Possible that running shod has improved my form?

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Bear with me..this is not a joke. And, yes, I'm still around:)

As many know I've spent the past few months fighting with a foot injury. Ultimately I gave in and went back to shoes. The "bad" kind. Well, yesterday I was feeling saucy and laced up the huaraches to go for a short run; then, feeling even saucier-er I took off the sandals for about the last 1/3 mile and ran nekkid footed. I could tell my form was better than it had been in quite some time. Things I have considered:

a. I went to a form clinic (Good Form Running) at the local running shop a few weeks back and got some good, tangible feedback and tips about form.

b. I've been so worried about injury (the old shod-related ones from the old days) that I have been crazy vigilant about form, stride length, midfoot/whole foot strike while running in the shoes.

I think this has kept from form complacency and made me a better runner. The weather is gettign better, finally, in my corner of the world and my foot is feeling consistently better; so, I think I see more barefoot or huarache miles in my near future. I'm hesitant to ever make bold proclamations anymore, but I am optimistic...

Run on...

Awesome Lomad! Keep it up man. I am a little over two weeks now of not running. :( My heel is still bothering me a bit. It has started to feel a little better but I think I am just going to ride this out and wait till it's healed. Glad to see you are still running and are improving your form!

I don't care what you wear or don't wear on your feet. I am just glad you are back...and running. Missed you!

I'm still running TJ; and I hadn't left:) I've been lurking a bit as I have no time at all lately. I'm student teaching right now, finishing up my Master's in Teaching. I am up to my eyes in lesson plans, research projects and other assorted "evidence gathering" as they like to say.

I've got to get a follow up with the podiatrist, though, because the time on my feet has given me even more idea that my issue is nerve related. I have to wear "appropriate attire" while in the field (read business casual at least) and I don't have any truly minimal shoes appropriate for the workplace. I did find a pair of Skechers casual shoes that are wide and reasonably flat, I'd guess 4-6 mm drop, but can't afford to get anything else. Certain shoes cause the pain to flare up awfully. I can get it to fade quickly barefoot or in huaraches, or interestingly enough in the trainers I have been running in. My knees on the other hand haven't loved the trainers so much...

Thanks for the feedback to the rest of you!