Possible PF

Hi again Docs,

I have been experiencing some slight pain in the back of my heel and ever so slightly in my arch for about a month now. It's fine when I am running but when I stop and am inactive it hurts like he**. I had a race on Sunday and I was fine during but afterwards, maybe a couple hours, I had a significant amount of pain in the heel. The next morning I couldn't stand on my foot for a couple minutes till it loosened up. It's only in the last week and a half or so gotten much worse. I've never had PF before and I'm just curious what I do to heal it? Thanks and if it's something you think I should go in to see a doc for then let me know and I'll do that to. I just don't trust the opinions of docs who are not barefoot friendly much. Thanks!

Im no doctoe, and Ive never

Im no doctoe, and Ive never played one on TV either. I think** most people who suffer from PF wilk Ice the bottoms of the foot, and then roll it out either on a tennis ball or a can of green beans. Make sure its organic green beans though. And not corn, as its just a starch...

Good luck!

**By think Im really saying I have no idea, but I might have read it somewhere before... Maybe...

Thanks Dr Mark!  That was a

Thanks Dr Mark! That was a great article. Is it ok to run on it or is rest something that's needed as well? It seems to be fine on slow runs but anytime I speed up it seems to flare up really bad after the run.

Dr. Mark's advice is

Dr. Mark's advice is excellent and it worked for me. I've had PF for a little while now and I'm finally back to running again and if feels good.

The only weird thing is that the calcaneus bone seems to stick out further on my PF side so much so that my wife can see the difference and has mentioned it when she walks behind me. I don't know if this is normal for PF.

-Jim

Nick,Go sloooooow. you get

Nick,

Go sloooooow. you get faster and stronger with slow running. tissues adapt is a safe and progressive way. let pain be the guide.

Mark

Sounds good.  Thanks Dr Mark!

Sounds good. Thanks Dr Mark! I am also going to start throwing in some biking and weight training as well to give the area a little rest. Thanks again and I really appreciate all of you docs on here a lot!

So an update, I ran yesterday

So an update, I ran yesterday for the first time in a week and felt pretty good. I ran 4.25 miles at a super slow 14 min/mile pace. 3 miles in the arch in my right foot, the foot that's been acting up, starting hurting but then I realized I was tensing up due to it getting dark on my run. I don't run at night ever so I subconsiously was tensing up for the unknown objects that I may step on. Once I realized what I was doing I relaxed and my arch started feeling better pretty quick. Today I woke up and have no more pain than I did yesterday morning in my heel or arch, so I think I will be ok as long as I keep everything slow right now.

I am confused a little, I did some research online and there seems to be conflicting information on how to treat pf. I saw a lot of sites that recommend stretching to help and I saw just a couple that say no to stretching. Do I stretch or not stretch? I myself do not stretch anymore but do slow gradual warmups and cooldowns instead. I really don't want to start stretching again if I don't have to, but I will I guess if that will really help. Any ideas?

Nick, i flared my pf up big

Nick,

i flared my pf up big time running with the two big boys yesterday. even though they slowed down for me, they still pushed me to go a bit faster than i wanted to. funny, it was slower than race pace. anyway i couldn't get settled into good form and my fascia is so inflamed you can see it. it's like my foot is carrying a balloon. ok, a bit dramatic but it is visible.

i iced it over a frozen water ball and then rolled it over a rubber ball i have. remember to go do those calf raises on your stairs and leg balancing. it will help and stretch it out while your working it. just do it slow so it warms up.

That sucks Mike.  Let me know

That sucks Mike. Let me know Monday then if you need to take it off and can't run. I have been doing the calf raises, forgot to mention that as well. I found out I really do not like running at night yesterday, when I left it was light out and I thought I had plenty of time, but at this slow pace and then me extending my run a little bit it got dark. Running through the park sucks at night as all the walkers have these big a** dogs that I kept "sneaking" up on and startling them into attack mode. Then when on the way back up the hill along the road the cars lights threw shadows over the whole sidewalk so it was like running without seeing your feet or where your stepping at all. Made me really tense up and cause my arch in my foot to cramp up. Once I started loosening back up that went away pretty quickly though. I also stubbed my toe for the first time on the sidewalk because I couldn't see that a section was slightly raised, ouch.

oh, that's why i lift my

oh, that's why i lift my toes. i should be fine by monday. foot's already feeling better than this morning. now if i can just get up to do some pilates or something. i drank a bit much last night. c'est la vie.

Check out Dr. Gangemi's (Sock

Check out Dr. Gangemi's (Sock Doc's) article on the home page called Stop Stretching, or search for it. It will give you more to think about, for sure. I believe in massaging over stretching for injuries. I think stretching an injury, like the Sock Doc says, will just piss it off more. It's trying to heal, and all you're doing by stretching is tearing the fibers apart.

TJ, see I completely agree

TJ, see I completely agree with you and the sock doc, but I came across so many articles that said otherwise so I got confused about it. Thanks TJ!

christmas parties = amateur

christmas parties = amateur hour. love em.

i then went for some terrible late night mexican food that's been doing a number on me. i guess it was the salsa.

We had appetizers at the

We had appetizers at the Christmas party that are doing a number on me... I hate when there is that much good (bad) food staring me in the face. I just can't help myself. My love affair with food
puzzled.png

SD:As I clicked your link to

SD:

As I clicked your link to the anti-stretching shirt I thought "Wow - that's specialized. I wonder how he'll convey succinctly to not stretch?"

On rare occasions do I literally laugh out loud when I'm sitting in a room by myself reading something on my computer. Seeing your t-shirt is one of those things, however, that made me do that.

Very creative and funny.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Jim!

SD,I agree with Jim, that is

SD,

I agree with Jim, that is a cool shirt. I can't imagine the comments.

On your video for PF, you say something like, don't rub your heel if it hurts because that will aggravate it more.

Does that mean that when you are doing the tennis ball or rolling pin thing that you should only be going over your arch and avoiding your heel? I was never clear on that one.

-Jim

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon