Never Healing Ankle

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Back in June, I had a very bad race and basically rolled onto my ankle and slid on it down the side of a rocky hill for around 10 feet. I tried to just lower my miles and then ran a 50K on it, but it definitely slowed me down there. I took about 6 weeks off and did Insanity during that time, then tried to come back and run a marathon, which I DNF'd.

I decided after that to take 4 weeks off of running, and 2 weeks in to start ankle rehab, which is basically standing on an inflated disk, rolling, stretching, and doing band work. I also am not doing any impact work. I am doing a ton of body weight workouts and the slower Insanity workouts that don't have jumps.

I have had 2 x-rays and nothing is broken. I can walk on it fine, but running hurts pretty bad, especially when I push off. I have done airrosti and all of this rehab before... It seems I can land midfoot okay, but can't go very fast that way.

Has anyone had experience with this type of injury or success dealing with it? Or any advice at all?

Oh, and sorry if the links are annoying... just thought it would help make a long story short.

I would suggest seeing a sports chiropractor. It is quite likely the pain is either due to improper motion in the bones of the ankle and a sports chiropractor who has learned extremity manipulation can figure this out and address it. Also, someone who is good with fascial release can also likely find any soft tissue adhesions left over from when the ankle healed up.