Minimalist bike shoes

pbarker

Barefooters
Sep 19, 2010
I commute by bike everyday to work. My old winter bike shoes are absolutely stiff clip-in plastic lead weights and I could not see myself riding in them anymore since going barefoot. I switched out my clip-in peddles for flat peddles, took a leap of faith and started wearing my water shoes on my bike commutes.

I have been surprised how well it works with a good pair of winter socks and on the extremely cold days I add one more pair of socks and plastic bread bags to cut the wind.

My new peddles. I have taken out the pegs. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442630767&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693563

My old bike shoes http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619907&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692667

Anyone else had it with stiff binding bike shoes.

Just before the bad weather hit I managed to get a few barefoot rides in and throughly enjoyed feeling the wind on my toes.

It's weird, but I actually

It's weird, but I actually love my stiff bike shoes. Biking is so technology driven, it's like the opposite of my barefoot running. I like training at those two extremes.

I'm enjoying a "freer"

I'm enjoying a "freer" approach to cycling after being a competitor and technology slave for a couple of decades. I really like the MKS GR-9 platforms coupled with Power Straps. I've ridden with Toms, LL Bean canvas sneakers, etc and haven't found performance to suffer greatly, although admittedly I haven't gone more than 75 miles on an outing with this setup. Best thing of all is not clopping around like a pack horse in a pair of Sidi's with Look cleats . . .

Tenderfoot I am trying to

Tenderfoot

I am trying to figure what to use for on my road bike next TRI season.

platforms coupled with Power Straps maybe the ticket. It looks like the diagonal strap may promote a slight pigeon toe position. I have been finding I engage the big toe a lot more since getting rid of my stiff shoes.

I totally understand your

I totally understand your concern over pigeon toeing with the power straps. The key is to get the adjustment right, so that you enter and exit slightly pigeon toed, but your foot rotates into the proper orientation when the desired tightness is reached. I've seen people riding the power straps set up too tightly, so they can't get the proper orientation.

Going from cycling shoes to all purpose shoes, I suppose it is natural to transition more to the big toe area in your contact patch, since that is the biggest strongest structural component on your foot. At least that makes since in my head . . .

Some of the tri guys here in Denton have gone to single speed tri bikes with GR-9s with power straps. They're competing well and like the simplicity. I understand a guy recently won one of the area tri's on a ss bike, but I don't know what his pedal set up was.

Actually I like the toe-in

Actually I like the toe-in position it engages the big toe and prevents the ankle from rolling in. With stiff shoes this is not a problem because the shoe compensates of bad position.

I am not ready to give up gears as I think high cadence is efficient and puts less force on the knees, but I have not tried one so I will not knock it until I try it.

Here is a good video that explains the importance of the big toe position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLjwAZVkrY

Err, I should have read your

Err, I should have read your post more closely - what I would call "proper toe-in" you referred to as "slight pigeon toed". The problems I've seen are people with the straps ratcheted down to where they can basically just slide their feet in or out. But yes, properly set, they do promote the ability to utilize a proper angle, whatever that is for you. I like around 5 degrees, consistent with the float on a lot of pedals.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7