My main goal is to improve the nutrition of my own diet, as well as that of my family. We are already careful, but I really lack knowledge on the subject. We generally avoid high glycemic foods, preferring whole grains, fruits and veggies, and good quality meat and dairy.

I also want to lose weight...like 70lbs of it.

I've read Gary Taubes "Why we get Fat" and I really liked it. But, I'm interested in alternative/contradictory/supporting viewpoints.

I guess my main educational goal is to get some solid information under my belt in order to help see through all the mass of contradictory messages that are confusing me.

i think the first book that i read that opened my eyes may have been called "never get sick again". it was written by a chemist who got really sick and nearly died while in the hospital. the dr's couldn't help him. i don't remember how he was able to get better but he did and went on to help people and write a book.

i don't do any dairy. milk is for babies and milk from a cow is for cows. i eat rice but no other grains right now. i may add in corn and beans. hard to deny that major food group to the mexican side. i eat little red meat and lots more fruits, veggies, and nuts.

Not a book, but http://gokaleo.com/ is good to read before drinking the diet guru 'kool aid.' She makes a good point about how the best foods to eat in say, Ohio are not practical somewhere else. She is pro local, sustainable, healthy whole foods.

Also, there are several online food logs that give feedback on how you did with fat, protein, calcium, iron, sodium, ...goals. That way you can make small changes and improve a little at a time. It worked for me to lose 60 pounds. (Female, almost 40, 182 to 122, 5' 6" and not afraid to post that.)

Reactions: migangelo
There are many theories but no real 'truth' in regards to nutrition. There are studies to support any theory even if they are polar opposites. The problem is that everything is studied in isolation but the human organism works synergistically as a whole.

Eat as natural as possibles(even that has some conflict around what is natural). Rest, sunlight, fresh air, exercise and limiting stress are important.

I like to read on the subject just to ponder ideas, mainly for entertainment. Prepare to brace yourself for the paleo crowd.

Not a book, but http://gokaleo.com/ is good to read before drinking the diet guru 'kool aid.' She makes a good point about how the best foods to eat in say, Ohio are not practical somewhere else. She is pro local, sustainable, healthy whole foods.

Just did a little browsing and the site looks really good. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for -- perspective. Thanks!

Many good suggestions above, and I would second the recommendation for reading Eric Schlosser. I just finished Wheat Belly by William Davis, which was very short and to-the-point. Also reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, which is a little longer and more in-depth but very readable. For an older but very broad and somewhat philosophical perspective, I would recommend The Unsettling of America by Wendell Berry.

I just read Gary Taubes "Why we get fat." Anything significantly different in "Good Calories, Bad Calories?"
The other book recommends are solid. I've read Chew on This. And I've read enough Wendell Berry to know that anything he writes will haunt you.

I just read Gary Taubes "Why we get fat." Anything significantly different in "Good Calories, Bad Calories?"
The other book recommends are solid. I've read Chew on This. And I've read enough Wendell Berry to know that anything he writes will haunt you.

I haven't read Why We Get Fat. Looks like it was published after Good Calories, Bad Calories, so it may be an elaboration/continuation of similar themes on various diet-health-obesity issues.

For me, i switched to whole foods, no dairy, wild salmon (when i can afford it) and grilled chicken. I don't really eat grains at all.
I generally aim for a lot of color variation in the fruit and veg i eat, as different colors contain different nutrients. I eat a small handful of almonds and walnuts each day, but if you're trying to loose weight watch the quantity.
I'll treat myself to the occasional dark chocolate, the good stuff 70% cocoa.
Just remember, even if you're eating healthily, you can still pile on the pounds if you eat more calories than you burn off each day, some healthy foods can be loaded with calories, so always check.
Don't neglect the healthy fats, else you'll be constantly hungry and end up snacking.
Green tea is a good antioxidant and can give a slight boost your metabolism, as can hot things like chillies.

Ultrametabolism by Mark Hyman. It basically talks about how you can reset your health by eating whole, natural foods. Now I definitely avoid anything with an ingredient I can't pronounce in the ingredient list.
+100 Just finished reading the first part of the book. After reading around, Hyman certainly seems to have the big picture nailed. What I like best is that he is able to explain the benefits and drawbacks of all the major diet/nutrition paradigms. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Sid
Having flipped through Ultrametabolism, it appears to have a lot of pseudoscience and half-truths.

When I was trying to assemble the "ideal diet", I read and thought a lot about the different diets (and level of activity) of various cultures around the world, French, Mediterranean, Okinawan, Inuit, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, low-carb, low-fat, high-protein, dairy, non-dairy, fish, soy, etc. I can't say that I was impressed with any correlation between what people eat vs. their level of health (other than avoiding fast/junk food or eating in excess). I can't say what's right for you, but personally I tried to take bits and pieces of what I thought was useful.

The diet that helped me lose 70+ pounds is quite different from the diet that I'm using to keep it off. Just as in running, I had to listen to my body to see what it needed, as it was changing over time. I'm fairly certain that what worked for me, won't work for you. This makes sense, though.As a teacher, I assume that you're able to look through all the data and pick out what parts apply to you through trial and error.

I have a friend who is a doctor that has gotten the special metabolic labs, dna testing, and is into the pseudoscience. He's a great guy, but still overweight, doesn't exercise much, and has a high stress life. I don't need special tests to know that I'm living a healthier lifestyle.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7