Most complete explanation of training protocols I've seen yet

Recently Garmin brought a new basic GPS Forerunner model on the market: the FR 10
It costs (and weights) much less than the 210 but has similar features (though it doesn't measure heart rate). I don't own the 210 but the 110 which lacks pace alerts. The 10 has them. The 10 is also quicker to find Satellite than the 110 (and 210 as it seems ) and (this is a real plus) the pace is shown in realtime and not some seconds later as was the problem with all previous forerunner models (even the really expensive ones).

BUT there is a problem with the FR 10 (there always is, isn't it?): Apparently it was conceived as a beginner's watch (it has everything a beginner needs and nothing else); the problem is, the rechargeable batterie inside needs to be recharged after only 4 hours or so (compared to 8 hours for the FR 110). So it can't be used on really long runs. Which means as well: it needs to be charged more often which will tire out the batterie much quicker. The batterie cannot be changed once it is dead - you need to buy another watch when it happens. But this is the same for all other Garmin GPS watches. :mad:

Opps, I just checked, and I guess I have the Garmin 205, not the 210. I'm such a techno turd. I got it for $150 in June. I see it's listed at $400 now on Amazon. If that's the current price, that would make the Garmin 10 an all the more attractive option. I don't ever see running for more than four hours, so battery charge isn't an issue. One question: when I get back from runs, I usually leave my Garmin hooked up to the computer until my next run. Is this bad for the battery? The screen says "battery charging complete," so I assume it has stopped trying to charge.

I have the Garmin 305 and love it, although now a days I could really care less about the heartrate function and I never wear the heartrate strap anymore. I do like the adjust-ability of it for what information I have on the screen. You can show up to 4 different things on the screen at one time, such as time of day, heart rate, avg pace, and distance or you could set it up to show a number of other options that are important to you. I hate trying to fiddle with a button while running so that I can see my pace or distance or time. Irritates the crap out of me actually because it almost never fails that I have to slow down (this messes up the pace counter) or I end up not hitting the button hard enough or I accidentally hit it too many times. I really like just being able to casually glance at it and see everything I need to see at one time without having to take my eyes off whats on the ground in front of me. Your soles might appreciate that too.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I have the Garmin 305 and love it, although now a days I could really care less about the heartrate function and I never wear the heartrate strap anymore. I do like the adjust-ability of it for what information I have on the screen. You can show up to 4 different things on the screen at one time, such as time of day, heart rate, avg pace, and distance or you could set it up to show a number of other options that are important to you. I hate trying to fiddle with a button while running so that I can see my pace or distance or time. Irritates the crap out of me actually because it almost never fails that I have to slow down (this messes up the pace counter) or I end up not hitting the button hard enough or I accidentally hit it too many times. I really like just being able to casually glance at it and see everything I need to see at one time without having to take my eyes off whats on the ground in front of me. Your soles might appreciate that too.
I agree, the Garmin 205 is sweet in its usability. I also like having a four-data display--pace, distance, total time, and time-of-day. And I like having the lap button easily accessible, for intervals, or fartleks, or walking break.

I agree, the Garmin 205 is sweet in its usability. I also like having a four-data display--pace, distance, total time, and time-of-day. And I like having the lap button easily accessible, for intervals, or fartleks, or walking break.
I forgot to mention that lap button, very easy to hit, just be careful not to hit the stop button right next to it.... I've done that before....

One question: when I get back from runs, I usually leave my Garmin hooked up to the computer until my next run. Is this bad for the battery? The screen says "battery charging complete," so I assume it has stopped trying to charge.

I don't know. It depends on the kind of battery or if the watch has a function to shut down the charging process once its finished: Some kinds of battery do heat up and can be damaged if they are overcharged. With others it's no problem. As far as I remember there is nothing mentioned about this in the notice. It would probably be a good idea to ask this question directly on the Garmin Website.

The 305 Forerunner model is probably the very best of the series in terms of functionality and absence of bugs. Unfortunately it seems that it is not produced anymore. (Anyway it would be too expensive for me :()

Holy crap the price of the 305 has gone up. Ouch, I wouldn't have been able to afford it either at that price. I picked mine up new with the 2 separate bike attachments (the mount and the cadence/speed sensor) for under $180 I believe.

BUT there is a problem with the FR 10 (there always is, isn't it?): Apparently it was conceived as a beginner's watch (it has everything a beginner needs and nothing else); the problem is, the rechargeable batterie inside needs to be recharged after only 4 hours or so (compared to 8 hours for the FR 110).
Thanks! This is very useful. After my run this morning with my Nike watch, I've been thinking about getting a new watch. The Nike watch doesn't export data, so I was having a hard time trying to figure out my 5K time. The Nike website will display an achievement for PRs such as Fastest 5K, 10K, etc, but it doesn't provide the actual data, so I couldn't figure out how close I was to my PR. (By extrapolation, I probably missed it by 10 sec).

So, apparently the FR10 doesn't show lap pace or average pace. Looking at the FR110, it doesn't show current pace. Oh my, only the expensive watches do everything!

Solution: BAM! I'll consider getting the FR110, which has the extended battery life, shows lap pace, and exports data. I can also continue to wear my Nike watch which shows current pace and has a nifty, colorful website. Why not? Two wrists, two watches. My right wrist is bare and useless, so might as well put it to good use. (Okay, I do wear my RoadID on the right.) So, I'm being a bit silly, but these things are expensive, and even the top of the line models have flaws. Seriously, I could wear two watches for two sets of data points (okay 1 data set since Nike won't export, but the 2 watches would serve different purposes). Something for me to think about ...

Thanks! This is very useful. After my run this morning with my Nike watch, I've been thinking about getting a new watch. The Nike watch doesn't export data, so I was having a hard time trying to figure out my 5K time. The Nike website will display an achievement for PRs such as Fastest 5K, 10K, etc, but it doesn't provide the actual data, so I couldn't figure out how close I was to my PR. (By extrapolation, I probably missed it by 10 sec).

So, apparently the FR10 doesn't show lap pace or average pace. Looking at the FR110, it doesn't show current pace. Oh my, only the expensive watches do everything!

Solution: BAM! I'll consider getting the FR110, which has the extended battery life, shows lap pace, and exports data. I can also continue to wear my Nike watch which shows current pace and has a nifty, colorful website. Why not? Two wrists, two watches. My right wrist is bare and useless, so might as well put it to good use. (Okay, I do wear my RoadID on the right.) So, I'm being a bit silly, but these things are expensive, and even the top of the line models have flaws. Seriously, I could wear two watches for two sets of data points (okay 1 data set since Nike won't export, but the 2 watches would serve different purposes). Something for me to think about ...
We're all becoming cyborgs!

Reactions: Sid
Solution: BAM! I'll consider getting the FR110, which has the extended battery life, shows lap pace, and exports data.

But they do! :)
FR 10 does indicate average pace after each lap. And the FR 110 is supposed to show current pace (and it does some seconds later :D)
Both export data onto Garmin Training Center or Garmin Connect.
The FR 10 has additionally three features which the 110 does not have: pace alarm and (alternatively) a run - walk modus (ideal for Galloway method) which can be used as well for interval training. The third advantage is that the 10 is really waterproof.
The screen of the 10 is smaller than the screen of the 110, which means you can only see two of four options at the same time: distance, pace, time or calories. To see two different options you would need to fumble with the buttons and risk stepping on unpleasant things. :barefoot:
The screen of the 110 allows to see three options at the same time.
I use the 110 mostly for running alone. If I intend to do intervals or run with someone who needs walking periods or running in rain the 10 comes in quite handy.

As for the expensive Garmin models: it seems (with the exception of the 305) they present all some kind of problem with software (bugs) or hardware (e.g. touchring not functioning under rain). At least that's what people who tried them out told me...

FR 10 does indicate average pace after each lap. And the FR 110 is supposed to show current pace (and it does some seconds later :D)
Both export data onto Garmin Training Center or Garmin Connect.
The FR 10 has additionally three features which the 110 does not have: pace alarm and (alternatively) a run - walk modus (ideal for Galloway method) which can be used as well for interval training. The third advantage is that the 10 is really waterproof.
The screen of the 10 is smaller than the screen of the 110, which means you can only see two of four options at the same time: distance, pace, time or calories. To see two different options you would need to fumble with the buttons and risk stepping on unpleasant things. :barefoot:
The screen of the 110 allows to see three options at the same time.
I use the 110 mostly for running alone. If I intend to do intervals or run with someone who needs walking periods or running in rain the 10 comes in quite handy.

As for the expensive Garmin models: it seems (with the exception of the 305) they present all some kind of problem with software (bugs) or hardware (e.g. touchring not functioning under rain). At least that's what people who tried them out told me...
Hey one question: with my Garmin 205, the only real complaint I have is that in the software, I can't figure out how to delete laps. So for example, if I talk a few walking or stretching/massaging breaks, and want to later delete those so that I can see what my overall pace was while running, I have to go back into the watch and delete the walking/stretching laps there, and then reload the running laps into the software. If you know a way around this, I'd appreciate hearing about it. It's not a big deal, just a little annoying.

Great info! Thank you!

Any idea, if any of them will show the average pace for the current lap? Such as the current mile so far, while one is running that mile, rather than at the end of the mile?

Edit: I thought that the features would be clearly documented in the manual. Nope.
I'm considering a manufacturer refurbished one as well, as it seems that the current ones may not be as good as the old ones?

Hey one question: with my Garmin 205, the only real complaint I have is that in the software, I can't figure out how to delete laps. So for example, if I talk a few walking or stretching/massaging breaks, and want to later delete those so that I can see what my overall pace was while running, I have to go back into the watch and delete the walking/stretching laps there, and then reload the running laps into the software. If you know a way around this, I'd appreciate hearing about it. It's not a big deal, just a little annoying.

I'm not quite sure to understand what you mean.
With "software" I imagine you mean a special program to analyze your runs on your computer (and not the software inside the watch)?
If you use Garmin Trainings Center to analyze your runs, you click on the lap you wish to delete and hit the delete button on the keyboard. That's how it works on Mac. For PC I have no idea.
If you are using another analyzing program I don't know how it would work.

Any idea, if any of them will show the average pace for the current lap? Such as the current mile so far, while one is running that mile, rather than at the end of the mile?

Edit: I thought that the features would be clearly documented in the manual. Nope.
I'm considering a manufacturer refurbished one as well, as it seems that the current ones may not be as good as the old ones?

No, they don't show average pace for the current lap so far (or if they do, I haven't found the button yet :D)

The manual for the 110 is o.k
The manual for the 10 is clearly lacking useful information - you learn how to use it by trial and error (by wildly fumbling with the buttons whilst stepping on stuff :D)

"the current ones" that "may not be as good as the old ones" - you're speaking of manuals or watches?

"the current ones" that "may not be as good as the old ones" - you're speaking of manuals or watches?
I meant the watches, but it appears to apply equally to the manuals.

I ordered a refurbished 305. I've been trying to hold off on purchases due to general and holiday expenses. I suppose that I could call this an early gift to myself or a black friday purchase. Exercise equipment is considered to be a wise investment in my future and well-being, right, right?

Thanks to everyone for the advice on watches!

I'm not quite sure to understand what you mean.
With "software" I imagine you mean a special program to analyze your runs on your computer (and not the software inside the watch)?
If you use Garmin Trainings Center to analyze your runs, you click on the lap you wish to delete and hit the delete button on the keyboard. That's how it works on Mac. For PC I have no idea.
If you are using another analyzing program I don't know how it would work.
OK, thanks to your confirmation that it should be possible, I see now that I was trying to delete laps from the wrong display. I was trying to delete from the right side 'totals' display, but what I need to do is to click on the lap under the run's folder on the left. Like I said, I'm a real techno turd. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Great article and the rest of the site is very informative too. I'm definitely going to incorporate many of his ideas in my training now. I'm going to be doing a half marathon in May next year and full marathon is September so I'm thinking I will adapt this article to me and try to design my own training program.

I had seen his calculator before though and for me the paces just don't seem to work at all. Fact is I could not keep up his pace suggestions without my HR going way above the %'s he recommends. For example he says the long run should be at X pace and should be about 70% of Max HR, the easy run at X pace and 75-85%. If I tried to run at his suggested paces I'd be up around 85-90% max HR in about 5-10 mins. That's using the old 220-age formula for MaxHR though and I've heard it's not the most accurate thing. I must say I like his calculated race paces though! Says I should be able to do the Marathon in 3:35 which I'd be totally stoked with. :)

Maybe I need to really increase my endurance or maybe I need to get a specific Max HR test done, I'm not sure.

Great article and the rest of the site is very informative too. I'm definitely going to incorporate many of his ideas in my training now. I'm going to be doing a half marathon in May next year and full marathon is September so I'm thinking I will adapt this article to me and try to design my own training program.

I had seen his calculator before though and for me the paces just don't seem to work at all. Fact is I could not keep up his pace suggestions without my HR going way above the %'s he recommends. For example he says the long run should be at X pace and should be about 70% of Max HR, the easy run at X pace and 75-85%. If I tried to run at his suggested paces I'd be up around 85-90% max HR in about 5-10 mins. That's using the old 220-age formula for MaxHR though and I've heard it's not the most accurate thing. I must say I like his calculated race paces though! Says I should be able to do the Marathon in 3:35 which I'd be totally stoked with. :)

Maybe I need to really increase my endurance or maybe I need to get a specific Max HR test done, I'm not sure.
Glad you liked it too. Keep in mind that his suggested paces presume training at the distances for which the paces are given:

"Do keep in mind that a 5K runner is unlikely to run the equivalent time in the marathon off of 5K training. The runner would obviously need to train for the marathon to accomplish this equivalent time."

So for example, if I can run a mile in 7:40, I should be able to run a half mary in a little over two hours, according to McMillian's formula. But I can't really, because I haven't worked up to that distance yet. I would imagine I would have to run 12-15 miles once a week for several months before my mile time would translate well into my half marathon time.

BTW, I'm also thinking about a half marathon in April or May next year, if I can make good progress in the meantime. Right now my farthest run is 8-9 miles, but it's a bit of a strain on my left knee, so I think I need to back down a bit for a while before I try to push distance again. Good luck on your training!

Reactions: PKFFW
Exercise equipment is considered to be a wise investment in my future and well-being, right, right?
That's how I try to justify it. I think most insurers would agree.
Specifically for the running gadgets, I know my Garmin has transformed the way I think about running since I got it in June. Very good motivational tool--well worth the money, although it seemed capricious at the time.

Reactions: Hobbit and Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090