New Barefoot Runner from New York...

Plant Based Caveman

Barefooters
Sep 26, 2011
Hello to all,

New to barefoot running. I have a friend who does barefoot running and just participated in the New York City Second Annual Barefoot run this past weekend. He is showing me the ropes and giving me advice on things. Very helpful to have someone that knows the ins and outs.

I ran around the block each day for the last three days (3/10ths mile each day). I was nursing a tender spot on my heel before starting this (plantar fasciitis?) so it was a little bit aggravated by the new activity I'm engaging in. Yesterday I developed a tender spot on my pad under my pinkie toe (same foot). So, I took today off and it feels much better. I've been icing and am using the tennis balls on the bottoms of my feet. I will take tomorrow off too and try again monday without trying to increase anything for a week or two. My friend said to do it every other day instead of every day.

Anyway, I hope I can do this, I really feel that it is for me, but the body has to be willing. I grew up barefoot in a beach community when I was a kid, so it is not too foreign to me. I just hope my body allows me to take it on this journey...

Regards,

Joe

Welcome, Joe!  Glad to have

Welcome, Joe! Glad to have you here.

Ah.... but Joe's in

Ah.... but Joe's in Queens.

I hope he'll join us on some of our regular runs in Central Park but he's already talking about Governor's Island next year!

Welcome again Joe!

Hello to all, sorry for not

Hello to all, sorry for not replying sooner. Seems that I am not set-up to receive e-mails when someone responds to a thread I started. I will have to find out how to change that.

I am going slowwww. I did 3/10ths of a mile three times last week and today I did 1/2 mile. I feel I could have done more but I have been warned to go slowwww. So I don't know what is harder - running barefoot or practicing patience :) .

I definitely will go to the Barfefoot Run next year on Governors Island. I like that you can just do as much as feel like doing, so that will help me not to overdo it to keep up, or to finish a set distance.

Anyway, so far, so good...

Joe

PBC, just go to your profile,

PBC, just go to your profile, click on the Edit tab/link at the top, then scroll down to: (Note there is also a setting for notifications from the chapters you join.)

Messaging and Notifications settings
Default send method: MailPrivate messageWeb Default sending method for getting messages from this system.Default send interval: ImmediatelyEvery hourTwice a dayDailyWeekly Default send interval for subscriptions. Autosubscribe Checking this box allows you to automatically subscribe to any thread you create or post a comment to. Automatically enable notifications for any groups that I join. Group notifications can also be customized in greater detail if required. Automatically enable notifications for any groups that I join. Group notifications can also be customized in greater detail if required. Automatically enable notifications for any groups that I join. Group notifications can also be customized in greater detail if required.

Okay TJ, I think I got it

Okay TJ, I think I got it now. Thanks. It's extremely difficult Phil. I hardly feel the 1/2 mile I did yesterday and one part of my mind is telling me to go out and run again today. But the more responsible part is telling me to wait until tomorrow. So wait I must. It's like having an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other... :)

Okay, I went another 1/2 mile

Okay, I went another 1/2 mile today. Very nice. Easy pace. The cool paved gravel felt like it was massaging my feet. Very invigorating. I stopped again after the 1/2 mile. I felt like I could do more. I'll take tomorrow off and run again on Saturday. I am reading Michael Sandlers book Barefoot Running. I'm thinking of incorporating some of the exercises in his book for my days off. I also cross train a little with dumbells and bodyweight exercises. Does anyone have a favorite exercise they do to condition the feet for this type of running?

The Ask the Docs guys would

The Ask the Docs guys would have a list of foot exercises for you if you don't hear from anyone here. Strengthening your feet is a very wise thing to do.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon