Natural Barefoot Running Heel Strikers

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
"The Daasanach people grow up without shoes and continue to spend most of their lives barefoot," Kevin Hatala, a graduate research in Hominid Paleobiology at George Washington University and co-author on the new paper, said in a prepared statement.
Nevertheless, these people, it seems, land farther back on the foot when they run.
"We were surprised to see that the majority of Daasanach people ran by landing on their heels first," Hatala noted. "This contradicts the hypothesis that a forefoot strike characterizes the 'typical' running gait of habitually barefoot people."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/barefoot-running-style-foot-feet_n_2447987.html

I have no doubts of the study. However, I find the following points interesting:

There is no video tape of them... Only "pressure pad" sensors.
This tribe (Daasanach) was tested on hard packed sand
The Kalenjin (the other 'forefoot' tribe) typically runs farther
The Kalenjin (the other 'forefoot' tribe) typically runs faster
The Kalenjin (the other 'forefoot' tribe) typically runs on harder surfaces

I could run all day on the grass or beach with a heel strike... Those are probably the only two surfaces I would do that though.

I've moved this thread to the Studies & Articles About Studies forum with a redirect that will expire in one day.

Thanks T, I'm guilty of using the "new threads" feature and ignoring the various sub-forums available.
To me it's all just one big forum, thanks for keeping it organized.

From the article it's not quite clear if the Daasanach people are a running people (= running as part of culture and education) or just a barefoot people who occasionally run, but normally have no reason to.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Adding to the front page...

Reactions: Bare Lee
If shoe cushioning promotes heel striking, then would it stand to reason that soft natural surfaces may also promote heelstriking? If so, then would heelstriking be considered normal, natural and safe on such surfaces? Perhaps, the tribespeople were running naturally? Perhaps, the body has enough feedback mechanisms to promote whichever landing, form, speed is most ideal for a given surface?

If I enjoy running in sand, should I wear big cushy shoes to simulate sand running on hard surfaces?
If I find sand to be tiring, should I switch from big cushy shoes to minshoes/barefoot, when on hard surfaces?

Can you imagine heel striking on beach sand while running in bulky running shoes? Wouldn't that be like double-heel striking? ;)

Yes, heel striking is natural when we run barefoot on surfaces that promote heel striking; when we are forced to heel strike, then it's not natural. I've always believed this as it only makes common-sense.

Reactions: Sid
Can you imagine heel striking on beach sand while running in bulky running shoes? Wouldn't that be like double-heel striking? ;)
I remember last year I was on a local beach sand trail, and I came across a group of runners who looked like they were taking a class from the local running shoe store. Of course they were all wearing big cushy shoes. I couldn't quite make out what awesome training tips they were being given, but it was a nice day, and I enjoyed the run.

So, here's what I don't understand. If people like cushioning so much, why not just run on natural compliant surfaces? The scenery is much better, and maybe we'd have more green spaces, too.

There's a relatively new half mary on the local trail. I'd like to get in race shape by next year's event. I'd pay just to see the looks on people's faces!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
There are snakes, beasts, mosquitos and monsters in the woods, that's why... Well, seriously, I attended a running group last summer and forest running at slower pace was not nice because of mosquitos, normally I run such pace that they don't bug me or use some anti-mosquito lotion. People generally told that they don't run in the forests because of mosquitos. And the beasts. There seems to be people that run and walk around horse racecourse because it's soft and safe. The amount of wolves has increased a bit (they are still quite rare) and they are not so people shy anymore, no attacks against people yet, but some dogs has been killed and eaten, even from leash...

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7