Nike and the U.S Military speak out

I'm going to see him in

I'm going to see him in September at our local running store. I want him to autograph my BTR book...and my foot....and maybe even my baby (not that my wife will let me bring her to a book signing).

I love how half of the reader

I love how half of the reader responses on the NY Times articles refer to barefoot or minimalist running. A ton of people mentioned Vibrams.

I just saw an article in the Readers Digest today that talked about the Rush Medical College in Chicago study about stress on the knee possibly being caused (or at least exaggerated) by shoes.

The researchers said to try a flat shoe if you are experiencing knee pain. Of course, in the next sentence they recommend an insert if you need arch support. At least they're starting out in the right direction, I guess......

Thanks for the links - I love reading stuff like this.

As much as I love my Vibrams,

As much as I love my Vibrams, I do think they need to be stressed as a "supplement" to barefoot running, not a "substitution" for shoes.

I think that's what a lot of people think of them as, and it's hard to convince them otherwise. Something about running barefoot on pavement scares people (I don't get it).

ConclusionThe findings of

Conclusion

The findings of this study suggest that our current approach of prescribing in-shoe pronation control systems on the basis of foot type is overly simplistic and potentially injurious.

This is a very powerful statement. I mean think about it. Who is doing the "prescribing?" Running shoe store clerks making minimum wage are; that's who. And how many people are being prescribed footwear from a store clerk? Tons. It's utter malpractice, it's a proven recipe for disaster, and they are getting away with it. I mean if you want to put your health in the hands of a minimum wage store clerk with a gait analysis machine, go right ahead.

i actually had a talk with

i actually had a talk with the guys at the running store a few weeks ago about this. they are big supporters of minimal/barefoot running but they still have people take their shoes off to see how they walk and then pick a shoe based on that. i asked why they had people walk barefoot to decide that and he said "so we can see how the foot and ankle are moving to pick the shoe that's right for their form".

I then posed this thought "wouldn't it make more sense to put them in a neutral shoe to see how their form is in a shoe? the form for bare feet and shoes is completely different so it would seem you could be putting people in shoes that are completely wrong because of that"

his answer "that makes a lot of sense and we should probably be doing that"

wow! the logic behind this whole gait assessment set up is extremely weak and way off. so much so that even the people doing it can instantly have their minds changed.

Yeah, there isn't much logic

Yeah, there isn't much logic behind gait analysis. It seems to center around the idea that feet should not move which in itself is ridiculous. I don't think we should blame the store clerks though, they're only doing what they've been taught. Also, I have a feeling that they've only been told the how of it, as in how to tell which kind of shoe supposedly fits, and not why it fits. I think this is why it's so easy to change their minds when you present a simple logical argument...

Before I'd started looking

Before I'd started looking into barefoot running, I was having some mild knee issues. I thought maybe I had the wrong shoes, so I went to our local specialty running store. To the guy's credit, he told me my shoes were the right ones for my feet and I didn't need new ones yet. (Of course, all this was based on faulty premises, but at least he wasn't just trying to sell me something!)

Anyway, I posted about all that on Daily Mile, explaining that I was wearing Asics 2140s I'd gotten on Amazon. I got this comment from a stranger:

"Hi Beth. I actually work for a running store in Florida and we do the gait and fitting process. It is great that you went and was checked out. I would suggest that you watch out about buying shoes online because they have a shelf life just like can foods. The Asics 2140 is last seasons model and which they are on the 2150 now and they are about to do another change in October. So the 200 miles that you have on your shoes, is really like have 600 to 800 miles. Running shoes are designed to break down like that."

I was floored. I couldn't believe this lady had gotten training at a running store that taught her that shoes that have sat on the shelf for a year have "broken down" at the same pace as shoes that have been run in for that time. My husband and I got a good laugh out of it, but it also made me mad. Talk about telling people anything to sell them a shoe!! Let's just say I hope not too many Floridians are going to that running store....

Very interesting C.Beth.  Who

Very interesting C.Beth. Who knew that my old Mizunos (which are now my lawn mowing shoes) were disintigrating in my garage before my very eyes! I hope they don't just fall off my feet one day! What a crock!

It makes perfect sense when

It makes perfect sense when you think about it. How else can they explain why, after running in shoes for a few hundred miles, someone's knees/shins/ankles/hips/etc start hurting? The only possible explanation is that the shoes must be breaking down. Gee - I guess that means you will just have to buy another new pair.

Speaking of breaking down - have you checked your blinker fluid lately? Your car won't run well without fresh blinker fluid, you know. For a small fee, I will change it out for you. I'll even check your bumper gaskets, free of charge!

Joe

Joe--Wow, what a nice offer

Joe--Wow, what a nice offer to help with my auto maintenance!! Right now I'm in the middle of another big project (providing my bank account info to someone in Nigeria so I can claim lottery winnings) but when I finish up with that I will totally pay you a few bucks to change out my blinker fluid!

I got over 1,000 miles of

I got over 1,000 miles of barefoot running last year. Cost me nothin'!

And how about all the folks

And how about all the folks who buy new shoes and immediately start having problems from running in them? They maybe had a problem with their old shoes. That's why they're here buying a new pair. New pair is no better. They start to think, "It must be me. It must be my feet. I am defective." Nice one shoe industry.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7