Nike Jumps Into Barefoot Running With a New Knit Shoe

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Nike Jumps Into Barefoot Running, With a New Knit Shoe
Wired
But while you might think it would concern Nike to be whittling away their shoes to nothing–you could see the Hyperfeel as a gateway drug to total barefoot running–these and the other Flyknit kicks represent a design coup for the company in a few ...

I hate to say it, but if Nike gets rid of the narrow last of their shoes, I might even try to wear these...when I HAVE to wear shoes that is. Yikes! Did I just say that?! Me?! Running Nike Free 0.0?!

Reactions: Robin and Sid
Exactly! Even Nike, who has tried and tried and failed and failed, still wants to jump on our "bandwagon!"

What I take from all this is that they have publicly announced, with the Frees and now these, that their previous designs were and are superfluous. Ha! Welcome, Nike!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superfluous

Definition of SUPERFLUOUS
a : exceeding what is sufficient or necessary : extra

b : not needed : unnecessary
obsolete : marked by wastefulness : extravagant
su·per·flu·ous·ly adverb
su·per·flu·ous·ness noun

vlcsnap-000281.jpg

$175
gulp

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I totally agree, you guys. But now that I am among those whose feet have been permanently damaged by shoes and surgery to "correct" that damage, there are times when I HAVE to wear shoes to protect my nerves and prevent my feeling MORE pain; running, for one, if I ever can again. We'll see. Still healing though. Shame a good pair of shoes has to cost so damn much!

there's an ad posted by Nike for real runners to go do a photo shoot in central Oregon. pays $500 a day. think if i tell them i'm a bf runner they'll pick me? doubt i'd get paid if i can't wear the shoes.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and Sid
They just came out, so I think that the jury is still out on whether or not they are good shoes. But I get your drift.
I wasn't necessarily calling these shoes good; I was talking about a lot of the good minshoes out there. They're pricey. But hey, they can charge whatever they want. :greedy:

Reactions: Sid
Ironically, the Nike aqua socks they had out 25 years ago were very similar. As far as I know, they don't make them any more. I had a pair in high school that were actually the current trendy color of lime green. Turns out they were actually an almost perfect shoe!

I have mixed feelings about this thread. Having lived in Eugene for four years and benefiting directly from the generosity of Nike, I feel inclined to defend "Uncle Phil." I disagree with the comment that Nike is jumping on a "bandwagon." Bill Bowerman himself was a huge fan of less is more for his athletes. In 2000 designers from Nike asked the coach at the U of O why he had his runners run barefoot a couple of days a week. His answer was that he felt "they had less injuries" with barefoot running.
They went back to Beaverton and started designing the Nike Free at that time. Long before Born to Run was even conceived.

Having said that I also have to ask why minimalist shoes are twice as expensive as crash pad shoes? I also agree with why spend money on shoes that give you a barefoot feel when you can do it for free. I've never spent a cold winter unshod so if it gets too cold, I might try a pair of Hyperfeels.

They say the release date is this fall or early winter. I have an inside source, however, that says not until next April.

Reactions: NickW
I find it contradictory that Bowerman supported less while adding more to the running shoe. A man of contradictions, I would say.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts