Mileage Reporting 36er Week of 2013

lee, wtf? why am i categorized with jen and not nick?

Mike is just (extra) bitter and angry about any "Jen and Mike" categorizations of any sort, from when Rick came to visit, and he and his wife, and Mike and I, ran on Wildwood, together -and Stefanie accidentally thought WE WERE MARRIED! BWAHAHAHAAA! She may have never figured it out if I had not mentioned my husband was 60! I have to admit, I was a bit traumatized by that, myself! :p

I had a good day off yesterday and it included going to the golf course, walking and playing some holes with 2 other guys. While we were waiting for the other guy to show up, the starter was talking with us and at one point he pointed at my feet and said, "You've been attracting some notice going around barefoot like that. People've been talking and saying, 'Doesn't it hurt?' I tell them that there are actually lots of coaches who recommend practicing some swings barefoot to feel the connection to the ground."

I said, "If it hurt, I wouldn't do it! It feels good, it makes me happy while I play. Also, Sam Snead learned to play golf barefoot, just a poor kid growing up in West Virginia."

Then a few minutes later, a young woman who often works the register, came out and saw that I was barefoot. She got an expression on her face of like that must hurt and it must be impossible.

It's amazing how many people think that going around barefoot must be the most painful thing in the world. That's what happens to people who grow up in a culture that demands we wear shoes so much. We don't know how strong our feet can be.

Question:
I can't run today, or walk. Because my body is begging me to rest my legs and feet, and I'm going to listen.
Then I'm also pretty tired in my lower back from the weight lifting and the rowing I do for cardio (and probably also from running in my shoes).

I should do more of the rowing cardio, because I need to be good at it for the competition I'm prepping for. I'm aiming for 2 times a week but want to do it 3-4 times a week. I just can't get up to that. I feel over trained and drained. And then I feel guilty if I give myself a rest day more than planned.

Do you guys also feel bad if you don't get your planned training in?
Should I suck it up and do the cardio and not feel bad and guilty for resting?
It's tough if you're competing, but it definitely sounds like you're getting signs of overtraining. And we all know what comes after that: injury. I don't compete in anything these days, so I have the luxury of being able to give full undivided attention to listening to my body when it talks back, but I think in your case you have to weigh short-term versus long-term goals. An injury could set you back months, especially if it's your lower back that's feeling strained. You most definitely do not want to risk a lower back injury.

Speaking of which: Wednesday afternoon -- lower body st. Medium effort. I got some kind of late summer allergy thing going on, and didn't sleep much, so I took it easy after the deadlifts. My form is getting a lot better on the power cleans though, so that's encouraging.

One word: loincloth.

nick, can't you open the door for more air???

jen, sure.

wed easy 3 miler to stretch out the legs. i'll try to do it the next 2 days as WD is on saturday and i wanna kill it.
Yes I was thinking tomorrow I may open it up just part way and stick the fan there so it is blowing fresh cool air in at me.

Posted a question that didn't really belong here.. I'll post it elsewhere.. :)
Hi Line Kolbe, sorry I guess I had missed your question, but Lee had quoted it when answering you and I agree with his answer. Unfortunately I know that isn't a yes or no type answer, but when you compete the rules may get bent a little in order for you to prep completely for the competition, which sometimes can lead to injuries. Typically I would tell you that you need to rest because your body is screaming for it, but I know you also have this goal of being ready for the competition, so I guess you are going to have to try to find that balance that allows you to get there in one piece but also has you prepared. Ultimately, the only one who can decide that is you, as you are the only one who really knows what your body is telling you.

Hi Line Kolbe, sorry I guess I had missed your question, but Lee had quoted it when answering you and I agree with his answer. Unfortunately I know that isn't a yes or no type answer, but when you compete the rules may get bent a little in order for you to prep completely for the competition, which sometimes can lead to injuries. Typically I would tell you that you need to rest because your body is screaming for it, but I know you also have this goal of being ready for the competition, so I guess you are going to have to try to find that balance that allows you to get there in one piece but also has you prepared. Ultimately, the only one who can decide that is you, as you are the only one who really knows what your body is telling you.

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I agree.. Tough to decide though..

It's tough if you're competing, but it definitely sounds like you're getting signs of overtraining. And we all know what comes after that: injury. I don't compete in anything these days, so I have the luxury of being able to give full undivided attention to listening to my body when it talks back, but I think in your case you have to weigh short-term versus long-term goals. An injury could set you back months, especially if it's your lower back that's feeling strained. You most definitely do not want to risk a lower back injury.

You are absolute right, I don't want that..

I ended up resting from the cardio today, and went to gym and did chest and shouldes, which didn't stress back och legs. So I did get a workout in :)
I'll have to feel my way forward with the cardio rowing..

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
3.61 miles at a slow and leisurely pace for the first two miles and then the last 1.61 I really picked up the pace a lot. Felt pretty dang good today. Thinking about kind of doing two a days after this week. I am way too inactive and I think my level of non activity is why I struggle to lose weight despite following healthy diets and exercising. I really do sit way more now than when I was an office worker despite my running and working out.

a little 4 miler. not too fast. still congested chest so i spit, coughed, and sneezed lots of phlegm. lovely. did some body weights at the park while the dogs were being dogs.

saturday is warrior dash so i want to have my strength and lungs for that.

lee, gee, thanks. :spititout:

nick, only partially? you naked in there? :wtf:

and yes Mike, old age does suck. Seems I forget a lot of stuff anymore. Hell, my wife has to take my towel and hang it by the shower every morning before she goes to work (she uses the hanger closest to shower and makes me use the one on the back of the bathroom door) because I forget to move it before I jump in the shower because out of sight out of mind. Then I have to use hers or risk her wrath by getting the floors soaking wet. She doesn't like it when I use her towel... :rolleyes:

Did a run with a small group tonight, sort of. 3 of the guys were faster, and went on ahead. The other guy was more my pace, but on the first loop he stopped to fiddle around with his pedometer. So I went ahead and finished that loop, then waited for the pedometer guy to come around but as he came back he veered off to the parking lot and I thought maybe he was done. So I started up again and did the second loop barefoot. I had done the first in Xeros, but the path was such smooth asphalt I decided it wasn't much risk of irritating the small blemish I have on the left foot right now.

The barefoot loop felt so much better. Feet always feel quicker without the interference of the sandals. And I took my first timing of a distance, just to please Queen Barefoot Drama. 1.76 miles in 16:42, which maybe has to be said was a touch above easy because I kind of fartleked at times. So a total of 3.52 miles, don't know how fast the first loop was.

One of the guys before we started said he felt overdressed because of me. :)

Cool 5 mile run at 4:45 am., 82 deg., 62% rh... Ran a different path today. Went by one of my old schools and jumped on the track for half a lap.
I have never been on one of these. I had no idea they were soft and flexible (I could be spoiled if I could find one that was 10 miles long).
Still used 1 layer of KT tape (small cut looks good)
Feet Good
Legs Good
Running Barefoot Good

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon