New guy in Georgia

AMCJeff

Barefooters
Sep 4, 2011
Hi

I guess I'm much more of a walker than a runner these days, but I've been a runner in the past and I'm trying to get back into it after a period of letting myself go a bit.

I've always hated wearing shoes, but I do it when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise I'm barefoot. I drive to work, put the shoes on before I go in, and they're the first thing off when I leave in the afternoons. I'm *always* barefoot at home, up to and including doing all my yardwork including mowing grass, weedeating, etc. I usually keep some flip-flops handy in my car for going into stores and restaurants where bare feet are looked at with a jaundiced eye.

I'm a car hobbyist as well, so I'm frequently barefoot in my friend's shop while working on the cars, and I sometimes pick up shrapnel from the drill press but my sole pads are thick enough it's not usually a problem--sometimes have to break out the X-acto knife to remove some of it..

I'm easing back into doing some running. There's a local park that I've begun doing some walking/conditioning and yesterday I actually did some running. No problems with the bare feet while running, but I've got to build back up to the aerobic capacity to do it for longer than a mile.

Anyway, just thought I'd join up here with some like-minded people and see what's going on.

Jeff

Auburn, GA

Welcome! Yowsers... I

Welcome! Yowsers... I wouldn't have though somebody could survive in a machining environment barefoot. I've picked up some real nasty stuff in my shoes before while walking through our shop... amazing.

Good to hear you're ready to get back into running. I know it's been a real pleasure for me once I got started. I never imagined I'd enjoy running but I did get hooked quickly.

Lots to read here. Hope you enjoy. Looking forward to 'seeing' you around the site.

Happy Running!

Hi Jeff, please join the

Hi Jeff, please join the Georgia Chapter (link up top) and add yourself to the chapter's map on the chapter's home page. Hope to meet you at one of our upcoming runs soon. Welcome!

Welcome, Jeff.  I just

Welcome, Jeff. I just completed my first X-acto surgery about two weeks ago after picking up something while running. I'm not a doctor, and I've never played one on TV, but it worked for me. Build that aerobic capacity slowly and steadily, say 3-4 times a week, and you'll have no limits, particularly since you've already got the soles and the foot muscles and connecting tissues in shape - you're way ahead of where most of us started. Enjoy!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Hi Jeff,

Barefoot TJ said:
Hi Jeff, please join the Georgia Chapter (link up top) and add yourself to the chapter's map on the chapter's home page. Hope to meet you at one of our upcoming runs soon. Welcome!

Chapter membership applied for!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Hi Jeff,

Barefoot TJ said:

Hi TJ--I just figured out the chapter home page, but how in the world does the map work?

Do you have a Google

Do you have a Google account? If so, you can add yourself by going into the map's link (you'll need to be logged in first), and entering your location/city in the search field. When you hit enter, a blue marker will appear on the map (as long as you have the current version of IE; Firefox might not be a problem--Google Maps have been a bit buggy lately). Locate the option to Save to map/Place the marker on the map, enter the rest of your info, put in your name or member name, click Save, click Done, something like that. Feel free to ask the Chapter Preisent, Thomas Hayes, for help. You'll find his PM and email icons under his profile; you'll find his member link in the Georgia Chaper.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Do you

Barefoot TJ said:
Do you have a Google account? If so, you can add yourself by going into the map's link (you'll need to be logged in first), and entering your location/city in the search field. When you hit enter, a blue marker will appear on the map (as long as you have the current version of IE; Firefox might not be a problem--Google Maps have been a bit buggy lately). Locate the option to Save to map/Place the marker on the map, enter the rest of your info, put in your name or member name, click Save, click Done, something like that. Feel free to ask the Chapter Preisent, Thomas Hayes, for help. You'll find his PM and email icons under his profile; you'll find his member link in the Georgia Chaper.

Um, okay.... I think...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon