Question regarding trigger points

I was recently diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis. My doc really didn't tell me much and so I've been reading up on what to do on my own and I have read to find the trigger points in the calf and put pressure or rub them till they work out. How do you know if you found a trigger point? I've read that you should have tender spots, but I don't. Am I not putting enough pressure when feeling around? Am I deformed? I watched sock docs videos on PF and AT and I still can't find these stupid trigger points even with him showing me where to look. I made my calf sore and painful searching around for these trigger points. I've noticed there seems to be a lot of heel injuries lately on here and maybe I'm not the only one having a hard time finding these trigger points and this could be useful for others too. Thanks!

Hi Nick,I'd be interested to

Hi Nick,

I'd be interested to know what led to the diagnosis of tendonitis and PF, did you go in and ask the doc about a problem? you can usually tell if you have Achilles tendonitis as it is sore when you rub up and down the length. I used to get it quite bad years ago due to my running style and to a lesser extend when I transitioned out of big bouncy runners to barefoot.

There are a few exercises that help the Achilles, reverese calf drops are what I found to be the best. Find a nice step then standing with heels over the edge, take your weight on the good leg and lift up then transfer the weight to the bad leg and slowly go down in a controlled manner until the calf is stretched, then repeat. You have to do 3 sets of 15 each day. It usually clears up the tendon problem in around 3 weeks.

As for the PF you could try this exercise I think this is very good advice and have used it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZVq3ov914

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil, I had been having

Hi Neil, I had been having problems for a little over a month or so with a heel pain that would get worse after a hard run (not necessarily long runs but just hard run) or fast runs. I had taken a break from running over the holidays for a week and the pain seemed to clear up so I started running again. The first two long runs I did I was fine, but then then the run where I pushed myself for half that distance after that caused it to flare up so bad I could barely walk. After a week of rest and still barely being able to walk I went to the dr and he diagnosed it as AT and PF. Now, I am still trying to figure out how to get this leg better because so far, it's barely gotten better and all I do is sit around the house with my feet elevated or go to school a couple nights a week. Seems I will have one good day and then the very next day for what ever reason it gets worse when I haven't done anything different. Anyhow, I am trying to see if finding the trigger points will help because rest sure doesn't seem to be and not sure what else to do. I don't have much stress and I've changed my diet to a healthier diet in the last month and yet this pain still persists.

Yes, Nick/BFS, I am sorry to

Yes, Nick/BFS, I am sorry to break it to you, but...you ARE deformed.
wink.png

I have been practicing Trigger Point Therapy on myself and my husband for a couple years now. It took time, patience, and practice to learn how to do it.

I can show you how to find them, and how to "squish" them (which differs to some extent depending on the particular muscle and location) Even if that is not the cause of your heel pain, you will be surprised to find you have a handful of trigger points causing various pain in various body parts at any given time.

I have a Trigger Point Therapy book I will lend you as well as a Trigger Point Cane and Knobber. Two of these three things are probably gathering dust on Mike's desk as we speak.

BTW - I got a bad-ass trigger point out of Mike's..."cheek" the other week (hey I rhymed).
bigsmile.png

I LOVE working on other people. I HATE pain and want to slay it!

i'm glad she wasn't around

i'm glad she wasn't around after all the knots i got from our sunday run. damn shoes. worked them out with a couple of long slow bf runs.

she was quite helpful with that knot in my cheek. i didn't even know it was there. yes, i do use that pervert's candy cane on my back almost everyday. thank you. i just don't read the book or haven't yet. outa sight outa mind.

Janson - sign me up!  If you

Janson - sign me up! If you have time after the run next weekend, I totally would do it! Serious.

Oh Michael...at least I don't

Oh Michael...at least I don't LAUGH when I'm getting my butt massaged...
tongue.png

In case some of you are wondering what the hell a trigger point (candy) cane really looks like, here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Massager-Self-massage-Strategically-Projections-Treatment/dp/B0046OXIKK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1327690603&sr=8-8

I told Mike that I may, or may not, have used it as directed -AFTER he used it of course.
evil.png
) >-) :evil:" width="19" />

Here is the Trigger Point Book I use too.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Workbook-Pressure-Positive-Company/dp/B00120ZMK0/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327691128&sr=1-6

Which, BTW, you should actually READ the diagrams, cuz they will show you where the pain is and then show you what trigger points are causing it -AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART- the trigger points are usually NOT where the pain IS. Which is why you need to follow the diagrams. Otherwise you are "wasting" a lot of time and you are really just massaging sore muscles and not releasing trigger points. Not that that is necessarily bad, but it is an inefficient use of the perverse candy cane.
bigsmile.png

People rarely notice the butt cheek trigger points are causing them grief, but a lot of people have those trigger points, especially if they run, and trails in particular. It's actually primarily in the gluteus minimus -which ironically is also the same one that can cause calf pain.

Well, that IS why you named

Well, that IS why you named be BFP, right Nick???
shock.png

Oh my gosh!  They've gotten

Oh my gosh! They've gotten to Jen too! Release your hold on her, you swine!

That right there is a torture device!

Ok...so I'm just going to

Ok...so I'm just going to type this as if I was talking to you guys if you were a patient in my office - so I'm not going to look up any official definition of a trigger point or anything like that. So a trigger point is going to feel like there is something tight and out of place in the muscle. We sorta call it a "bundle" - there's some inflammation in there and the muscle fibers are not all uniformly going in the right direction. You may have lots of sore muscles but that doesn't mean there's necessarily a trigger point in there. I'm sure that's confusing, but I don't know a better way to say it. Often if you're on the correct trigger point the pain where you're hurting will greatly diminish or even go away. *Remember, I never advocate actually treating the exact area where you have pain. So if you have heel pain you should not be treating that pain directly but working on the muscle such as the tib posterior or the calf muscles. - These I show in the video.

Now, you may not even have a trigger point that needs to be treated. You see, trigger points occur from muscle imbalances and those muscle imbalances are a reflection of some problem somewhere else in the body. So if you're overtraining, for example, then you're going to have a weakness in the posterior tibialis muscle leading perhaps to PF. This may or may not create a trigger point in the muscle. If it did, and you eventually resolve the overtraining issue, then you will have to work out the trigger point to fix the PF. But if there's no trigger point and you resolve the overtraining then your PF will go away then.

Same would be true if you were wearing the wrong type of shoe. The muscle imbalance may create a trigger point that needs to be corrected even after you're in new/correct shoes. Sometimes they go away on their own, sometimes not.

In a nutshell, that's how it all works.. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that explanation! 

Thanks for that explanation! :)

I have found that when looking for random trigger points on my husband (just seeing what I can find without use of the diagrams), that if I run my hands along the corresponding muscle on the opposite side (for example, I will run my hands along both the right and left bicep simultaneously), I can feel aberrations more easily. It's difficult to tell what is "out of place" in a muscle, if you aren't sure what it's supposed to feel like to begin with. When I feel the corresponding muscles on both sides, it gives me somewhat of a reference point.

TJ, we didn't have a hold on

TJ, we didn't have a hold on her. she was locked away until recently so she had to entertain herself somehow. i tried calling for them to take her back and they just laughed so i hung up.