Minimalist shoes that fit...

soleless

Barefooters
Dec 27, 2011
I am a walker, and occasional runner, and I have always done so either barefoot or with cheapo flip flops, mostly because that's what I've been able to get away with. However I have recently moved to a place with a colder winter climate and started a part time job that requires a closed toe shoe. Currently I am wearing a cheap skechers sneaker, and having a tremendous amount of foot pain after an 8 hour shift of walking around and standing. I want to get something that is closed toe but as close to barefoot as possible. My main problem is that I have a very fat foot. I wear a size 13 4E. I did find a NB that is available in a 2E, and was thinking about ordering it in a 14 to try and get a shoe that might fit, but I think I'd end up having to return a mail order shoe. Any one have any thoughts? It would be greatly appreciated.

VivoBarfoot shoes are wide at

VivoBarfoot shoes are wide at the ball-of-foot but not at the toebox. The Evo and all the shoes derived from it (Neo, etc) have especially narrow toeboxes.

I personally prefer the Altra

I personally prefer the Altra Adams as far as width goes compared to the Neos. I have both. The Neo's also have too much padding or something for my tastes. Maybe it isn't padding but the material. Anyhow it's kind of a pillowy feeling for me. I have wide feet too and have lots of problems finding shoes that fit properly.

I will keep the Altras in

I will keep the Altras in mind if the others don't work out. I had looked at them, but I try and avoid a slip on due to my high instep. I had someone mention Softstar shoes to me, but I think I will save them as a last resort (I worry about durability with them). Thanks for the input, I will let you know what I think of the Vivobarefoot shoes.

Well, the shoes arrived

Well, the shoes arrived today. I ordered everything in a 14 in hopes of getting the width I need. It worked out okay. I ordered a pair of the Neo's, the Neo Trail's and because I couldn't help but giggle at the thought of leaving a ninja footprint if I stepped in a puddle wearing them, a pair of the Achilles M's. The Neo proved to fit the best, though I honestly think that a lot of the better fit comes from the material it is made out of. The toebox dooesn't allow too much room for toe splay for me, but it felt a lot better than the sneaker I have been wearing. On the Neo Trail, the ball of the foot was tight, like uncomfortable tight. I think this would probably stretch to a comfortable fit with wear, but I don't know if I want to do that. So I haven't decided yet if I'm going to be keeping them. It was reall uncomfortable with a sock on and "restriciting' with out one. I haven't tried it without the insole in, so that might make a little difference. I'll be sure and post if it does. The flip flops are awesome, and thanks to an unseasonably warm day I took them out and walked through a puddle. Footprint left behind = NINJA! If it helps anyone, none of these shoes would have worked if I had ordered them in my regular size 13, I am very certain of that. Let me know if I didn't cover anything.

Just thought I would post

Just thought I would post another little update after some time in the Neo's. They are slightly too narrow for my feet in the ball of the foot, but the toe box is really not wide enough now that I am used to them. They aren't the most comfortable shoe, but I still like them more than what I was wearing. The good news is that my local running shoe store finally got some VFFs with laces in my size. I tried them and they felt amazing! They were the Bikila LS. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what the Speeds feel like compared to them. I strongly prefer the look of the speeds over the Bikila, and I also think that having a traditional lacing system might allow more room for width, but I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on that. Thanks again for the help.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon